Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to buy a NEMA 14-50 adapter separately for Charging my tesla Model Y (June deliverY) at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rgul

May 30, 2021
CA
I am expecting delivery of my Model Y in June 2021, and had a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage in anticipation. Do I need to order a NEMA 14-50 adapter separately from the Tesla online store, or does it come with the car. Delivery is June 2021.

Reactions: YForMeee
This strikes me as one of the few examples of Tesla being behind the times. Adding the 14-50 adapter to the car for free and making the L1 adapter an option seems like an obvious move. Or even better, let people choose which of the two adapters they want for free.
I don't agree. Pretty much everyone has a 120V outlet in their garage. Only a small amount of people will have a 14-50. If they made 14-50 the 'free' one, they'd bug a lot more people who will never use it.

I could see giving the owner a choice of one free adapter of their choosing, but that's a potential nightmare for shipping.

• Love
Reactions: Tha_Ape and Rocky_H
I could see giving the owner a choice of one free adapter of their choosing, but that's a potential nightmare for shipping.
I don't see how it would be any nightmare for shipping. It's just like ordering anything from their store, just as people already do. It would be a little programming setup in the accounts. People's accounts with a new car could get set up with a marker or redemption code. Then people just order an adapter through the online store like any other. But in the checkout, they just have a dropdown or checkbox or something that says "Redeem my free adapter". And that would trigger to mark it as used up in their account. That shouldn't be that complex. I have been a fan of this idea for a while, as a lot of people are deciding to do 14-30 or 6-20 outlets.

Reactions: Tha_Ape and jsight
I am expecting delivery of my Model Y in June 2021, and had a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage in anticipation. Do I need to order a NEMA 14-50 adapter separately from the Tesla online store, or does it come with the car. Delivery is June 2021.
You need a NEMA 14-50 adapter. I ordered on from Tesla and am waiting for delivery some day. The one that comes with the car is only a 120 volt plug.

I don't agree. Pretty much everyone has a 120V outlet in their garage. Only a small amount of people will have a 14-50. If they made 14-50 the 'free' one, they'd bug a lot more people who will never use it.

Agreed - if you have our are running a 50A circuit to your garage many/most people will opt for a dedicated wall charger. (My local utility has a discount program that required a wi-fi enabled Clipper Creek charger.) 50A receptacles aren't really designed for repeated use, anyway and will tend to wear out.

This strikes me as one of the few examples of Tesla being behind the times. Adding the 14-50 adapter to the car for free and making the L1 adapter an option seems like an obvious move. Or even better, let people choose which of the two adapters they want for free.
I disagree - the L1 adapter works everywhere and can be used in case of emergencies on the road. L2 would only work at home; I think it's an example of Tesla going the conservative route.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I think the one caveat on the Gen 1 was that there was no built in heat sensor notification. Meaning if the plug got too hot, there
was no way to get notified of that, nor would the car automatically reduce the charging voltage to create less heat. This happened
to me the other day when I was charging and my garage was 107. I got notified that the wall plug temp was too high and it cut
the charging speed in half. Might have saved a fire? Who knows but something to consider...

So I ordered a Nema 14-50 and installed a 50amp circuit in my garage. For camping trips, I believe the 30amp outlets are common in Colorado. So in addition to a 14-30 (does that come standard with a Model Y now?), what else do I need?

Exactly. In the US people might have any of say one of six possible 220 outlet standards in their garage. That that assumes they even have a 220 outlet. Some places only has gas hookups for the dryer, Then some don't have any dryer (gas or electric) in their garage, but inside the house.

So exactly right. 120 is the only thing you can say 99% of homeowners have in their garage. If you're a condo owner, live in apartment, or just have a carport or street parking you might not even have 120 available either.

So I ordered a Nema 14-50 and installed a 50amp circuit in my garage. For camping trips, I believe the 30amp outlets are common in Colorado. So in addition to a 14-30 (does that come standard with a Model Y now?), what else do I need?
They use a certain terminology in camping world, that aren't the official NEMA outlet names:
"50 amp" = 14-50
"30 amp" = TT-30
Tesla does not sell an official TT-30 adapter plug, which is kind of annoying, because, as you noticed, they are fairly common. However, there is a really good site called www.evseadapters.com that buys Tesla plugs and takes them apart and modifies them to other plug types, so they can sell some that Tesla doesn't offer. Here is the TT-30 one you want:

The "TT" in "TT-30" is short for Travel Trailer in case anyone wants to know.
Yes, and that still strikes me as really weird that something that strange was allowed into the NEMA naming system. All of the other types have a category number at the start, like 5- or 6- or 10- or 14-. I have no idea how "TT" being a nickname for travel trailer got past the guards to become a real prefix. And it's not like it's a family or category of other outlets. It's just that one!