Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do people live with creaks, rattles, and ticking noise?

Is your Tesla creak, rattle, and ticking noise free?

• Yes

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Yes, but now it is making some of those noises.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • No, but was fixed and now no longer an issue

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really want to get a feel for how many people out there have creaking, rattling, and ticking noise.

Ticking noise is like when you have 3M double sided tape sticking to plastic and is bearly sticking and you remove it.

For me, There was a ticking noise from the left side airbag front A pillar near small the speakers. I have taken it in to Tesla Service twice to fix it. Each time it helped initially but the noise eventually came back.

There is also a ticking on the visor area. This was not there before, but as I used it more, it seems to be loose.

There was a door rattling noise, but I fixed that by opening the door panel and moving the connector wire to the sound dampening area on the door panels. Also I replaced the clips with new ones.

I voted without reading the poll question, as it's answer is opposite of the headline question (changed my vote).

Headline states "Do people live with creaks, rattles, and ticking noise?"
Poll asks "Is your Tesla creak, rattle, and ticking noise free?"

Reactions: Andyw2100
Yeah, live with it, although it really bugs me, there's no time to go back to the Service Center again (been once, didn't fix it). Most of the noise comes from the left rear quarter as the car flexes, and from the drivers door, as the entire panel pulls away frequently. The solution is to thump it back on, but obviously over time that solution ceases to work so well.

Reactions: mike_j
Yeah, but Roadster :) I had an Elise back in the day.

The thing that highlighted it to me was that when it went in to have the noises fixed, together with a couple of other minor issues, I got a Chrysler 300 as the loaner. Not my kind of car, at all, but kudos to Chrysler for building an interior that's way tighter and more together than the Model S. Design-wise, no, but quality-wise, it seemed much better.

I tried having them fix rattles and squeaks. Usually I'd find they'd fix the ones I pointed out, and new ones would pop up in their place. There's a couple really bad ones I'm glad I got fixed, but I don't really have them try for fixes anymore.

The materials in use aren't the greatest, and are on the hard side, and I think they just tend to make noise. I don't think I've been in one yet that didn't have its own soundtrack.

I voted without reading the poll question, as it's answer is opposite of the headline question (changed my vote).

Headline states "Do people live with creaks, rattles, and ticking noise?"
Poll asks "Is your Tesla creak, rattle, and ticking noise free?"
Sorry for the bad title question. I didnt think it through how people would read it. I would have read just like you now that I thought about it.

Reactions: Max*
I've owned quite a few cars over the years and eventually they all develop some unique noises. The worst one I had was an 06 Lexus GS 300; I remember on the forums back then people would post things like "Snap, Crackle, Pop...my Lexus". I replaced that car with an 07 and it was much better.

My Model S had some creaks from new when flexing the body. Those disappeared on their own after about a year. Nowadays it is mostly the sunroof and the occasional cracking noise coming from behind the 17" screen when hitting bumps.

Most of all what I really dislike is the tire noise especially on some roads.

I know it's likely futile (based on the reviews), but I'm going try the tires meant to reduce noise when I need a new set of tires.

I also might try some other stuff to reduce the noise.

In terms of being better or worse I'd say it's definitely worse when it comes to interior design in trying to minimize it. But, it's also so different in not having an engine. So you hear everything.

Historically speaking I've liked cars with stiff suspensions, and they've always had some rattle. The worst was a brand new Cayman that I really wanted to drive off a cliff because the roof liner was making so much noise. I took it back to the dealer on the second day to have fixed.