Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we have any recourse for this insanely poor paint quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update to this thread. Took it in to the Tesla service center and they basically told me to get f**ked. How they can have the worst build and paint quality of any major car maker is pretty shocking. If there's ever a class action lawsuit, please ping this thread. They should really make this right.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyerDude
Just an update to this thread. Took it in to the Tesla service center and they basically told me to get f**ked. How they can have the worst build and paint quality of any major car maker is pretty shocking. If there's ever a class action lawsuit, please ping this thread. They should really make this right.
Nothing you can do about the paint. Vote with your wallet.

• Disagree
Reactions: techmagnetic
Yes Tesla paint is crap. How many automakers are there in Calif? The paint is in compliance with Calif regulations. I knew this going in and had all the HIGH THREAT areas protected with PPF for $1800. You don’t need to do the whole car.

Good luck and hopefully Tesla will step up.

96115126-024-B-4-EAB-A1-ED-AF7467-A588-B2.jpg
I just took my first road trip of about 3000 miles to put my model y at about 4k miles total. I gave her a wash today and holy sh*t, she’s trashed! WTF?! How can the paint quality be THIS bad? Will they fix this? Will tesla take any responsibility for this? If not, where do I take this to get fixed, and what kind of $$ am I looking at dropping here? This is pretty shocking, and giving me serious doubts about remaining a Tesla owner.

Wow. I just had the exact same thing happen. In fact that's why I joined these forums. I have the metallic grey so the pits show up as whiteish or light grey. I'm going to contact them because this isn't right. At 4,500 miles total on the car, I can't even begin to imagine how bad it will be in a few years. Even the plastic fender guard adjacent to the painted areas looks and feels like it's rotting away.

1 drive this was Tesla!! One drive from Portland, OR to Sonoma, CA and now my fender/skirts are nearly down to the primer on all four wheels.
20210119_155053.jpg
20210119_155146.jpg

Attachments

• 20210119_155211.jpg
    20210119_155211.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 54
So question- is this actually a paint issue or is this a design issue concerning the well around the front wheel? Wouldn’t rocks kicked into a panel at high speeds produce this on any car that had this design problem?
This is not a paint issue and the rock chips are occurring based on how the rear fender area is designed vis-à-vis the wheel offset; however, I would not characterize it as a design issue. This phenomenon happens with other vehicles as well. The fix: Tesla should place paint protection film on these areas from the factory to prevent this from happening.

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive and Saturday
This is not a paint issue and the rock chips are occurring based on how the rear fender area is designed vis-à-vis the wheel offset; however, I would not characterize it as a design issue. This phenomenon happens with other vehicles as well. The fix: Tesla should place paint protection film on these areas from the factory to prevent this from happening.

And offer mud flaps

Wow. I just had the exact same thing happen. In fact that's why I joined these forums. I have the metallic grey so the pits show up as whiteish or light grey. I'm going to contact them because this isn't right. At 4,500 miles total on the car, I can't even begin to imagine how bad it will be in a few years. Even the plastic fender guard adjacent to the painted areas looks and feels like it's rotting away.

1 drive this was Tesla!! One drive from Portland, OR to Sonoma, CA and now my fender/skirts are nearly down to the primer on all four wheels. View attachment 630509 View attachment 630510

I think this issue is significantly worse with the Performance trim due to the wider wheel offset and stickier tires. It's a disappointing combination of defective design and lousy paint.

For what it's worth, Tesla service agreed to have third party paintwork done to address this issue on my car. Given, I was starting to get these chips with about 150 miles and raised it immediately with the service app. I'm hopeful they will do a decent job with the paint, and I'm immediately putting on PPF when it is fixed.

Both my Model 3 with 9,500 miles and Model X with 14,000 miles look fine. They are both MSM and both have mud flaps. Model 3 didn’t get flaps until after 6 months and that included the winter. Model X only has flaps in front.

Reactions: Gaige

1 drive this was Tesla!! One drive from Portland, OR to Sonoma, CA and now my fender/skirts are nearly down to the primer on all four wheels. View attachment 630509 View attachment 630510
I know you posted this over a year ago, but I'm here because my M3, 4,000 miles, has the exact same thing - one trip over Santiam Pass, Oregon.
Did Tesla step up? Did you have the area repainted and, if so, what did it cost you, please?
I'm sick to my stomach.

I know you posted this over a year ago, but I'm here because my M3, 4,000 miles, has the exact same thing - one trip over Santiam Pass, Oregon.
Did Tesla step up? Did you have the area repainted and, if so, what did it cost you, please?
I'm sick to my stomach.
Tesla "stepped up" by recently shipping PPF and front mud flaps for free. I realize that is too late for many of us, especially in the midwest where the snow road salt further exacerbates the issue. Also curious on the paint repair cost if anyone has any insight...

Tesla "stepped up" by recently shipping PPF and front mud flaps for free. I realize that is too late for many of us, especially in the midwest where the snow road salt further exacerbates the issue. Also curious on the paint repair cost if anyone has any insight...
And where can I obtain these "free items" for the car I picked up last month?

I've said it many times on this forum. Most of the early Tesla owners in Quebec have had this problem. It is extremely recommended to use good mud flaps and a ppf on the lower part of the car to alleviate this. Paint is thin / fragile on many cars but this one in particular, and the flaring of the body in front of the rear wheel (probably for aero) makes it worse. 11 days (and very few miles) between purchase and ppf and they had to polish my paint before putting the ppf on. AND I had the stock Tesla mudflaps installed...
The mudflaps Tesla provide are not good enough by themselves to protect that area of the car. Buy a good set of mudflaps, and especially install ppf on the lower sides of the car.

hey guys. i was thinking of switching to the blue paint over the white paint. i read/watched that the white paint is better because its a multi-coated paint and that we should go with that over the blue, black, silver. Wanted to get peoples opinion on this and see if they have had a problem with the blue paint over the white paint of if they are equally as bad.

I have the same problem on my 2021 MYP (w/ rear door quarter panel PPF installed).

I was washing the car and noticed there were specs on the lower rear doors and lower rocker.

I couldn’t clean it off and turned out to be chips against the ppf and plastic rocker (sorry for quality of the pics).
30157AA3-ECA2-4B48-A902-FEB308A126A6.jpeg

Attachments

• DED85044-E4DF-4238-ADBA-267002E3C886.jpeg
    DED85044-E4DF-4238-ADBA-267002E3C886.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 38
hey guys. i was thinking of switching to the blue paint over the white paint. i read/watched that the white paint is better because its a multi-coated paint and that we should go with that over the blue, black, silver. Wanted to get peoples opinion on this and see if they have had a problem with the blue paint over the white paint of if they are equally as bad.

The insane orange peel is laughable bad for a car in this price range.

The insane orange peel is laughable bad for a car in this price range.
I noticed that also. I have Red and it is no where near that. In fact, its very smooth. Dont know if its because its a multi coat paint or what. Anyway. I have seen worse. Look at the new Porsche 911's above the rear wheel haunches. Where the slope from vertical meets the horizontal. Seems like the pant pools there. Its awful.