Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you care that the trunk doesn't auto close?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw my Dad's new Kia that he paid $37K for. The most expensive vehicle that Kia has and so it has all the bells and whistles. That includes the little button to auto-close the trunk lid. I kinda wish I was getting that on the Model 3. Not having it is a plus for reliability. I know for sure, Tesla will eventually offer the feature on future model 3's. I don't get in my trunk enough to get all upset about it, but I can vent my first world complain here, right? Do you guys care about this feature?

By the way, the Kia also has the 360 surround view that we all wish Tesla would add....

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and Canuck
It's not a big hatch like Model S or X so its not really needed. The only thing I liked about motorized trunk lids on sedans were not getting any fingerprints on the outside, but thats solved easily by just having a handle on the inside.

The trunk lid is almost vertical when opened fully. Looking at pictures of the hinge assembly I can’t imagine the hardware required to have an auto close setting. Where would it attach to on both ends? Our Escape has powered open and close and I really appreciate it. No issue for me with an unpowered trunk lid on a sedan.
We’re going to have to be careful opening it with a strong tailwind though.

I don't see any need for a powered trunk hatch. The Model S is the first car I've ever driven with a powered hatch, and honestly it doesn't really matter to me. Everyone who tries to use my trunk on my S tries to shut it manually. I think most people will consider the manual trunk to be a "normal" thing.

Reactions: GSP and strykeroz
Just saw my Dad's new Kia that he paid $37K for. The most expensive vehicle that Kia has and so it has all the bells and whistles. That includes the little button to auto-close the trunk lid. I kinda wish I was getting that on the Model 3. Not having it is a plus for reliability. I know for sure, Tesla will eventually offer the feature on future model 3's. I don't get in my trunk enough to get all upset about it, but I can vent my first world complain here, right? Do you guys care about this feature?

By the way, the Kia also has the 360 surround view that we all wish Tesla would add....

I care more that the Frunk doesn't auto close. I'm confident I can close the trunk without damaging it by pushing to hard, but the Frunk can be damaged if pushed too hard in the wrong place.

Reactions: jsrawa
Yes I care. However this is a 35k car (starting price, blah, blah, blah) so it's acceptable.

That said, after driving a Model S for more than 3 years it is the one thing that I miss most. Guess it's kind of a slippery slope for Tesla ... should the button be there, the next request would be for a FOB to control it (super convenient when raining). Adding the button, FOB and power equipment probably tacks another $2k to the price tag. Still, personally I'd pay for it.

Re: frunk, it really isn't any more difficult to close than the S. And while my S has a large useful frunk it is still rarely used because of the huge amount of space in the rear.

After 5 years with the S, the trunk might take a little getting used to but it is fine too. Really not a problem.

The trunk lid is almost vertical when opened fully. Looking at pictures of the hinge assembly I can’t imagine the hardware required to have an auto close setting. Where would it attach to on both ends? Our Escape has powered open and close and I really appreciate it. No issue for me with an unpowered trunk lid on a sedan.
We’re going to have to be careful opening it with a strong tailwind though.

Excellent Point. A good sized tailwind might rip the thing off into my .........dare I say it........absolutely beautiful rear EXPENSIVE glass.

I might have to go buy a $0.99 rope to keep it from overextending due to a nice tailwind. I live in the "Windy City" and Lord knows we have plenty of wind here.

I have to say this: It really wasn't funny, but it was hilarious.

I saw a business exec showing off his Model X downtown Chicago on Michigan Avenue. He opened one falcon wing door and everyone Oooo'd and Aweee'd. Then he opened the other falcon wing and the Oooo's got even louder. The smile on his face was tremendous. Then the "HAWK" ( which is another name for extremely cold wind here in Chicago ) whipped from one side of his Model X and out through the other side taking every sheet of paper out of his briefcase down the street with no chance of recovery as the papers blew UP the side of a building landing on a canopy 3 stories up.

It wasn't really funny, but for some reason I couldn't stop laughing.

Last edited:
I've had to replace my latch recently.

upload_2018-1-14_14-45-43.png

Here's the problem when you have issues with the latch:
  • Car won't lock when walking away. You have to manually hit the lock button from the screen to lock your car. Keyfob will not lock it.
  • Autopilot features will not work as it thinks your liftgate is open. Say goodbye to summon, TACC, self parking, Autopilot, auto lane change.
  • Annoying beep warning you the liftgate is open. There is a workaround it if you have a passenger. But if you don't it will continue to beep annoyingly for 1.5-2min.
  • Took Tesla forever to get the parts necessary to repair what should have been something simple. Brought car in December 23, 2017 and they ordered parts that day. I took delivery of Model 3 on Jan 5th, 2018 so I just brought in car that day. Parts arrived Jan 10th, 2018 and they repaired that day.
  • I also wonder if they broke my liftgate trim as they left what appears to be broken pieces of green trim removal tool and a single clip dropped in the hole where the latch grabs. On top of that, I told Tesla specifically about the door being unlocked. I took out most items that had any value but I still had my BlackVue dashcam in there. And I called after seeing my car was unlocked and parked outside over the weekend. They finally locked the door properly after voicing my concern.
So I don't know if people will have similar issues on a Model 3 if their latch gives out. I suspect there is still a sensor letting you know it is open when you try to drive off. I haven't tested it. I had asked a service advisor if they could just turn off the sensor so I could at least have all my AP features while waiting on parts. I declined a loaner since they only had ICE cars available and my car was still driveable albeit annoying with the warning beeps.