TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do you ever go to a gas station to clean your windows?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Barry, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Barry

Barry Member

Just took delivery yesterday and got to thinking...

In the winter, do you still go to a gas station to use their squeegee to clean snow-related road dirt off your windshield, headlights and back window?
    If not, what's your method to clean it?

2. 1101011

1101011 Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2012.

Oh yeah, I considered it while on my most recent road trip, but couldn't bring myself to turn in...

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Ick. Those places are smelly, noisy, and dirty. Plus, there are carcinogenic chemicals all over the place. I avoid them like I avoid toxic waste dumps.

I carry a bottle of spray window cleaner and microfiber cloths in the frunk. You can also buy cans of premoistened disposable window cleaning wipes.

If it was really bad and I was away from home I'd go by a self service wash bay.

4. Chrisizzle

Chrisizzle Member

Yes, I admit I used a gas station squeegee. It was then I realized I hadn't visited a gas station in two months. I wondered if that was like stealing. lol

5. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

I used to all the time. Now I carry winded and a squeegee. Wonder how everyone else does it...?

6. kelvie

kelvie Member

I do the same thing -- I keep a bunch of microfibre cloths, windex, and a spray bottle with just water. I have this bottle:

ZEP 32 oz. Professional Sprayer-HDPRO36 - The Home Depot

And on its "jet" setting, it's strong enough to take off bird crap that's even had a few hours to set in.

I also have opti-coat, so I just wait until it rains really hard and drive around instead of going to the car wash.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I know. Sacrilege. I have not done it. I carry all the needed cleaning stuff in the frunk. But a friend of mine did and he told me it felt very odd. But if I really needed to do it, I would do it quickly and get heck outta there.

8. albiwan

albiwan Member

I have done it. Stretch legs, use ATM, buy a soda, wash windows, get a packet of beef jerky.... Some habits die hard. Funny, the old Tesla website used to encourage one to calculate the value of time saved not stopping at gas stations into the savings equations, but sometimes ya gotta stop for a slurpee...

9. Barry

Barry Member

Just think how many times you got gas and didn't clean your windows. you're just playing catch-up now.

10. scottm

scottm Active Member

#10 scottm, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    When I pulled into a gas station on recent trip to clean windows, and use washroom, and parked at the pump.... I felt guilty for doing a reverse ICED.

"Some poor gas car was going to be deprived of filling up", thought I.

I actually moved the car to a different spot out of the way.

My wife bought me a new squeegee that I keep at home with a bucket of water in the garage.

Hey! Ever gone to a full service gas station, pull in and say "fill 'er up"?

11. ENZA

ENZA Member

never. save myself from the fumes. i'll just windex it with a clean squeegee at home.

12. jak

jak Member

No, but I do drive there to get gas. For my lawn mower. Maybe it's time to research electric lawnmowers.

13. invisik

invisik Member

I feel going to gas stations is a great evangelism technique. Inevitably someone asks about the car. And I just love blocking a gas pump..... kinda sticking it back to them in some small way.

For my daily driving, I usually stop at the same gas station that we'd used for years to gas up other cars.... I know the owner and I've given them enough money over the years in gas and mechanical repairs I figure I can use their squeegee and leave.

In my experience at any random gas station is there are enough cars pulling in or leaving that no one really notices. Go for it! :)

-m

14. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Member

What I like about going to the gas station is getting the car washed without having to buy gas. In Canada washing your car regularly throughout the winter is important to remove all the salt and guck off your car.

15. shady

shady Member

I do this. I could just as easily take the Acura, but it's more fun with the Tesla, although most people don't know it's electric

16. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

I do. I usually park outta the way so I dont reverse "ICE" anyone (aka. "EV'd" at the gas pump)

17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I haven't needed to yet. But I would. Then I could evangelize. Preacher that I am (not!). But I do carry everything I need in the frunk. A friend of mine did and got a kick out of it.

18. invisik

invisik Member

Nice!

-m