Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you hand wash or car wash your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hand washed it the first two years, then with all the rock chips and scratches it has accumulated in 82k miles I stated taking it to car washes. I do a better job hand washing and hand drying than the car wash, but when it is really dirty and I don't have time, I take it to the local car wash with brushes and an automatic dryer. It consistently misses the rear so I end up having to hand clean that part if I have time. Hand drying is really important to me because I can't stand water spots.
You've got a dark colored car (based on you profile picture). Have you used an inspection light to look for swirls? It's been said that this is a consequence of automatic car washes, so I'm curious to see if this has happened to you. For reference, I've only hand washed my car. After 3 years, it was time for me to reseal my paint and reapply my bumper PPF. During this process, I hadn't noticed any swirls on my vehicle.

I do no-brush soap/foam car wash. Then take it home and use the waterless car wash system in the garage. Here in San Diego, we cannot wash cars in driveway so this is my only option besides taking to car washes - which I watched in past and see them use the same clothes on wheels and painted surfaces, etc. So I never let anyone else wash my cars.
You've peeked my curiosity! What is a waterless car wash system? Is this concept similar to dry cleaning? 😀

ONR is a rinseless wash -- still usually uses a bucket, but doesn't require a "hose"
waterless wash -- is taking a waterless wash product, and spraying it on the car and wiping it down gently.
ONR can be used as a waterless wash, and there are many other products out there. If the car is very dirty, don't do this in my opinion - waterless washes should be used as like a detail spray would -- "clean off the top of a clean car etc". if there is a lot of build up go with a contact wash in my opinion after a good pre-rinse, foam soak etc

Will say the pollen here is out of control in Atlanta, leave your car outside it's yellow, drive it, it gets yellow, leave it in the garage it gets yellow......
hosing it down with water almost makes it worse, the car becomes a magnet for more pollen

Last edited:
My car has 96k miles, I'm the original owner, and it's never gotten a "real" carwash or detail in it's whole life. Just drive through carwashes (with brushes). I generally don't pay attention to the condition of my paint and only wash when I'm meeting a client.

I just took a close look yesterday and the paint is pretty FUBAR. Scratches and swirls EVERYWHERE, lots of nicks, dings and rock chips. Took a clay bar to it and got a lot of crap out, but I think I might actually polish it for once.

I think I will treat my next car a little better :eek:

Last edited:
I hand wash mine myself, two bucket method. I'm fortunate to live in a climate where that's possible year round. The only other car I hand washed throughout ownership was my wife's BLACK Audi TT, I didn't want to look at scratches and swirls every day. All our other cars were tunnel washed for the most part. The only reason I am hand washing the MY is the paint quality is reportedly not as good, soft and thickness variation. Who knows, in a few years I may just cave and go back to tunnel washes. I did examine a couple dozen Model Y's in parking lots before I bought mine, and none of them had alarmingly more stone chips, etc. than I expected - fingers crossed.

ONR is a rinseless wash -- still usually uses a bucket, but doesn't require a "hose"
waterless wash -- is taking a waterless wash product, and spraying it on the car and wiping it down gently.
Thanks for the correction.

Note that ONR can be used in the waterless way. I frequently do this when cleaning the back of the car:

1. Spray ONR liberally on a section of the car
2. Fold microfiber cloth three times, giving you eight surfaces.
3. Spray ONR on cloth and wipe in one direction across one part of the car.
4. Change to a different fold of the cloth and repeat step 3.

I've never heard of ONR until today, although I've seen references to no-rinse car wash before. I'd be reluctant to use it if the car was visibly dirty or there was a layer of "dirt scum" on the finish (you know, the layer of fine dirt that stays on even after a pressure wash).

As for automatic car washes, I've used them for years - until I got the Tesla. With it, I'm terrified to take it through those things, even with car wash mode. I'd hate for the wipers to come on, or the charge port to open, or whatever, while in the tunnel, and destroy stuff.

My car has 96k miles, I'm the original owner, and it's never gotten a "real" carwash or detail in it's whole life. Just drive through carwashes (with brushes). I generally don't pay attention to the condition of my paint and only wash when I'm meeting a client.

I just took a close look yesterday and the paint is pretty FUBAR. Scratches and swirls EVERYWHERE, lots of nicks, dings and rock chips. Took a clay bar to it and got a lot of crap out, but I think I might actually polish it for once.

I think I will treat my next car a little better :eek:

yea, blacks a tough paint. looks great from far, then closer you look the more imperfections you see for sure.

You've peeked my curiosity! What is a waterless car wash system? Is this concept similar to dry cleaning? 😀

Haha, not quite, but probably also less expensive than dry cleaning your car. :p

I use this one but many other manufacturers make them. I feel the key is that the car should be fairly clean if using this. That's why I usually pass it through a brushless car wash before actually cleaning it with the waterless wash kit: Elite Finish WashMist Waterless Wash Kit

It may not be as great as some of the other cleaning methods that others mentioned here, but if you can't wash in your driveway, you're a bit limited on what you can do. My cars still look great with this. I washed my previous M3P with this for 3 years and it still looked great when I returned it.

I hand wash with a car mop that has a microfiber head. I clean the mop carefully after each use. Start with windows and top, then hood and top of doors. Finish with lower parts of car and back end.

I rinse with a hose that I use a carbon filter on. This filter removes all iron and other hard water elements and results in no water spots.

I dry with thick microfiber towels and then use Maguiars detail spray wax. I also use this on the windows. It is excellent.

I have not tried ceramics yet. Will have to read up on that and give it a try.

I do things a little different than has been listed.

Step 1: Spray car with foam gun and garden hose. I use either a good foaming car soap, or foaming DIY Detail Rinseless - let it dwell for a few minutes
Step 2: Rinse off the car with water
Step 3a: Spray car again with rinse-less in my foam gun - I put several mitts on the windshield to get them soaked with the wash solution.
or
Step 3b: Fill a bucket with a few gallons of rinse-less solution and toss in several wash mitts
Step 4: Use multiple mitts to contact wash the car - I use one for each section or panel. I have tried the various sponges for this but prefer wash mitts. Each dirty mitt goes into my to be washed bin
Step 5: Dry Car - I spray a ceramic boosting mist/drying aid on panels while drying.

For rinse-less I have used ONR for many years as well as Duragloss Rinseless Wash with Aquawax that is really nice - lately I have been using DIY Detail rinse-less which I like as well - it has a foaming action that is nice.

Our X is currently ceramic coated - our newer Model 3 has yet to be coated...that is on my spring to do list

Weekly routine:
1. Laser touch free wash, i am in a club $30 per month for unlimited daily washes, I have a spare front licence plate (Ohio decomissioned them 2022) that I hang on my x2 kid Subaru rear wipers to also get them free washes as wash reads plates (raised in Romania, old habits die hard).
2. Finish with a microfiber towel top, glass, hood, front, doors, back, spray Meguiar's glass cleaner over stubborn spots,
do wheels, then door sills, quad exhaust tips (gotya, of course on wife's Type S only, no quad appliques yet).
3. Interior glass with microfiber and above.
5. Meguiars detailer spray with microfiber.
6. Home central vacuum (suction that will lift your epidermis) interior, citrus flavored wipes over entire interior.

Twice yearly with seasonal tire changes:
1. Dual pail bucket coconut oil based shampoo x2, rub surface then rinse, repeat for each
surface, top to bottom. Throw away, repeat second wash.
2. Claybar. Adam's Garage LED inspect, fill chips, sand, prime/paint.
3. Eimann Fabrik synthetic wax, Porter Cable orbital polish.
4. Carnauba wax, microfiber polish.

Attachments

• 20220319_190739.jpg
    20220319_190739.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: Heckraiser
I do things a little different than has been listed.

Step 1: Spray car with foam gun and garden hose. I use either a good foaming car soap, or foaming DIY Detail Rinseless - let it dwell for a few minutes
Step 2: Rinse off the car with water
Step 3a: Spray car again with rinse-less in my foam gun - I put several mitts on the windshield to get them soaked with the wash solution.
or
Step 3b: Fill a bucket with a few gallons of rinse-less solution and toss in several wash mitts
Step 4: Use multiple mitts to contact wash the car - I use one for each section or panel. I have tried the various sponges for this but prefer wash mitts. Each dirty mitt goes into my to be washed bin
Step 5: Dry Car - I spray a ceramic boosting mist/drying aid on panels while drying.

For rinse-less I have used ONR for many years as well as Duragloss Rinseless Wash with Aquawax that is really nice - lately I have been using DIY Detail rinse-less which I like as well - it has a foaming action that is nice.

Our X is currently ceramic coated - our newer Model 3 has yet to be coated...that is on my spring to do list
what product are you using for step 5?
i'm always interested in exploring new ceramic sprays and drying aids. currently using beadmaker, but has a flaw that it has static issue which some times can attract dust etc.