Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?

Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?

• Yes- Performance

Votes: 109 29.7%
  • Yes- Non-Performance

Votes: 154 42.0%
  • Have no idea what you're talking about.

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • No-Performance

Votes: 29 7.9%
  • No- Non-Performance

Votes: 49 13.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really it’s probably one of the most common problems that happens and in non AWD Tesla’s it will leave u stranded if you don’t notice issues with it beforehand. Most people don’t know it needs to be replaced until it completely shuts down and aren’t able to drive.

Except not in this thread or the other threads. Read the messages. Everyone is referencing the front cv half shafts.

Can you point to any threads discussing the issue you reference?

Just bought a 2016 MS 75. Is the shudder something I should worry about on this model? Haven't noticed anything obvious other than highway vibration/noise, but I don't do a lot of hard acceleration. It's also my first Tesla, and I don't have much to compare to.

Different issue. Probably wheel balance but if that checks out, you should check the trueness of the hubs or out of round tires.

I brought my MS in 2 times, Tech guys test drive and did not hear anything from the front , but I do have the dashcam and show to him, apparently he can find the problem and I went home with nothing, even point out the Bulletin , he said it happened only you drive with the suspension high. You should lower as standard . What should I do?

I got it fixed less than 2 months ago and it's already back... still quiet but definitely back and will probably get worse over time again. They told me it was the new parts so I guess there's no real fix to this? Has anyone had the fix and not had the shudder come back for more than a few months? Or they screwed me and didn't put the new parts. Never sent the invoice so I'm not sure.

The metal fatigue is real guys. Also this is a real issue. Let me tell you what happened.

I'm in a non-core market zone and my 2017 S90D was never serviced back in 2019. I always heard that rattle/shudder but never made anything out of it. Then in April of 2019 at our drive electric event I was giving test rides in my Tesla to people. I gave maybe 20 test rides with people in all seats, a short 1 mile course in the forest country roads. Doing heavy acceleration for maybe 4-5 seconds on every test. At the last one I heard a very bad sound of something breaking in the front. Turns out, it is the FORELINK ASSY LH. Unbelievable that it broke. (see photo attached) If this happened at highway speeds I could've died. I still can't fathom how Tesla is not taking responsibility for this. Well, turns out the forelinks are indeed a warranty item and they're changing it on every car built prior to mid. 2017 I guess.

So moral of the story, never drive your car with that noise. Also, Tesla definitely needs to find a permanent solution to this.

p.s. I replaced my forelinks (both LH and RH) myself after this. Luckily this happened while going slow so it didn't tear my cowl or other joints in drivetrain. However I still have this noise. My car was just about to cruise past 80k kms (out of warranty) so I drove 1500km in a non-Supercharger zone 4 months ago to the nearest Tesla centre 5 countries away. In my service notes I mentioned this issue.They said they needed to replace some joints, check it and if it does not solve it they need to change the axle. However they don't have said joints in stock and they can't directly change the axle without trying joints first. So they're noting this down and won't leave it out of warranty next time I go. Now my car is approaching 100k kms and I don't know when I can do the 5 country/1500km trip. Definitely not in the winter when you consider 50kW ChaDeMo is all I have for the first 1000km of the trip.

I have a 2020 Model S performance that was manufactured in November 2019. This shudder started with less than 1,500 miles on the car. I have never done a Ludicrous+ hard launch. The car is set to Low suspension always and generally stays on Sport or Ludicrous driving mode and driven daily with what I would call a moderately aggressive driving style. Nothing that a $100k+ performance car shouldn't be able to handle. Now I have to take the car over an hour a way to get "diagnosed" even though it's a known issue. I wish I could make them come get it and deal with this. The car is brand new and still under warranty. Really disappointed with Tesla now. I hope all the haters aren't actually right. Super glad I leased at this point.

I have a 2020 Model S performance that was manufactured in November 2019. This shudder started with less than 1,500 miles on the car. I have never done a Ludicrous+ hard launch. The car is set to Low suspension always and generally stays on Sport or Ludicrous driving mode and driven daily with what I would call a moderately aggressive driving style. Nothing that a $100k+ performance car shouldn't be able to handle. Now I have to take the car over an hour a way to get "diagnosed" even though it's a known issue. I wish I could make them come get it and deal with this. The car is brand new and still under warranty. Really disappointed with Tesla now. I hope all the haters aren't actually right. Super glad I leased at this point.

I also have a 2020 Model S Performance built in Nov 2019 - I have about 1,600 miles on the car now.

I noticed a strange noise a few days ago on hard acceleration but didn't think much of it until today. Today I definitely heard it on a hard pull getting onto the highway. I did not have any vibration, but heard the noise coming from the front of the car. Suspension is set to Standard always and auto-lowers on the highway.

The Tesla Service Bulletin indicates this is a NVH issue only and not related to performance or safety, so I'm not too worried about an immediate fix for safety reasons, but I feel like I should schedule a service appointment to document it, just in case of future Lemon Law...

took the car and brought in the TSB. Tech said I wasn't supposed to have it, LOL. Hopefully they'll fix this...

I did the same thing, while my car was in for an airbag sensor error, and the SC refused to do the shaft replacements. I was told the bulletin does NOT apply to any Raven cars as the magic date in the TSB is when all Ravens were made after. IDK what to do at this point. I do have the shudder and milling sound and was able to be reproduced by the Tesla Tech.

I did the same thing, while my car was in for an airbag sensor error, and the SC refused to do the shaft replacements. I was told the bulletin does NOT apply to any Raven cars as the magic date in the TSB is when all Ravens were made after. IDK what to do at this point. I do have the shudder and milling sound and was able to be reproduced by the Tesla Tech.

That's annoying. What did they tell you about the sound? Lame service.

My Raven performance model also seems to have the issue. Time for them to update that service bulletin!

That's annoying. What did they tell you about the sound? Lame service.

My Raven performance model also seems to have the issue. Time for them to update that service bulletin!

I was told there are 6 other Raven's under investigation/review for this issue and that my Service Advisor will call me when they have more information. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So basically nothing. (2nd time I have been told that the Raven has different drive shafts to go along with the new front motor...again IDK if this is true or not)

The metal fatigue is real guys. Also this is a real issue. Let me tell you what happened.

I'm in a non-core market zone and my 2017 S90D was never serviced back in 2019. I always heard that rattle/shudder but never made anything out of it. Then in April of 2019 at our drive electric event I was giving test rides in my Tesla to people. I gave maybe 20 test rides with people in all seats, a short 1 mile course in the forest country roads. Doing heavy acceleration for maybe 4-5 seconds on every test. At the last one I heard a very bad sound of something breaking in the front. Turns out, it is the FORELINK ASSY LH. Unbelievable that it broke. (see photo attached) If this happened at highway speeds I could've died. I still can't fathom how Tesla is not taking responsibility for this. Well, turns out the forelinks are indeed a warranty item and they're changing it on every car built prior to mid. 2017 I guess.

So moral of the story, never drive your car with that noise. Also, Tesla definitely needs to find a permanent solution to this.

p.s. I replaced my forelinks (both LH and RH) myself after this. Luckily this happened while going slow so it didn't tear my cowl or other joints in drivetrain. However I still have this noise. My car was just about to cruise past 80k kms (out of warranty) so I drove 1500km in a non-Supercharger zone 4 months ago to the nearest Tesla centre 5 countries away. In my service notes I mentioned this issue.They said they needed to replace some joints, check it and if it does not solve it they need to change the axle. However they don't have said joints in stock and they can't directly change the axle without trying joints first. So they're noting this down and won't leave it out of warranty next time I go. Now my car is approaching 100k kms and I don't know when I can do the 5 country/1500km trip. Definitely not in the winter when you consider 50kW ChaDeMo is all I have for the first 1000km of the trip.

Did you post in this thread yet?:

Another front suspension control arm failure

And file an NHTSA complaint yet?

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

The last time this was fixed on my car was at 70K miles under the original bumper to bumper warranty because when it was fixed at 50K miles, it only last a few K miles before coming back. At this point I decided to just lower the car an inch and try it out. After the 4th repair attempt, the problem did not return (currently at 108K miles).

That said, they didn't want to fix again at 70K. They had told me shortly after the third repair at 50K when the problem came back that they were working on a real solution. Concerned about damage and metal fatigue, this is the last email in a long thread that I sent them after they told me verbally that it wasn't a safety issue to drive with the vibration:

Sent on August 28th, 2018:
"
Has there been any word yet on whether a permanent fix has been made available for the front vibration while accelerating issue?

I still don't have a response from the last email be below. The issue has continued to worsen and moderate acceleration causes a pretty severe vibration.

Ludicrous mode is all be useless at this point since even moderate acceleration results in a pretty bad shake.

Is it safe long term to drive it like this? Can Tesla assure me that I won't cause suspension or drivetrain damage or fatigue over the long run?

I'd like to occasionally experience the acceleration the car is capable of but am worried I will damage it.

Based on the noise of the vibration, it appears that the issue is primarily on the right side as it has been the previous times.

Please respond and let me know what I should do."

After this email, they called me and told me to come in for another replacement. Still, I have many thousands of miles on suspension components that experienced the vibration. My fore links are the old part number that fails.

I'm still waiting for them to respond to the fore link issue after many more emails but Tesla just ignores them now. God forbid one fails at speed on a corner. I've told my wife that if I die in a Tesla accident, that she needs to suspect this part and dig up my old emails for legal action.