Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you normally use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" mode with your model Y?

Do you in general use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" in your model Y

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume those plots are all WOT, right?
WOT is the assumption with that test. Chill allows a maximum ceiling of power delivery limiting over throttle at the same point compared to other modes making it more desirable towards efficiency.

Is it possible to modulate to reach similar efficiency with other modes? Absolutely. There isn’t any supporting data how much modulation is actually saving. Yet…

The question we should be asking is what is the power (kW) at various throttle positions by mode.

• Informative
Reactions: andaconda
WOT is the assumption with that test. Chill allows a maximum ceiling of power delivery limiting over throttle at the same point compared to other modes making it more desirable towards efficiency.

Is it possible to modulate to reach similar efficiency with other modes? Absolutely. There isn’t any supporting data how much modulation is actually saving. Yet…

The question we should be asking is what is the power (kW) at various throttle positions by mode.
Thats exactly my point. Its a simple remapping of the throttle. The entire Chill map equals whatever, say it was 50% of the Standard map. So just use 50% of the Standard map, and get better with your foot so you only move 3mm in Standard to get the identical response of 6mm in Chill. (actual % is what it is).

I can see if someone does not have the time or ability (fine motor skills) to calibrate their foot, awesome, use Chill mode. I didn't mean to be insensitive.

Cheers.

Can you achieve maximum acceleration in chill mode? If not, I would not use chill. If yes, I would prefer chill.
I don't believe so. I suspect that if you floor it you're getting only a percentage of the total available horsepower. ut I've not tested it personally, I only had it in Chill mode long enough to realize that the mapping is way too relaxed for my taste. Never pressed all the way down.

• Informative
Reactions: hgmichna
I don't believe so. I suspect that if you floor it you're getting only a percentage of the total available horsepower. ut I've not tested it personally, I only had it in Chill mode long enough to realize that the mapping is way too relaxed for my taste. Never pressed all the way down.
That' correct. The max power is reduced in Chill mode. It is very noticable if you try to pass another car and floor it and the car just doesn't accelerate as you expect it.

• Informative
Reactions: hgmichna
That' correct. The max power is reduced in Chill mode. It is very noticable if you try to pass another car and floor it and the car just doesn't accelerate as you expect it.
That makes sense, especially for something called "Chill" mode. And now I know that I'll never use it. If the sportier mode was overly sensitive and tough to manage at slower speeds then I might feel differently, but I don't find it too aggressive at all, not after a minute or so of driving. They've done an excellent job with the mapping. Still, I would never try to convince my wife to leave Chill mode because she'll never need it. Yes, these people are missing out on all the fun.

If you have the EA S3XY button system, there is a setting where you can drive in Chill mode and when you floor it, it will switch to sport/normal mode. It sounds great, but unfortunately it takes about 3 seconds for the full power to be available. If I need the extra power, a 3 second delay is defeating the purpose.

If you have the EA S3XY button system, there is a setting where you can drive in Chill mode and when you floor it, it will switch to sport/normal mode. It sounds great, but unfortunately it takes about 3 seconds for the full power to be available. If I need the extra power, a 3 second delay is defeating the purpose.
Is it slower than having the setting menu staged and having someone press Sport? haha. That's what my wife does but the other way around😁

The delay in my car is well under a second. When I first set the accelerator pedal threshold to 100% then there would be a fraction of a second delay which felt just like turbo lag. Then I moved the threshold down to 90% and I don't notice a delay.

Unless your system is defective I cannot imagine what would cause such a large delay.

Reactions: Mercimek
The delay in my car is well under a second. When I first set the accelerator pedal threshold to 100% then there would be a fraction of a second delay which felt just like turbo lag. Then I moved the threshold down to 90% and I don't notice a delay.

Unless your system is defective I cannot imagine what would cause such a large delay.
I read that in the manual of the S3XY buttons. I believe the car won't allow a sudden switch between power settings.

I read that in the manual of the S3XY buttons. I believe the car won't allow a sudden switch between power settings.
I didn't know there was a manual for the S3XY Buttons. I looked and still can't find it. Can you provide a link?

My car has no problem switching from chill to normal in well under a second. I cannot imagine why Tesla would implement a feature that imposes an artificial multi-second delay in switching acceleration modes. What would be the point or benefit of such a limitation?

I didn't know there was a manual for the S3XY Buttons. I looked and still can't find it. Can you provide a link?

My car has no problem switching from chill to normal in well under a second. I cannot imagine why Tesla would implement a feature that imposes an artificial multi-second delay in switching acceleration modes. What would be the point or benefit of such a limitation?
I wonder if the various delay times are due to hardware limitations. Because acceleration is mapped, the level of torque at the motor correlates to a specific amount of pressure on the accelerator pedal -- that's what mapping is -- but the maps/curves for Chill and Sport are not the same, so if you're pressing half-throttle in Sport then switch to Chill the car must adjust its torque to match the physical location of the pedal. I imagine there's some nuance to making this physical adjustment smoothly, and each situation will vary depending upon how the car is being driven. It's not a tough algorithm, but there's probably some math behind it, which might explain the time variations.

Last edited:
I wonder if the various delay times are due to hardware limitations. Because acceleration is mapped, the level of torque at the motor correlates to a specific amount of pressure on the accelerator pedal -- that's what mapping is -- but the maps/curves for Chill and Sport are not the same, so if you're pressing half-throttle in Sport then switch to Chill the car must adjust its torque to match the physical location of the pedal. I imagine there's some nuance to making this physical adjustment smoothly, and each situation will vary depending upon how the car is being driven. It's not a tough algorithm, but there's probably some math behind it, which might explain the time variations.
Acceleration is physically limited, of course, but changes in acceleration are not, except by how fast you can ramp current to the motors (which is very fast, on the order of milliseconds). If Tesla added a significant artificial limit to rapid changes in acceleration then a 2 second 0 to 60 time would be impossible. There would be a significant delay before regen kicks in when you take your foot off the pedal while you are accelerating. Likewise, no one's head would get thrown back when the driver floors it.

Granted, they added a small delay before regen kicks in but I think this was entirely for passenger and driver comfort. There is certainly no theoretical need for an overall delay in changes to acceleration and I have seen zero evidence for it while driving my car or while watching videos of other people driving and dissecting Teslas. High acceleration and rapid changes in acceleration are hallmarks of EVs and are a big reason why they are so fun to drive.

Humans don't like rapid changes in acceleration, which is called Jerk, but it is not a problem for mechanical parts. The amount of force on a part is proportional to the acceleration, not to the change in acceleration.

Acceleration is physically limited, of course, but changes in acceleration are not, except by how fast you can ramp current to the motors (which is very fast, on the order of milliseconds). If Tesla added a significant artificial limit to rapid changes in acceleration then a 2 second 0 to 60 time would be impossible. There would be a significant delay before regen kicks in when you take your foot off the pedal while you are accelerating. Likewise, no one's head would get thrown back when the driver floors it.

Granted, they added a small delay before regen kicks in but I think this was entirely for passenger and driver comfort. There is certainly no theoretical need for an overall delay in changes to acceleration and I have seen zero evidence for it while driving my car or while watching videos of other people driving and dissecting Teslas. High acceleration and rapid changes in acceleration are hallmarks of EVs and are a big reason why they are so fun to drive.

Humans don't like rapid changes in acceleration, which is called Jerk, but it is not a problem for mechanical parts. The amount of force on a part is proportional to the acceleration, not to the change in acceleration.
I think we're talking about two different things. I'm strictly referring to the transition from one mode to the other and how the car deals with that, mathematically. In theory, there could be a delay as the new mode "settles" in. I'll just put it that way.

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm strictly referring to the transition from one mode to the other and how the car deals with that, mathematically. In theory, there could be a delay as the new mode "settles" in. I'll just put it that way.
This is not my experience when using kickdown mode or using the S3XY button to switch modes. In addition there is no advantage to significantly delaying the change in acceleration mode since the car already abounds with sudden changes in acceleration. If you have any actual experience with this or if you have a sound theoretical argument for why it would be beneficial, I'd be glad to hear it.

This is not my experience when using kickdown mode or using the S3XY button to switch modes. In addition there is no advantage to significantly delaying the change in acceleration mode since the car already abounds with sudden changes in acceleration. If you have any actual experience with this or if you have a sound theoretical argument for why it would be beneficial, I'd be glad to hear it.
Again, we're not discussing this from the same angle. There is no reason for Tesla to intentionally delay the handoff, and I'm not suggesting that they're doing so. What I'm saying is that you can't simply move from one map to another immediately in every case. To do so would be dangerous.

Here, try this. Say, for instance, that in Chill mode 40% throttle correlates to 20% torque. Whatever the exact number is, doesn't matter -- we know that it's not linear (hence Chill mode). But in Sport mode 40% throttle may correlate to 40% torque. Ok, now keep the throttle where it is but switch from Chill to Sport. Are you asking the motors to immediately jump from 20% torque to 40%? That's the unsafe part. Does the Tesla wait for you to back off the throttle to a point where the new Sport mapping correlates to that same 20%? But what if the driver immediately presses the throttle, then you're heading in the wrong direction if trying to match torque to keep the car steady.

This is over-explaining so hopefully you'll get the spirit of it. As I'd said in my first post, there's some science involved which may be the culprit for some user's experiences with latency. From a standing stop, where there's no throttle, of course there would be no delay, and no reason for it. At full throttle, switching modes... not so fast.

As I'd said in my first post, there's some science involved which may be the culprit for some user's experiences with latency.
I am a physicist. I understand what you are saying and I can tell you there is no science to it. Waving your hands and saying "science" does not intimidate me. You seem to agree that in the general case there is no benefit to limiting the change in acceleration. So it makes no sense for Tesla to go out of their way to limit the change in torque in the special case of changing acceleration modes.

In addition, no user here has reported a significant latency. The only report of a 3 second latency was supposedly from the S3XY Buttons manual which does not seem to exist. All of the actual evidence reported here says there is no significant delay when switching acceleration modes.

Are you asking the motors to immediately jump from 20% torque to 40%? That's the unsafe part.
You are wrong. If rapidly increasing torque were dangerous then the cars would not be able to do 0 to 60 in two seconds. These cars were designed to rapidly increase torque and acceleration. As I've told you before, they are only limited by how fast the current can be ramped in the motors. You seem to be confusing jerk with acceleration. You're intuitive understanding that a rapid change in acceleration or torque is unsafe is simply wrong.

For example, this Electrek article has a graph of the acceleration of a Model 3 doing 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds:

Tesla Model 3 accelerates from 0-60 mph in 4.6 secs – faster than Tesla advertises​

The acceleration goes from 0 to 0.5 g in about a 10th of a second (implying the torque went from 0% to 100% in that same fraction of a second). It makes no sense that a much smaller change in acceleration or torque would require a much longer time period in order to be safe.

One of the significant benefits of science is it helps us to understand nature even when our intuition is wrong.

That makes sense, especially for something called "Chill" mode. And now I know that I'll never use it. If the sportier mode was overly sensitive and tough to manage at slower speeds then I might feel differently, but I don't find it too aggressive at all, not after a minute or so of driving. They've done an excellent job with the mapping. Still, I would never try to convince my wife to leave Chill mode because she'll never need it. Yes, these people are missing out on all the fun.
Driving at 20 mph, the legal limit on 50% of London's roads, is good training for pedal control in Normal mode. I have yet to even try Chill. I would use it in town but for my concern that I would forget to change back when leaving town for the motorways; I am used to the car's available acceleration when required for a manoeuvre in traffic.
However, after the first week of novelty, I rarely " launch" for the fun of it and if I do, I give SWMBO a one minute warning,
( any longer gives her time to muse on concepts of maturity and its "im" and age appropriate driving style. This was never an issue in the diesel BMW😊).