Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you normally use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" mode with your model Y?

Do you in general use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" in your model Y

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 53,000 miles out of my LR factory tires, drive in chill, and find that it’s pretty damn okay!
Let me guess - 19"?

I have the 20" tires and I'm down to 5.5/32" from the original 9/32" at 16,500 miles in 99.999% Chill Mode, which, by the way, is still slightly faster than mashing the accelerator pedal to the floor in a 1999 Buick Regal with a 3.8L V6 engine that I owned. The sense of acceleration in an EV can be deceiving because there's so little noise and vibration compared to an ICEV.

At my current rate, I expect to be down to 2/32" (the minimum legal tread depth here in Texas) at 33,000 miles. That's not horrible, but it's certainly not great and somewhat disappointing.

I originally ordered the 19" wheels because they're $2,000 cheaper to buy initially, replacement tires are cheaper, and they offered a smooth ride. Ultimately, I was not happy with the idea of owning a vehicle with plastic wheel covers, so I changed my order to the 20" wheels and I am very glad I did.

Is it just me or does anyone find it weird that Tesla removes normal mode after getting Acceleration Boost? Its a software setting, why couldn’t they keep Normal and just add Sport as the third option?
I have also thought that was odd. I assume the software function for acceleration accepts a Boolean (or the data model for acceleration is a Boolean) and can therefore only handle two options.

I tried using chill mode but abandoned it; RWD is pretty chill by default.

Last edited:
Reactions: chowdarygm
I didn't know there was a manual for the S3XY Buttons. I looked and still can't find it. Can you provide a link?

My car has no problem switching from chill to normal in well under a second. I cannot imagine why Tesla would implement a feature that imposes an artificial multi-second delay in switching acceleration modes. What would be the point or benefit of such a limitation?
I am trying to find it. I guess it wasn't in the manual, but it was either in a thread here on on their official discord channels. The switch is instand but the power ramps up over some time. The same is true when you change the regen amount. I assume the car does it to avoid a sudden change in acceleration or deceleration when switching.

Will they allow me to change cars before delivery without losing the $250? There is a 9% gray car that is a good deal, but a 10% white car in transit I like better. I sent a message this morning asking if the white one might arrive for 3/31 delivery, but I want to lock in the gray one just in case. I’m not concerned about the supercharger offer, but I do want to collect the CT offer.
Ignore. Not sure how I posted that in the wrong thread.

I am trying to find it. I guess it wasn't in the manual, but it was either in a thread here on on their official discord channels. The switch is instand but the power ramps up over some time. The same is true when you change the regen amount. I assume the car does it to avoid a sudden change in acceleration or deceleration when switching.
I didn’t even know they ran their own Discord server; I’ve now joined —thanks!

If you wanted, you can program the left button on the steering wheel to switch between 'chill' and 'standard mode.' Long press the button and scroll up or down to your choice. Easy switch when you need it without going through the menu system. That's what I did, but I rarely use the normal (standard mode.)

Reactions: hyp36rmax
If you wanted, you can program the left button on the steering wheel to switch between 'chill' and 'standard mode.' Long press the button and scroll up or down to your choice. Easy switch when you need it without going through the menu system. That's what I did, but I rarely use the normal (standard mode.)
Perhaps voice command would work. I shall try tomorrow.

Press the car icon on the lower left hand side of screen. Press ‘Display’ scroll down to ‘Scroll Wheel Function’ and choose ‘Acceleration Mode.’
Good stuff! Thank you! Works like a charm.

1711674892712.png

Reactions: andaconda
normal mode. the power and acceleration are the main reason I got the MYLR, my short list was Mazda CX-5 turbo, Subaru Outback turbo, or Acura RDX. all three options were turbo, which i didn't really want since my 2014 Kia Sportage SX AWD 250hp turbo going bad ($5,000 to replace) was the reason I had to get a new vehicle. it was really fun to drive, i really liked it. i would have gone with either the Honda CR-V hybrid or Toyota Rav4 hydrid if it wasn't for their 8s 0-60 time.

Then I'm surprised by how you're not following. It's best to move on at this point. This topic is almost completely irrelevant anyway but you're making it personal, steering it into a conversation you wish it to be instead of the conversation it is, both of which tell me to resist further explanations.
I'm sorry if my previous post seemed too personal. I hope you will accept my apology. I will try to do better in the future.