Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you prefer Creep On or Off?

Creep On or Off?

• On

Votes: 142 31.1%
  • Off

Votes: 315 68.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess I’m in the minority here. I’ve had it on for the past 6 months now with no plans of turning it off. I feel safer pulling into my garage and parking spaces with it on as it reduces my chances of accidentally hitting the accelerator too hard and launching my 3 into something.

Reactions: Butane and SDKoala
I’m sure this is a dumb question but since I can’t see the rear end of my car, when the car is on hold at at stoplight, are the brake lights on? Also when slowing down with regenerative braking, do the brake lights come on?

Yes to both. Check out the little avatar of your 3 on the screen and you can see when the brake lights turn on. This is slightly harder to see if you have a red Model 3.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and RunMadM3
Guess I’m in the minority here. I’ve had it on for the past 6 months now with no plans of turning it off. I feel safer pulling into my garage and parking spaces with it on as it reduces my chances of accidentally hitting the accelerator too hard and launching my 3 into something.

I am odd too... Driven manual trans cars my whole life, so no "creep" there, yet I like having it on for the Model 3.

I turned it off before I left the delivery center.

I have driven all forms of vehicles in my life. Manuals, autos, cvt’s, etc...

They are all different. You just get used to each car.

I personally think it is a silly concept to artificially try to emulate a different kind of transmission (an auto transmission torque converter specifically). Seems wasteful.

I actually have come to really like a few things about my M3:

1. I can back up my driveway (to get in position to charge) and when I need to roll forward to adjust my angle I just let off the pedal and allow it to roll forward down the driveway without having to change into drive. Works great!
2. Hold is actually really cool. I don’t actively use it a ton, but it is nice when stopped at a light on a hill. I can see that on road trips this could allow a nice break for my foot if I come to a stop.
3. I have recently realized that there is no penalty to throwing the “transmission” into the opposite direction while still moving the wrong way. Since there is nothing mechanically that happens, this does not endanger breaking anything. I think as I get better at this it could allow for some much faster three point turns, etc... Could make for some interesting possible car chase maneuvers.

It does take some getting used to though. The lack of anything stopping the car from rolling the opposite direction when stopped is likely disconcerting for some. The car has less rolling resistance than my BRZ.

I didnt realize DCT transmissions dont have a simulated creep.
That made me think, what is even the reason automatics have creep? Surely a torque converter with a higher stall speed can just be used so the car only starts to move once the gas pedal is pressed?

Higher stall impacts mileage and drive-ability

Great for better performance, not so great for most mass production cars.

Off.

But really wish there was an anti-backroll setting (i.e. never move backwards in D, never move forward in R)

Agreed! This would be an awesome feature! It would allow you to turn creep off but for people that were uncomfortable with the car rolling the opposite direction it would give them a way to avoid that.

I would probably not use it, but it sounds like a lot would.

I wonder if this could be done with the current M3 hardware? Does it have a way of knowing which direction the wheels are rolling? Or does all it get is speed of movement?