Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a Tesla Wall Connector?

Which of these do you use in your garage?

• Tesla Wall Connector

Votes: 78 64.5%
  • NEMA 14-50 outlet

Votes: 43 35.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick poll: do you use a Tesla wall connector or just hook up into a NEMA 14-50 outlet?

Read up on the installation options, and I’m currious whether the extra $500 is worth it.

I drive about 60 miles a day (100 max on some) & am home at least 6 hours a night. Thanks!

I think the best elegant and permanent solution is Tesla High Power Wall Connector.

Its disadvantage is cost.

Pros:
1) permanent, convenient, less problematic than mobile connectors
2) If your electricity rate is Time Of Use, then you need to charge fast enough within the time allotment to avoid paying more.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverFollow
70k miles exclusively on the mobile connector. I usually drive 100 miles a day. I have the old Gen1 mobile connector that does 40 amps but almost always charge at 32. Hasn’t been a problem yet. I have a ToU electrical plan - there’s ample time for the car to charge from 11pm-6am.

Reactions: David99
UMC will generally charge you in less than 4 hours, unless you use the entire range of the car, which then pushes the number higher.

The 14-50 can be used for other purposes, which you may or may not ever use. It also supports other EVs, if friends come over or you get a second non-Tesla EV.

I've got one UMC that stay plugged in at home, the other stays in the car. I've also got 2 EVSEs for my Leaf, one which stays plugged in as well (although only to a 120V 15A plug).

Installing a Tesla HPWC can sometimes enact an electrician's "rich person - charge more" reaction, the NEMA 14-50 doesn't do that.

So, the bigger question is do you need the charging capacity of the HPWC? Do you need the charging capacity of the UMC, or heck, will a 120V plug with the UMC even work for you? All this depends on your driving habits. If the car is in a garage and drive less than 50 miles per day, the 120V plug may be an awesome solution.

I have a Model S100D and I exclusively use the HPWC hooked up to a 90 amp, 240 V circuit. My vehicle charges at 72 A which is all the onboard vehicle charger allows, but this gets me about 52 mi/hr of charging which is fast enough to fully charge, if needed, during my TOU rate plan hours of 11 PM to 7 AM.

Used the UMC/14-50 for six years 121K miles. No issues. If I lived where there was a TOU and had to get the car charged during that time, or if I needed the car to be ready again quickly, I'd get the HPWC. There are some other advantages, like two Teslas, hardwiring, and longer cable, but I'm not likely to need those. If I get another Tesla to replace the Leaf, It can use the Clipper Creek that I currently have.

I am charging @ 24 miles/hour with the NEMA 14-50 circuit (250v x 32a). You would be fully charged in 2.5-4.2 hours.

Even if I bought an HPWC, I would be tempted to just plug it into the NEMA 14-50. That would give me 250v x 40a, or a 30 miles/hour charge. Bumping it up to a 60 amp circuit would give me 250v x 48a or a 36 miles/hour. Maybe someday, but I really don't have a need for more than the 24 miles/hour charge right now.

PS - In a pinch, I have SuperChargers 7 miles away.

Either is fine. The mobile connector charges plenty fast to do your driving needs. The HPWC is just a little nicer, more robust and it's made to be mounted to the wall. It comes down to what you prefer in terms of looks.

The mobile connector should not be left in the rain. I had one die when it got wet in the rain. I believe the HPWC is weather proof.

Personally I installed a 14-50 myself for $50 parts and using the mobile connector in my garage worked just fine for the last 5 years. Just didn't see the need to pay extra for the HPWC as it didn't give me any benefit in terms of speed. In fact I ended up buy a second mobile connector to leave in the car just in case. I just put my signature edition HPWC up for sale here. LOL

Reactions: nativespinner
HPWC for me. I considered a Nema but I had to put the charger outdoors and decided I preferred the Tesla charger for that usage. There are decent options for outdoor Nema plugs but the Tesla looked much better and is much neater than it would have been to have my mobile cable hanging around all the time at the charger.

Also did the Gecko's toes to hold the cable in place. And yes the charger is mounted up high -- I wanted to keep the cable management very tidy and easy to deal with. Very happy with the way it all worked out for me.

IMG_3539.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3539.JPG
    IMG_3539.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 617
As I've posted previously regarding the advantages of the HPWC (now the TWC):

In my opinion:

• Longer cable
  • Permanent/hard-mounted installation
  • Capable of greater power delivery
  • Better cable management
  • Looks cooler

The cable that comes with the car is called the Universal Mobile Connector for a reason... it's designed such that it can be easily moved about and taken with you for on-the road charging. I, for one, never want to be without the ability to charge on the road, hence I always want a UMC in the car.

For me, that would mean having to unplug it, coil it up and stow in the trunk, uncoil at home to pug back in to wall and then car, etc... every day. A lot of work, and I suspect the wear and tear will show itself at some point.

While there's nothing that prevents you from buying a second UMC and leaving it permanently plugged in at home, I find that the there are some less-optimal things about that: the plug head is rather long, and I don't care for the stress that puts on the secondary pins of the head. And I don't car for the unsupported weight of the EVSE module dangling from the plug.

Some folks have come up for work-arounds for this, but quite frankly, the HPWC is now only a bit more than a second UMC, and has the advantages outlined above... which makes it a bit of a no-brainer.

Reactions: Doanster1
I, for one, never want to be without the ability to charge on the road, hence I always want a UMC in the car.

For me, that would mean having to unplug it, coil it up and stow in the trunk, uncoil at home to pug back in to wall and then car, etc... every day. A lot of work, and I suspect the wear and tear will show itself at some point.

In any moderately populated corner of the developed world in 2019, leaving the J1772 adapter in the car is more than enough security. My UMC has been unplugged from the wall to ride along with me less than 10 times in 2 years.

The HPWC is great, but I already had a 14-50 from a previous EV and have never found "it looks cool" or the extra 8 amps of charging speed to be worth the $500.

Reactions: afty
Just @ me next time. :p

I have solar with TOU/Demand. If I want to charge via extreme long distance nuclear fusion and not get smacked with the TOU rate, plus considering my swing shift work schedule, I have to start charging right at 0901 and be done by 1200. Will the HPWC really give me enough of an edge over 14-50?

That depends if your 2012 MS 85 has dual chargers or not. If it does, then yes, you could double your charge rate over the UMC. If not, then no, you're limited to 40 amps either way.

Just @ me next time. :p

...I have to start charging right at 0901 and be done by 1200. Will the HPWC really give me enough of an edge over 14-50?

That's only 3 hours to charge real fast!

Since you have Gen1 mobile connector, the fastest it can do is 29 mph for NEMA 14-50 while HPWC can do 34 mph so the difference is 5 mph x 3 hours = 15 mile advantage.

mq5a5k1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad