Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Documented an erroneous FCW alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Captured a false forward collision warning with the Tesla Safety Score app. Called Tesla, they verified the time, and I matched it from the drive. I have Tesla Insurance so this bug effects what I pay. Tesla sent me an email to which I can reply with the video link so they can look into the incident and hopefully fix this bug.

Reactions: MKVTDI
Your narration (I came to a complete Stop....) is incorrect. You were not driving manually so Beta stoped the car. Beta was making the turn and you did a manual "forced" disengagement with the steering wheel in the turn which probably confused the FCW. Beta looks to be "degraded" by the weather and that can be confusing but it is likely the combination of the "forced" disengagement and the turn that caused the FCW.

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 6.22.37 AM.png

Last edited:
Your narration (I came to a complete Stop....) is incorrect. You were not driving manually so Beta stoped the car. Beta was making the turn and you did a manual "forced" disengagement with the steering wheel in the turn which probably confused the FCW. Beta looks to be "degraded" by the weather and that can be confusing but it is likely the combination of the "forced" disengagement and the turn that caused the FCW.

View attachment 785097
He was in basic AP, not beta, so the car wasn’t going to make the right turn. Regardless, you’re defending a bug based on circumstances in which this feature should still work. Who cares if it is raining or if he disengaged from AP? Should not have triggered a false FCW in what was otherwise a safe and legal turn. Feature is clearly buggy and triggers in other random circumstances (ie, parked cars on side of lane) that are clearly not immediate dangers. Score should not be dinged for factors outside of one’s control.

Score should not be dinged for factors outside of one’s control.

Agreed

Tesla insurance should not be using FCW to set pricing period.

There are a lot of problems with using it within the safety score calculation.
  • It assigns a secondly purpose to FCW that is contradictory the primary purpose. The primary purpose is to warn a driver of a situation, but if its used to score the driver it actually has to allow the situation to unfold to see how the driver responds. Like some people have been using a setting of early so they can intervene before the FCW score hit.
  • There are too many false FCW, and this is going to upset customers. The OP was so "energized" by this that he CALLED Tesla. He didn't just wait till 9am PST to message Tesla, but he actually used a telephone. Then somehow he managed to get Tesla to email him, and I don't know how he pulled that off. He must be using the force.
  • It's going to make drivers skittish. When I was safety score driving I was awful as if I was suddenly transported to the 90 year old version of me. I mostly allowed AP to drive to avoid getting dinged, and then I'd drive for more miles than I needed to do undo something.
  • Tesla doesn't even use the safety score to rate FSD Beta. I'd love to see how many Tesla insurance people would use FSD beta if FSD Beta safety scores were averaged in.

Captured a false forward collision warning with the Tesla Safety Score app. Called Tesla, they verified the time, and I matched it from the drive. I have Tesla Insurance so this bug effects what I pay. Tesla sent me an email to which I can reply with the video link so they can look into the incident and hopefully fix this bug.

You didn’t use your blinker. I’m glad they didn’t do anything about it. You’re the worst type of person if you don’t use your blinker.

collision warnings are ridiculous when determining insurance? What world do you live in lol
See post #4 for reasons why.

Which method do you feel would be better measuring driving skill? Forward Collision Warnings or failing to use a blinker before a turn or lane change?

Now this isn't to say there isn't valid reasons to use FCW'ings. Like for example you're in California and California is known to have more aggressive drivers, and this will likely show up in the safety score as a result of more people cutting you off. So if it is a real reflection of the danger of the environment a vehicle is in then it should be used.

It's just that the cons outweigh the pros.

I live in a world where you need to measure the pros and cons of things. It's also a world where only Tesla factors in the FCW'ings into the insurance rate. They don't do so in California though as they don't use the safety score at all to set the insurance rates in California.

Last edited:
I’m confused. How does he have FSD beta & Safety Score still going? We have FSD beta & Tesla insurance as well, but Safety Score has not returned since getting into FSD beta. Our Tesla insurance premiums haven’t changed either, despite my “animated” driving habits when driving manually.

i just got my second one today. in autopilot a car pulled out a little bit early i usually disengage and let it regen or manually brake if needed but decided to let the car react which was a warning with kinda late braking then continued on. it showed up on the safety score. did Tesla ever get back to you to remove it somehow? thanks.

Reactions: Fiddler
i just got my second one today. in autopilot a car pulled out a little bit early i usually disengage and let it regen or manually brake if needed but decided to let the car react which was a warning with kinda late braking then continued on. it showed up on the safety score. did Tesla ever get back to you to remove it somehow? thanks.
posting a little update on this. since getting the fcw in autopilot, my last 4 days have been perfect 100 scores. wondering if this is Tesla trying to balance the score out maybe? pretty sure i had at least a couple hard brakes and aggressive turns. idk.

Reactions: Fiddler
How did you report this to Tesla ( what phone number did you call) or is there any other way to report this? Twice in two days the car reported a FCW at the same spot on my daily route after i made a turn. This is severly affecting my safety score which is increasing my Tesla insurance premium.

Reactions: clydeiii