Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone charge to 100%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive heard the Tesla lore that you can’t charge to 100% often because it is not good for the long term life of the battery.

I have a Model S Raven Performance and I like the feeling of a full charge - the car is just way faster than charging to 75%.

Anyone have stats on battery degradation on Raven when frequently charging to 100%?

I have access to some.
What would you like to know? I can get details from him(he doesn’t live on forums like this) My closest friend who bought his car new before me has a 2016 MS 75D with AP2.0
He’s actually the one that convinced me to buy a year later my 2017 model S 75
Anyway back to the point. From day one of his delivery, he has refused to play the game of deciding when and how much charge for daily commute or road trips etc....he has NEVER charged to less than 100% on a daily basis. I’m not saying he hasn’t charged to less on a road trip at a supercharger so he didn’t sit there for an hour waiting for it to finish. I’m saying anywhere the car was going to be plugged in for more than a couple hours his settings are ALWAYS at 100%. I get a laugh when I talk about this with him because I’m always setting mine to 80 or maybe 90 at times and rarely to 100 unless I’m getting out on road trips. I have lost in the neighborhood of 5-6% through degradation it seems. Last I talked with him we calculated he’s lost closer to 4% degradation so far with longer ownership and more miles!
I have tried to convince him to take better care of his battery over the years but heck I’ve stopped saying anything at this point.
he enjoys the car and loves it, but he wants it to be simple and require no thought just like what most people someday will want. Remember Steve Jobs famous quote “it just works”

to be clear, I’m not saying he’s right. I tend to believe the science and the experts when they advise us on how to best take care of our batteries. But you asked if any is doing this and the answer is yes.
I will be happy to dig deeper into his use and stats if you like just let me know what questions you might have.

"feeling of a full charge" sounds like you still have range anxiety.

Not sure why you think that the car is way faster at 100% than 75%. It may be slightly faster, but does it really matter when you aren't on the track?

You can charge to 90% and not get any warnings. But how low do you go? If you don't go below 50% when charging to 75% then what does it really matter?

Reactions: PrGrPa
...frequently charging to 100%?

I used to be on the road a lot with my 2012 Model S with frequent 100% charge at home and destination at the start of a trip, and 80% during the trip. I was able to get to my destinations as it was approaching 100,000 miles so I don't think it was degraded significantly.

I still practice the same as above with my current 2017 Model X and 2018 Model 3 but less frequently (down to once or twice a month).

Reactions: 2101Guy
I have access to some.
What would you like to know? I can get details from him(he doesn’t live on forums like this) My closest friend who bought his car new before me has a 2016 MS 75D with AP2.0
He’s actually the one that convinced me to buy a year later my 2017 model S 75
Anyway back to the point. From day one of his delivery, he has refused to play the game of deciding when and how much charge for daily commute or road trips etc....he has NEVER charged to less than 100% on a daily basis. I’m not saying he hasn’t charged to less on a road trip at a supercharger so he didn’t sit there for an hour waiting for it to finish. I’m saying anywhere the car was going to be plugged in for more than a couple hours his settings are ALWAYS at 100%. I get a laugh when I talk about this with him because I’m always setting mine to 80 or maybe 90 at times and rarely to 100 unless I’m getting out on road trips. I have lost in the neighborhood of 5-6% through degradation it seems. Last I talked with him we calculated he’s lost closer to 4% degradation so far with longer ownership and more miles!
I have tried to convince him to take better care of his battery over the years but heck I’ve stopped saying anything at this point.
he enjoys the car and loves it, but he wants it to be simple and require no thought just like what most people someday will want. Remember Steve Jobs famous quote “it just works”

to be clear, I’m not saying he’s right. I tend to believe the science and the experts when they advise us on how to best take care of our batteries. But you asked if any is doing this and the answer is yes.
I will be happy to dig deeper into his use and stats if you like just let me know what questions you might have.

I would be more annoyed by the daily lack of regen than anything else doing this. Does he use regen low as his setting?

Indeed. I should include that above phrase because if I don't need to go for a long trip, I have consistently set my charge to 90% for all of my 3 cars.

I avoid charging more than 80% while on a trip because after 80%, the rate becomes much slower and it's not worth waiting for it.
Exactly. We use 90 on the commuter 3 and 80 on the older X that isn’t used as much. May charge to 100(-ish) when starting a long trip. All of this is well known info and as said Elon recently said 90 daily is recommended.

Faster at 100? Wut?

Reactions: Ciaopec
Sure, 100% nearly every week (before long trips) at home. Basically set it for 90% the night before, and then when I wake up, move the slider to 100%.

Can make it to my destination with only a modest top off (75% to 86%) along the way and arrive at my destination between 13% and 25% depending on the weather.

I charge to 100% semi regularly, mostly before weekends/trips on my 2016 75D. I don’t have any place to charge at home, so the car never really sits at 100% very long (which is really what’s bad for the battery long term).

My typical daily SoC is between 30 and 70%.

I also regularly drive the car down to less than 5% of range left. Lowest I’ve been is 2miles left when rolling into the supercharger. Haven’t run out yet ;-)

My degradation after ~40k miles has been very reasonable.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
100%? Not really. Most of my driving would be ok with <60%. Though charging at home I go with 80% or 90%. Otherwise I’m guided by ABRP and Tesla route planning.

IDK how100% charge might elicit better performance. I’d have thought that’s more related to rate of discharge rather than total charge.

If you look into the older S they are having some issues with battery caps or called batterygate and Tesla capped their batteries to only charge to a certain point.
Also and I could be wrong but I believe Jag and Audi both limited the chargeable space in their batteries as well.

I was affected by battery and charge gate and ended up getting a new battery. I only charge to 80-90% not 100%. Going to full just takes longer and it costs more too.