Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone find their Model 3 seat very uncomfortable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm apparently the only bigger guy here, admittedly I've only test drove for around 3 hours as my car hasn't arrived yet, but I found the seats comfortable enough. I'm also tall and find the head room brilliant, in some cars my head hits the roof
A N Other tesla driver that's bigger than the average bear here!

Love the seats, no major issues with them - was the one reason I had to wait until the end of lockdown 1 to order the car as I had to make sure I actually fit in it!

I should have said adjust the rake first so that your legs are supported then raise the seat (you will/may have to raise the steering wheel) until your view though the rear view mirror top edge view is level with the top edge view of the rear window. Then adjust lumber etc to suit.
This gives me good support and an improved view through the rear window.
PS I'm 6' 4" with a 36" inside leg.

Yeah I found raising the seat slightly and raking it back to bring the front end up a good strategy in this car. There is loads of headroom to play with, at least for my 6’1”

Reactions: Yachtsman
I never feel as though I'm sitting facing exactly straight ahead - feels slightly offset but that maybe due to me using the armrest. Other than that, I think it's comfortable. Not sure about passengers in the back seats on a long journey though...still waiting to test.

I never feel as though I'm sitting facing exactly straight ahead - feels slightly offset but that maybe due to me using the armrest. Other than that, I think it's comfortable. Not sure about passengers in the back seats on a long journey though...still waiting to test.

My passengers claim the back seats are very comfortable too. They actually prefer them to our MX!

Yes, the back seats are too low or the floor to high especially for tall people. If the seats were higher there wouldn't be enough headroom.

Yep. On the few times that I have sat in the back I found that I needed to sit slightly sideways - thankfully lack of transmission tunnel makes this easy/comfortable. I don't think my father in law would fit comfortably though - he has long legs which may well also be inherited by my son. Biggest issue with the rear for me is its much noisier than the front.

My only issue with front seats is no passenger seat memory - I am more often than not a passenger. Obviously not an issue unless it gets changed which unfortunately seemed to be a high proportion of drives with limited use last year and this. Driving wise, our previous car required no seat adjustment between my wife and me driving (and never felt a compromise) even though we are different shapes and sizes but we do have quite different seat positions in the Model 3 - I guess its probably down to that due to seat memory we can.

Sadly for me the whole seating arrangement may force me to give my tesla back. Nothing to do with comfyness etc. They are very comfy. I had a major back operation a few years back, I previously had a Kia sportage so an SUV and this suited my back and leg. I did worry getting a saloon and being lower down I may have an issue.

This sadly has proven to be the case, I've severe back and leg nerve pain I've tried everything every position but I'm still in agony. I've had the car due about 6 weeks now.

Absolutely gutted I may have to return the car and look for another SUV. Can't afford the MX

Sadly for me the whole seating arrangement may force me to give my tesla back. Nothing to do with comfyness etc. They are very comfy. I had a major back operation a few years back, I previously had a Kia sportage so an SUV and this suited my back and leg. I did worry getting a saloon and being lower down I may have an issue.

This sadly has proven to be the case, I've severe back and leg nerve pain I've tried everything every position but I'm still in agony. I've had the car due about 6 weeks now.

Absolutely gutted I may have to return the car and look for another SUV. Can't afford the MX

That’s a real shame. Maybe the Model Y will work for you and should be available fairly soon.

Reactions: Anfieldgaz

That is indeed a real shame. If it's worth anything at all, the first time I started driving BMWs many years ago I got excruciating lower back and leg pain and thought I would have to sell the car. It turned out I had the backrest far too upright and it was pinching off the blood supply to that area. Once I changed the backrest to a far less acute angle it was a revelation. You could give it a try. It will feel really odd at first and you'll have to compensate somewhat with the pedal and steering wheel difference, but it may help a lot.

Reactions: Anfieldgaz
I'm apparently the only bigger guy here, admittedly I've only test drove for around 3 hours as my car hasn't arrived yet, but I found the seats comfortable enough. I'm also tall and find the head room brilliant, in some cars my head hits the roof

Also agree here! Being over 6' I've had no issues with headspace or the seat being uncomfortable. perhaps seat covers may help? You can find a few on Amazon that'll match the OEM color.

That is indeed a real shame. If it's worth anything at all, the first time I started driving BMWs many years ago I got excruciating lower back and leg pain and thought I would have to sell the car. It turned out I had the backrest far too upright and it was pinching off the blood supply to that area. Once I changed the backrest to a far less acute angle it was a revelation. You could give it a try. It will feel really odd at first and you'll have to compensate somewhat with the pedal and steering wheel difference, but it may help a lot.
Thank you for your nice comments and suggestions. So in effect you had the backrest part of the seat "further back" meaning leaning towards the back of the car?

Last edited:
Reactions: Yachtsman
I'm starting to be convinced that the more expensive the car, the less comfortable the seat!

My Golf was great, the i3 not so good, but a small cushion in my lower back made it work for me. The Tesla I haven't yet had a chance to drive long distances, but it starts to become uncomfortable after about 45 mins, Fortunately, it has enough in the way of controls that I can move the uncomfortable spots around!

I think my VW Transporter-based campervan was the best...

My problem with the seats is that the side seat bolsters are set too narrow for my large body. My hips' bone structure is very likely wider than the "average" driver, me being 6'4" tall. I am NOT overweight, and am not having trouble with muscle mass or fat. It is my hips and pelvis. They sit ON the bolsters, not between them. I am constantly tipping my hips up on one bolster so the other one is in the seat.

And after an hour or so of driving, my sciatic nerve hurts.

I have found that placing a layer of memory foam between the bolsters (I use a folded bathroom rug made of memory foam), I can drive much longer without discomfort.

But I wish Tesla had designed their new seats for something a little bigger than the "average" driver.
I'm having the same issue with the side bolsters - it's very uncomfortable and I'm so disappointed with Tesla. Never had any problems with the seats in my model S. Now I'm trying to find some type of cushion that will sit between the bolsters to even out the seat. Would love to hear if anyone has any other suggestions. I've tried adjusting the seat every which way but there's nothing you can do about the sides.

I’ve extensively used 4 Model 3’s since 2019. I’ve noticed a few differences between the seats. Tried the ‘21 back to back with the ‘20 and definitely a difference.

2019, Black Interior, Performance Minus: softer padding with what felt like stiffer fake leather. Got aches in thighs after an hour.
2020, White Interior, Performance: firmer padding with what felt like softer fake leather. Up there with the best seats I’ve had. Was able to drive all day without a single ache.
2020, White Interior, Long Range: identical to the above.
2021, White Interior, Long Range, Made in China: Rather disappointed as these are like the 1st car and I’m aching after an hour. Almost wish I’d got another 2020 now!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I'm having the same issue with the side bolsters - it's very uncomfortable and I'm so disappointed with Tesla. Never had any problems with the seats in my model S. Now I'm trying to find some type of cushion that will sit between the bolsters to even out the seat. Would love to hear if anyone has any other suggestions. I've tried adjusting the seat every which way but there's nothing you can do about the sides.

I havnt gotten around to trying this yet but flattening the seat with a small long triangular cushion leads decent results to bring the aft of the seat up a bit. Apparently a good trial for effect is to fold a towel a few times so it covers the rear half of the seat and if that brings relief a purchase of a foam pillow could be considered.

Glad to hear it! To be fair, I’m not saying they are particularly bad seats. Indeed, many other cars are far far worse. Just noting the contrast to the earlier Model 3’s and a bit disappointed they aren’t as comfortable as I have experienced before.