Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone find their Model 3 seat very uncomfortable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, the seat is the worst thing about the M3. Admittedly, I'm a fairly large guy - 115Kg, 1.8m and broad. I've covered over 20K miles in 6 months and I often have lower back pain that I have not had before from previous cars - Infiniti Q50, Audi A6, BMW 5.

I put it down to the length of the seat. It isn't adjustable to make it longer, so I don't get a lot of support along my upper leg. This seems to then cause lower back pain. I've fiddled with the seat and got it in the best position for me, but after a long drive, my back aches when I get out of the car. It isn't bad enough to make me dislike the M3, but, as with a few things in the car, it could be done better.

I find the lack of support of the rather soft seats and their fairly uncontoured side bolsters not helpful in a car with such power and road handling capabilities as my M3P.
I understand that Tesla has to calculate cost and has to consider what many folks test driving the car may initially find "comfortable". But the cushioning is simply too soft, and the seats have little to no body hold. I already inquired, but there are no alternatives Tesla is offering and no third-party sport seats retrofittable, due to the heavy software integration of the seats with the car's brain.
Standing by to hear anything to the contrary...

Reactions: Durzel
I'm also a bigger guy, what I've found is due to the low height of the seat and car (plus me being 6'2) even after adjusting my leg is part raised at the front overhanging the seat and it's the back of my left thigh where I get most issues! I'm used to it now but on longer drives it can take a little shuffling around to get comfortable - hence why I would have liked to get the model Y, the seats being raised would drop my leg a little resulting in less pain, just have to wait 2 more years for that :p

I'm also a bigger guy, what I've found is due to the low height of the seat and car (plus me being 6'2) even after adjusting my leg is part raised at the front overhanging the seat and it's the back of my left thigh where I get most issues! I'm used to it now but on longer drives it can take a little shuffling around to get comfortable - hence why I would have liked to get the model Y, the seats being raised would drop my leg a little resulting in less pain, just have to wait 2 more years for that :p

yeah i think taller people (me included) all complain about issues with the posterior thigh. for me its the right thigh but im not sure if that means much given that i drive a RHD (and the seat is slightly offset from the pedals and steering wheel)

Seriously guys, there are probably a lot of retrofit seat options. It’s annoying but really for any trim of a car they have to balance comfort and performance to the typical buyer and the aggressive sport driver is probably rare for Tesla.

I get it, and I’m not going to let Tesla out of it, they could simply offer a sport seat upgrade option. But even then, it wouldn’t satisfy everyone within that small set of buyers who would want it. It would make more sense to offer it without front seats for a good chunk off lol!!!!

Aftermarket seat options need to be considered with care, especially seat covers or retrims, because the seats have airbags in them.
Tesla responded to my inquiry about aftermarket seats that, for software integration reasons, there are no options (see my post). But if you know of anyone having actually succeeded without defeating all of the functions the original seat provide and the computer accepts, let us know.

Tesla responded to my inquiry about aftermarket seats that, for software integration reasons, there are no options (see my post). But if you know of anyone having actually succeeded without defeating all of the functions the original seat provide and the computer accepts, let us know.
No, sorry clyde. I'm just making a point about aftermarket tat...

I find the seats themselves comfortable enough, but the headrest is awful. It pushes my head forward and hurts my neck. I've seen a few videos online showing a fix for this but it basically involves removing the headrest, putting it in a vice and bending the legs. I'm not sure I'm up for that (yet).
Rather than bend them you can flip the headrest around and install backwards. Did this on passenger seat in about 5 min and is totally reversible if you don’t like it.

Reactions: intactradio