Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have the Rivian suv?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info but I don't use AP on my current Tesla nor do I care much for self-driving. The charging infrastructure would be a problem but then I charge mostly at home and next year rivian would be able to access superchargers which would make it easier. I definitely agree Tesla might be ahead with tech but again I don't care for much of that. The only reason I don't like the X-wing doors, my lady feels that they draw unnecessary attention and in an emergency, it would not be quick to close
If you don’t care for AP or the tech, and you rarely rely on public charging I think you’ll love the Rivian. Just be aware that it does drive more like a truck than a car. And make sure your lady is ok getting in and out of it as it’s much taller than any Tesla.

I love the looks of the Rivian, the off road capabilities, but with the X price drop it's hard to justify the Rivian right now.
Once Rivian has NACS and brings out their smaller (less $) vehicles, it should be interesting.

Rivian is doing all the right things, but it's going to take some time to catch Tesla. I've not yet gotten hands on with one, but am excited to.

If you don’t care for AP or the tech, and you rarely rely on public charging I think you’ll love the Rivian. Just be aware that it does drive more like a truck than a car. And make sure your lady is ok getting in and out of it as it’s much taller than any Tesla.
Yep. Supercharger integration is coming but date TBD, otherwise a very solid alternative. More space, less infotainment-centric user experience (although annoyingly, still very screen-centered interface, they went halfway on this and it's not as good as Tesla's I don't think)

But it's truly a truck, with all that entails, good and bad. I would argue Tesla is trying to catch Rivian in that regard....nothing they make right now has anywhere near as much real-world carry-and-do-stuff-anywhere capability, and Cybertruck is as yet unproven.

Last edited:
Rivian holds more than the Model X because it is box shaped. This significantly reduces range.
To get back the Range, Rivian puts in a huge battery. This make it heavier with worse ride and handling.
It rides much higher than Model X because it is truck like. This makes getting in and out more difficult.

I would not consider any SUV, other than Tesla, until they can use Superchargers. If they are 2 years away from Supercharger compatibility then I will wait at least two years to consider.

While the Rivian promotes its off road capabilities, I have taken my X off road many times. It performs far better than my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee. Throttle response is better, torque is smoother and more plentiful, traction control is far better and it climbs steep hills better. Imagine the Rivian is better still, but the Model X is good enough off road to satisfy most owners.

Elephant in the room is if Rivian can begin selling their cars for enough $ to keep them in business. Currently they lose $ on every vehicle sold and that is a challenging business strategy.

Rivian holds more than the Model X because it is box shaped. This significantly reduces range.
To get back the Range, Rivian puts in a huge battery. This make it heavier with worse ride and handling.
It rides much higher than Model X because it is truck like. This makes getting in and out more difficult.

I would not consider any SUV, other than Tesla, until they can use Superchargers. If they are 2 years away from Supercharger compatibility then I will wait at least two years to consider.

While the Rivian promotes its off road capabilities, I have taken my X off road many times. It performs far better than my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee. Throttle response is better, torque is smoother and more plentiful, traction control is far better and it climbs steep hills better. Imagine the Rivian is better still, but the Model X is good enough off road to satisfy most owners.

Elephant in the room is if Rivian can begin selling their cars for enough $ to keep them in business. Currently they lose $ on every vehicle sold and that is a challenging business strategy.

The X has practically no ground clearance compared to real SUVs. I had issues with that the one time I drove mine in the snow and only raising the suspension managed to dislodge the car since it had frozen onto the snow underneath it. That was the only time I drove it in the snow before it went full lemon. :mad:

And regarding the ride, I find the R1S is way better than the Model X and is quieter on freeways too (even though I have the knobby all terrain 20s). Harsh bumps are FAR smoother. The X would get my butt off the seat on one bump on a bridge just before my freeway exit that I take all the time. The R1S just floats over it.

Rivian is adding NACS in 2024, so anyone ordering an R1S now *should* get the NACS connector and not CCS.

Reactions: Chris TX
Test drove a Model X and placed an order in October. Delivery date kept getting pushed back further and further. We had some very unpleasant interactions with Tesla and cancelled the X and 2x CTs a few hours before delivery. Purchased a "used" Rivian R1S with 125 miles on it, that day.

The world is a different place after taking off the Tesla rose-colored glasses. The Rivian is SOLID but not like a tank. Around town, put the suspension in Low and Soft and the drive mode in Sport, and it's pretty dang close to a Plaid MX. The range is about the same as the Long Range MX I had ordered. Honestly the only thing I'm missing from the MX is the Steam games capability, which is kind of a gimmick anyway.

I'm hoping to get my NACS adapter this month, as well. It's going to be interesting seeing the looks of other Tesla owners. ;)

Reactions: rpo
Test drove a Model X and placed an order in October. Delivery date kept getting pushed back further and further. We had some very unpleasant interactions with Tesla and cancelled the X and 2x CTs a few hours before delivery. Purchased a "used" Rivian R1S with 125 miles on it, that day.

The world is a different place after taking off the Tesla rose-colored glasses. The Rivian is SOLID but not like a tank. Around town, put the suspension in Low and Soft and the drive mode in Sport, and it's pretty dang close to a Plaid MX. The range is about the same as the Long Range MX I had ordered. Honestly the only thing I'm missing from the MX is the Steam games capability, which is kind of a gimmick anyway.

I'm hoping to get my NACS adapter this month, as well. It's going to be interesting seeing the looks of other Tesla owners. ;)

Yeah, leaving the Tesla ecosystem (except for my wall charger that I use with my R1S with an adapter) has been quite the change after 10 years of Teslas. Now when my Rivian shows me miles of range, I know that I can likely get whatever number it says unless it is below freezing. It's no longer 70% of the reported number (which was never a fun explanation when I have people in the car who ask how far it can go). I could not make a frequent 200-225 mile round trip in my 2019 Model S or 2023 Model X comfortably without charging on the way back, but my Rivian does it fine with a 90% charge and all terrain tires to boot.

P.S. The doors also open and close unlike in my MX. 🤣

Yeah, leaving the Tesla ecosystem (except for my wall charger that I use with my R1S with an adapter) has been quite the change after 10 years of Teslas. Now when my Rivian shows me miles of range, I know that I can likely get whatever number it says unless it is below freezing. It's no longer 70% of the reported number (which was never a fun explanation when I have people in the car who ask how far it can go). I could not make a frequent 200-225 mile round trip in my 2019 Model S or 2023 Model X comfortably without charging on the way back, but my Rivian does it fine with a 90% charge and all terrain tires to boot.

lol when do you think new model X buyers will have their doors fixed? 2025? 2099?

• Funny
How would you compare Rivian Rs1 with the model X I am not sure which to decide. Tesla's constant price drop bothers me. Not so sure about buying another tesla
add EV9 to your comparison

Rivian risk is financial survival long term, I own stock, but not sure if I'd own a Rivian vehicle
Tesla, known, rock solid, no risk
Kia, known, rock solid, no risk

Think you and significant other should test drive both and see what your feeling is. I am not an X fan as it feels too big for me.
I'd rather have an EV9 for the more nimble feel.

just my thoughts....good luck

Does the R1S have auto present doors or are you just saying they don't give you a problem unlike the automatic MX doors which are annoying?

add EV9 to your comparison

Rivian risk is financial survival long term, I own stock, but not sure if I'd own a Rivian vehicle
Tesla, known, rock solid, no risk
Kia, known, rock solid, no risk

Think you and significant other should test drive both and see what your feeling is. I am not an X fan as it feels too big for me.
I'd rather have an EV9 for the more nimble feel.

just my thoughts....good luck

Maybe @rpo has a different take than me... but I actually like the Model X when it performed as intended. The vehicle even with its rather dated underpinnings provides a ton of utility and pragmatic value. If I had some of the well-functioning examples others on TMC get to enjoy (even a rare one without rattles!), I'd probably be a happy owner of one. The issue is Tesla's poor mindset around customer service.

Tesla is definitely not rock sold. And as a result, Tesla has a lot of risk if things don't work as intended. When your Model X has issues, Tesla does not have your back. If that time comes, the only thing that you can rely on is federal and state lemon laws. That's not rock solid in my opinion. Relying on the law to protect your interests is high risk.

Does the R1S have auto present doors or are you just saying they don't give you a problem unlike the automatic MX doors which are annoying?

The doors open and close like a normal vehicle unlike a MX where the doors have not functioned correctly on any built in the past 1.5 years or so since the sensors were removed. If the MX doors just reverted to being normal without the sensors, then great, but the &%%$*% electric motors in the doors fight you when you open them. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: Chris TX
They were getting close with the S and X and profitability
then the 3 set them back and turned a profit five years ago

1711411985067.png

seems the Y production did not set them back much
1711412078079.png

the Y helped them crush it
the M2 will help them crush it, glad its not here yet as the mainstream does not believe in EVs yet
hence their temp falsehood fixation with PHEVs, that btw they don't plug in o_O