Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know the hardware differences between the P3D and 3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, does noone know if there's a hardware differences?
Yes. Elon knows. And he tweeted the details on May 19, 2018. Quote:

“AC induction front & switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet rear. Silicon Carbide inverters in both. Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in.”

That’s what we know about the AWD and Performance drivetrain. And Performance has different brakes.

In the S/X the P models had different fuses or something if I recall (Other than the motors) to support to power throughput to the motors. There could be several things that don't show up on a spec sheet that are different. As of now though, seems to be only software.

Re: Tesla Model 3 will have a ‘Ludicrous’ mode, says Elon Musk

The Model S P85D Ludicrous upgrade (demarcated by a red underline) included the following:

1. Special fuse on the main battery pack and close-monitoring computer system so that the pack could get closer to thermal limits before shutdown, still, the Model S does go into thermal limiting when driven hard for a few minutes (2-3).

2. Tesla replaced the main pack contactor to use Inconel instead of steel. Inconel is a space-grade superalloy well suited for extreme high temperature environments. This superalloy is primarily use in the aerospace industry, and one of its more famous use is in the novel manufacturing process of SpaceX’s SuperDraco engine.

I would imagine that the Model 3 has item #2, but it should not need item #1 because I think the battery pack design and cooling system are improved and the car does not go into thermal limiting, or alternately, perhaps it is capable of even faster speeds but the 3.5s 0-60 is a limit where the car does not need to do power limiting. I am guessing there is no limiting because of 3 track-racing reports that indicated the RWD model did not do any thermal limiting. I also suspect the the P3D model has:

3. More powerful battery cooling system (bigger radiator, or faster pumps, or bigger reservoir, higher conductivity coolant, or whatever)

Last edited:
Based on all evidence so far, there's no HW difference at all, the 3D is simply software limited (regarding rear motor output and likely the general acceleration curve)

Some may turn up in teardowns later, but given the RWD DUs were already shown to use full SiC inverters and handle 800a in software there doesn't seem to be a need for any.

(the 5k performance pack adds some HW diffs, but none related to battery or drive unit)

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
I still think the rear drive units in the 3D might have some sort of cost savings (smaller inverter, fewer magnets?). It has a slightly lower rated power on the EPA website (188kw vs 211kw) but the front is exactly the same. I guess we'll have to wait for a teardown.