TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does anyone know the hardware differences between the P3D and 3D?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Quickturtle, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Quickturtle

Quickturtle Member

It is it just "lot sorting" and software unlock?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Not sure of the specific differences for the 3. Typically the "P" versions have bigger conductors running from the battery, special high power fuses, and a higher power version of the drive electronics.

• Like x 1
  3. Evoixse

Evoixse Member

I mean If your not going to take it to the racetrack its honestly a waste of your money. Especially If your having any trouble justifying the price. It was a no brainer for me at 78k, but then again I'm a gear head. Grind it till ya find it....lol

• Funny x 1
  4. Quickturtle

Quickturtle Member

My main worry is that Elon or Tesla have never given any specs, which makes me think it is just a software thing. Maybe the regular AWD can be unlocked too...

5. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Yup. IMO, the standard AWD should use two permanent magnet motors, while the PD should use the AC induction/PM combo. But no, it looks like Tesla is sticking to the same config for both.

6. Quickturtle

Quickturtle Member

Folks, does noone know if there's a hardware differences?

• Disagree x 1
  7. vletnguyen

vletnguyen Member

No one knows.. wait til you get to the $5k "performance package" debate.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes. Elon knows. And he tweeted the details on May 19, 2018. Quote:

“AC induction front & switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet rear. Silicon Carbide inverters in both. Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in.”

That’s what we know about the AWD and Performance drivetrain. And Performance has different brakes.

9. Perry

Perry Member

Performance base does not have different brakes unless you pay extra $5000 for performance upgrade.

10. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

In the S/X the P models had different fuses or something if I recall (Other than the motors) to support to power throughput to the motors. There could be several things that don't show up on a spec sheet that are different. As of now though, seems to be only software.

11. Beasley

Beasley Member

Yes. The most significant hardware difference is the red paint under “dual motor”. And there are more electrons moving through the wires and less rubber on the tires on the one I’ll be driving.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Seems you pay extra for the increased likelihood something needs to be replaced under warranty.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  13. alchymia

alchymia Member

This is absolutely part of it.

• Like x 1
  14. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Turns out you also pay for the Service Center to have sold you on the Performance upgrade. Of course many are just web-ordered so no commission for the sales team there.

15. systemBuilder

systemBuilder Member

#15 systemBuilder, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Re: Tesla Model 3 will have a ‘Ludicrous’ mode, says Elon Musk

The Model S P85D Ludicrous upgrade (demarcated by a red underline) included the following:

1. Special fuse on the main battery pack and close-monitoring computer system so that the pack could get closer to thermal limits before shutdown, still, the Model S does go into thermal limiting when driven hard for a few minutes (2-3).

2. Tesla replaced the main pack contactor to use Inconel instead of steel. Inconel is a space-grade superalloy well suited for extreme high temperature environments. This superalloy is primarily use in the aerospace industry, and one of its more famous use is in the novel manufacturing process of SpaceX’s SuperDraco engine.

I would imagine that the Model 3 has item #2, but it should not need item #1 because I think the battery pack design and cooling system are improved and the car does not go into thermal limiting, or alternately, perhaps it is capable of even faster speeds but the 3.5s 0-60 is a limit where the car does not need to do power limiting. I am guessing there is no limiting because of 3 track-racing reports that indicated the RWD model did not do any thermal limiting. I also suspect the the P3D model has:

3. More powerful battery cooling system (bigger radiator, or faster pumps, or bigger reservoir, higher conductivity coolant, or whatever)

16. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Does the hardware difference actually matter?

Value just equals willingness to pay.

1 second cost a lot of money on any car when you are in the 4s getting down to the 3s.

• Like x 2
  17. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Based on all evidence so far, there's no HW difference at all, the 3D is simply software limited (regarding rear motor output and likely the general acceleration curve)

Some may turn up in teardowns later, but given the RWD DUs were already shown to use full SiC inverters and handle 800a in software there doesn't seem to be a need for any.

(the 5k performance pack adds some HW diffs, but none related to battery or drive unit)

• Disagree x 1
  18. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

I still think the rear drive units in the 3D might have some sort of cost savings (smaller inverter, fewer magnets?). It has a slightly lower rated power on the EPA website (188kw vs 211kw) but the front is exactly the same. I guess we'll have to wait for a teardown.

19. Quickturtle

Quickturtle Member

20. Quickturtle

Quickturtle Member

YouTuber Ingineerix says that's true.