Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone with AP1 (or pre-AP1) have got any 2019 software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking and I am legitimately curious: why would anyone buy an AP1/MCU1 Tesla at this point? Ironically, I just did it 6 months ago and I regret it and will probably just sell it soon. Especially combined with the terribleness of MCU1 that will most likely never get upgraded to MCU2. To me, these cars are almost worthless now. It's like buying an Iphone 5 at this point. I am really open to counter arguments.

Still far superior to most cars on the planet, if dated compared to a modern Tesla. So the market will set a value somewhere well below the price of a new Tesla, and folks who have been stuck in the last century ICE experience will get their first taste of what a Tesla can be for a little less money.

2013 here with no AP hardware at all... Regarding 2019 upgrades..

I ain't got shhhhhh!

Got the update on Friday evening. Noticed the A/C GUI was different.

20190427_115501.jpg

I've been thinking and I am legitimately curious: why would anyone buy an AP1/MCU1 Tesla at this point? Ironically, I just did it 6 months ago and I regret it and will probably just sell it soon. Especially combined with the terribleness of MCU1 that will most likely never get upgraded to MCU2. To me, these cars are almost worthless now. It's like buying an Iphone 5 at this point. I am really open to counter arguments.
I expected to be envious when AP2 started coming out, but I wasn't. Still am not. But we are on the cusp of FSD and that's beginning to get interesting.

Maybe you have v9 firmware is why you're unhappy with AP1. Understandable. But as I say, I'm staying with 8.1... the car is digesting 18.28.5 at this moment and I'll get the yellow clock soon.

It doesn't look like there'll be an exterior redesign for a while so I'm still going to wait. There's nothing wrong with my car and it is still beautiful and drives great, and I'm not burning oil. I have full control over the software and no AP nags.

With the way the new AP3 is designed it'll be nigh-impossible to crack.

As a side note, I have loved going to new-car shows since I was a kid, 55 years ago, but Tesla has caused me to lose all interest in them. I used to love auto racing too as one of the only sports I had an interest in; no more. I might get interested in eF1. Still love classic car shows though.

I am embarrassed to demo the map to friends when they ride with me since it's so slow. Ah...

Have you tried a “deep” reset? Your description is puzzling to me. I can scroll quite easily and smoothly on my maps (MCU1) and close (within one hour) destinations process within 2-4 seconds. NorCal to SoCal navigation can take around 15-20 seconds to load, but that’s nothing that I would be embarrassed to show my friends.

Objectively, maybe it is 2 seconds, I haven’t done the measurements. Subjectively, it’s awful, especially after trying a 2018 car. That matters more.
I always run satellite maps and still very rarely have any loading lapses, except in limited coverage areas.

I seem to remember a thread somewhere stating that the browser is running whatever site you last used even if not showing, and that it affects performance if you have something complex running. I keep mine on something simple unless I'm actually viewing it.

...unless you are just using MCU speed as an excuse to need a new car, in which case, yeah, MCU 1 is awful and a travesty...;)

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus and bmah
My May 2014 S60 (no AP) got 2019.8.6.3 on April 27th, the first update since 2018.50.6 on February 2nd. Release notes were blank, so I don't know what it was supposed to do, beyond some comments upthread. Haven't looked at climate control but assume that I have dog mode now, although I don't know what it does.

I have a 3000 mile road trip planned for next week so I guess I'll see if anything has changed wrt Supercharging — mine has always been very slow, being a 60 — I'm down to 48 kW at 20%, for example — hope they don't make it any slower! [15% battery degradation (176 RM at 100%), if that makes any difference.]

Nav and maps continue to work very well; I presume that is because my replacement MCU1 is LTE. My browser hasn't worked at all for months (anything to do with being out of warranty?).