Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Everyone have to wait a long time for Tesla Energy to Resolve an issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I admit it - I'm a cheapskate. That's why I'm only wearing an Omega Speedmaster on my wrist, instead of a Patek Philippe.

I do not understand the "you should have known better" argument. How? It's not like "Tesla Support Is Terrible" is pasted on every billboard from New York to Los Angeles. It's not on the evening news. I bet if the clue "Their Support Is Terrible" came up on Jeopardy, even Matt Amodio wouldn't know the question.

It only ever occurred to me to buy Tesla Powerwalls from... Tesla. Who's going to know a product better than the product's manufacturer?

That it matters for analysis - Tesla charged me $25K for a 5kW system with 2 Powerwalls and all associated hardware. And that's the price that I paid - I didn't even try to haggle them. Was that too cheap? You tell me.

Fruitcake

Yeah I think your experience joining this forum got way off on the wrong foot...

Because you came in here with a problem against Tesla... but Tesla also happens to have authorized their logo to be used in the upper-right-hand-corner so it's not like this forum could allow unmoderated digs at Tesla and still retain their use of the Tesla marks in the long term.

Anyway, if you read this Energy Sub Forum, I'd wager about 15% of new threads start with some variation of "how do I get a hold of Tesla I'm being ghosted by my project-advisor or after-install-service-contact." So it's not like this forum stops people from posting complaints. It's just the tone needs to be productive. But there are a ton of complaints.

The main problem for Tesla Energy is they're wildly understaffed compared to every other solar company. They cut their operating costs and pass those savings to customers. So while you may get bids around $2.50 to $3.50 per watt from competitors, Tesla's came in the low 2's before they made Powerwalls a mandatory appendage to solar installs.

And Tesla has the cheapest Powerwalls in the business (well unless you can get government subsidized ones) since they don't mark them up that much.

For perspective, the lowest (non Tesla) bid I had for a 8 kWp DC solar system with 2x Powerwalls here in the Bay Area California was $47,000. Highest bid was $61,000.

Reactions: kairojya and Vines
They sometimes take a while to get to you. It took about 6 weeks to get someone out to work on our solar roof because of lower-than-expected output. Sometime during that 6 weeks, they did some troubleshooting remotely and tried resets. But once they decided they could not fix it remotely, they came out quickly. Actually too soon since we were out of town, and I had to get someone to let them in the yard. And when they determined they needed to replace some tiles they had 4 guys on the job and on the roof in 2 days.

FWIW, I found the phone app much better than sitting on infinite hold to log a call. This went against my Boomer upbringing but was told on these forums that it works better, and I think it did.

By "metering" I mean the actual meters that measure energy flow in the system. Right now, the app shows everything in my home at 0kW. It was reading 0kW from the solar array today even though there was bright sunlight.

As "support" explains it to me, Powerwalls are only supposed to charge from solar. Right now, they think that it is perpetual nightfall outside, because the meters constantly read 0kW from the solar array. So the batteries don't charge. That's the problem.

Fruitcake
I understand your frustration and please ignore negative comments that are not helpful. Not sure how much Tesla Energy support you would get at your location. I chose Tesla solar glass roof (not panels) and PWs not because of the price but because that is what I want and I think Tesla may be around a lot longer than some local companies, your warranty and support is only as good as the company lifespan. I only needed Tesla Energy support once because they did not install the CT1 in my TEG2 and I got 2 support personnel on site a day after my call, but I am close to Tesla Energy office here so maybe that's the difference. I saw the CNBC piece and wonder if anyone actually did the math of how much total Tesla solar installation vs complaints. For some people it may be a lot if you count the ones here, but is this the whole Tesla solar installation population? Just like the car, you would see lots of complaints here but you start to wonder why there is still any demand for the car.

Reactions: kairojya
In
By "metering" I mean the actual meters that measure energy flow in the system. Right now, the app shows everything in my home at 0kW. It was reading 0kW from the solar array today even though there was bright sunlight.

As "support" explains it to me, Powerwalls are only supposed to charge from solar. Right now, they think that it is perpetual nightfall outside, because the meters constantly read 0kW from the solar array. So the batteries don't charge. That's the problem.

Fruitcake
In the interim can you tell people what your system configuration looks like. Brands and Model number of the inverter, etc. There are a lot of people in these forums that are pretty savvy at troubleshooting these systems and their individual components if you are up for that.

I remember someone else posting a similar problem here, but dont remember how it came out. Let me see if I can find it.

Here is the thread I was thinking about. I dont know if its relevant to your situation, @Fruitcake . I remember people talking about the system basically being in night mode, but this was related to delta inverters. In any case, just trying to remember if I read anything here that might help you help tesla get going in the right direction.

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut

Fruitcake
Have you looked at the utility electric meter to see if it is receiving any energy from your house? Perhaps on the App readings are reflecting an incorrectly
wired system meters?

I'm currently waiting 6 weeks for a roof crew to come out to fix the solar panels installed in March (in which only 12 of 24 panels are actually connected to the inverter). They wouldn't do anything about the problem until PTO, which came 5 months after the installation.

Here is the thread I was thinking about. I dont know if its relevant to your situation, @Fruitcake . I remember people talking about the system basically being in night mode, but this was related to delta inverters. In any case, just trying to remember if I read anything here that might help you help tesla get going in the right direction.

I appreciate it, but Tesla has already remotely diagnosed the problem - the Neurio (?) meters are not functioning.

My peeve is not that Tesla couldn't figure out the problem - they did, quite quickly in fact. It's that it's taking too long for them to fix it. Hence my simply wanting to know from this forum whether having to wait months on end for onsite support is typical of Tesla. And from the few replies thus far, it's sounding like the answer to that is "yes."

Fruitcake

Have you looked at the utility electric meter to see if it is receiving any energy from your house? Perhaps on the App readings are reflecting an incorrectly
wired system meters?
Thanks for your suggestion - the electric has been "spinning" both ways (I know it's digital, but I just like the idea of the meter "spinning" backwards).

Tesla already diagnosed the issue - the Neurio (?) meters have failed for some reason or another. They can't fix the issue remotely. Hence, the need for onsite support. Hence, me being told that onsite support would take a month. Hence, me starting this thread.

Fruitcake

Fruitcake
If they have been unable to reset it remotely, then yes, you probably need a new neurio, or at least the wiring physically checked. What you describe sounds like a pretty dead neurio, though not completely dead, or there wouldn't be data of 0kW coming in.

I am sorry that the long wait time was a surprise to you, but it is not out of the ordinary for Tesla in general and Tesla energy in particular.

All the best,

BG

Thanks for your suggestion - the electric has been "spinning" both ways (I know it's digital, but I just like the idea of the meter "spinning" backwards).

Tesla already diagnosed the issue - the Neurio (?) meters have failed for some reason or another. They can't fix the issue remotely. Hence, the need for onsite support. Hence, me being told that onsite support would take a month. Hence, me starting this thread.

Fruitcake
At least you are not losing any energy generation. But, a bummer still.

Yep, I admit it - I'm a cheapskate. That's why I'm only wearing an Omega Speedmaster on my wrist, instead of a Patek Philippe.

I do not understand the "you should have known better" argument. How? It's not like "Tesla Support Is Terrible" is pasted on every billboard from New York to Los Angeles. It's not on the evening news. I bet if the clue "Their Support Is Terrible" came up on Jeopardy, even Matt Amodio wouldn't know the question.

It only ever occurred to me to buy Tesla Powerwalls from... Tesla. Who's going to know a product better than the product's manufacturer?

That it matters for analysis - Tesla charged me $25K for a 5kW system with 2 Powerwalls and all associated hardware. And that's the price that I paid - I didn't even try to haggle them. Was that too cheap? You tell me.

Fruitcake

All I can say is I avoided Tesla Solar purely after reading here and other things on the Internet...I'm a cheapskate too, and my watch was a gift so it costs me $0 and before that, I didn't even wear a watch.

At the end of the day, Tesla Solar support seems to be slow/a mess and reading here opened my eyes. I'll see how long my PTO takes, not expecting much, but hopefully it's faster than some horror stories.

With that said, everything is slower now in society. New cars are long waits, my install was missing some parts too. Expect any issue moving forward with Tesla to take long (and long for other installs too probably).

Main problem with Tesla seems to mostly be not being able to reach anyone to even listen/care. Next time you call, it's a different person.

Positive is you probably saved a lot of $$. Is that 25k before or after all the tax credits?

At least you are not losing any energy generation. But, a bummer still.
Thanks. It is a bummer - mainly because I purchased all this stuff for energy resilience FIRST. Saving the planet, second. Saving a few shekels a month, third.

And that's why I find a monthlong wait to fix it so infuriating. A hurricane isn't going to idly sit around and wait for my metering to be fixed before tearing down all the power lines in my neighborhood. ("Hey Fruity! Can I rain now?") I just sense a complete lack of urgency on Tesla's part.

Of course, why be urgent? If my toilet explodes and I need a plumber to fix it, and Plumber A says they can be there in a month, I can just turn to Plumber B, or Plumber C, all the way to Z, until I find one that provides good service and reward them with my business. If Plumber A doesn't learn, they eventually go OUT of business for lack of customers. And go out of business they should, for providing terrible customer service. This is Market Theory 101.

Here, there's no market. I can't just call a random electrician and have them stop by to fix this. They don't sell Home Energy Gateways at Best Buy. I'm stuck with no alternatives. Hell, forget the warranty service, I would GLADLY PAY someone to come out and fix this tomorrow if I could. But that "someone" isn't there.

Tesla seems to occupy a Twilight Zone-esque niche in the utility market - they're kinda-sorta entering the utility space, but they're not operating with the regulation and oversight of a utility. My electric utility is PSE&G, and anyone who has ever dealt with PSE&G knows that their customer service leaves much to be desired. A few years ago, my neighbors across the street lost local ground, and PSE&G had TWO trucks out there THE VERY NEXT DAY to fix it.

I only fantasize of Tesla being so responsive.

Fruitcake

Reactions: Vines
All I can say is I avoided Tesla Solar purely after reading here and other things on the Internet...I'm a cheapskate too, and my watch was a gift so it costs me $0 and before that, I didn't even wear a watch.

At the end of the day, Tesla Solar support seems to be slow/a mess and reading here opened my eyes. I'll see how long my PTO takes, not expecting much, but hopefully it's faster than some horror stories.

With that said, everything is slower now in society. New cars are long waits, my install was missing some parts too. Expect any issue moving forward with Tesla to take long (and long for other installs too probably).

Main problem with Tesla seems to mostly be not being able to reach anyone to even listen/care. Next time you call, it's a different person.

Positive is you probably saved a lot of $$. Is that 25k before or after all the tax credits?
Hello sunwarriors,

The $25K was before tax credits.

The funny thing in all of this - Tesla's pre-sales support and actual installation process was OUTSTANDING, at least for me.

The pre-sales process was quick and Tesla provided voluminous materials to satisfy my militant homeowners association.

Installation of the Powerwalls took a day and solar another day. No damage, interior or exterior. My roofer is GAF Gold certified and he even recommended Tesla as one of the few solar providers for which he would continue to honor my roof warranty after solar panel installation. Neighbors commented that our installation looked much cleaner and more professional than other neighbors' who entered leased/PPA agreements, where aesthetics tends to come last (if at all).

Two epic 24+ hour power outages over the last year (PSE&G sucks) and the performance of the system was flawless. The lights never even flickered.

And then..... the metering died. Hence this thread.

Fruitcake

Last edited:
Thanks jboy210.

My experience has been the exact opposite, though. Tesla was extremely quick to diagnose the problem remotely. It's the delay in onsite repair that has me flummoxed.

I tried scheduling onsite repair in the app. The earliest I could get was November (that's SIX WEEKS from the onset of the issue)! Only by old-school calling was I able to get the onsite repair down to a month (slightly less, about 3.5 weeks). But I still maintain that the wait time is unforgivable.

Fruitcake

Well, maybe it's all balancing out now with bad service now since it was so good before. Good luck.

I didn't even consider Tesla after everything here and so many other sites I've read. Maybe it wasn't this bad earlier, but Tesla service, even with cars is really hit or miss I've noticed. If $$ is no object, maybe start stocking parts now rather than later. With this supply crunch for everything, can't hurt to have redundancy if people can afford it since some parts are scarce.

Also, labor is scarce and like someone else mentioned, trying to hire an electrician for stuff, they have so much work honestly now so like general contractors, they can pick and choose and don't really want any small jobs.

Well, maybe it's all balancing out now with bad service now since it was so good before. Good luck.

I didn't even consider Tesla after everything here and so many other sites I've read. Maybe it wasn't this bad earlier, but Tesla service, even with cars is really hit or miss I've noticed. If $$ is no object, maybe start stocking parts now rather than later. With this supply crunch for everything, can't hurt to have redundancy if people can afford it since some parts are scarce.

Also, labor is scarce and like someone else mentioned, trying to hire an electrician for stuff, they have so much work honestly now so like general contractors, they can pick and choose and don't really want any small jobs.

Lol if I set up an appointment for my brand new Model 3 via the app ... it's a 6 weeks delay to get into any service center within 20 miles. And I live in East Bay... not the middle of bumfudge. Tesla Service is basically an oxymoron. It's more like Tesla? Service?

Tesla's investors and stakeholders don't care about service anyway... Tesla isn't going to even bother trying since they have no incentive to do so.

Lol if I set up an appointment for my brand new Model 3 via the app ... it's a 6 weeks delay to get into any service center within 20 miles. And I live in East Bay... not the middle of bumfudge. Tesla Service is basically an oxymoron. It's more like Tesla? Service?

Tesla's investors and stakeholders don't care about service anyway... Tesla isn't going to even bother trying since they have no incentive to do so.
Agree. Which is why, after this "service" experience, my wife and I are seriously reconsidering buying a Tesla car to add to the family stable. Maybe another Outback is exactly what the doctor ordered. Economical, reliable, dependable, repairable within a few days notice - everything Tesla "support" isn't.

Fruitcake

Agree. Which is why, after this "service" experience, my wife and I are seriously reconsidering buying a Tesla car to add to the family stable. Maybe another Outback is exactly what the doctor ordered. Economical, reliable, dependable, repairable within a few days notice - everything Tesla "support" isn't.
There are other EV manufacturers. You don't have to stick with gasoline to avoid Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.