Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does my car have auto pilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased used 2017 model S from a private dealer.
When the dealer sold the vehicle to me, he said it has autopilot. He said he even confirmed with the service department that the car does have basic autopilot.
Now when I contacted tesla customer care to upgrade to FSD, they said first I need to purchase basic autopilot and then upgrade to FSD. Basically they are saying that the car doesn't have autopilot.
This is my first Tesla, so I am not sure either just by looking at the options.
Can anyone tell me if this car has the basic autopilot or not?
20190718_164202.jpg

Doesn’t look like it. You should expect some auto steer settings in there if you have the basic autopilot package.

There’s a lot of confusion on this feature, particularly with third party dealers. Most have trouble differentiating between the presence of the hardware on the vehicle and the enablement of software features.

Sometimes dealer ignorance can work to your advantage. Dealer didn't know difference between AP1 and AP2 until I explained it. He said car had auto pilot and I verified it had EAP. Dealer had no idea and neither did I until I had Tesla send me the original Monroney sticker. Was pleasantly surprised to find car had FSD.

Sometimes dealer ignorance can work to your advantage. Dealer didn't know difference between AP1 and AP2 until I explained it. He said car had auto pilot and I verified it had EAP. Dealer had no idea and neither did I until I had Tesla send me the original Monroney sticker. Was pleasantly surprised to find car had FSD.

I'm sure the OP will appreciate the salt you just dipped his wound in..

...not...

No, you don't have Autopilot.

If you do, your screen would allow you to configure at least 2 things clearly labeled as in the quotation marks:

1) "Cruise Follow Distance": You can change to any number from 1 to 7
2) "Autosteer: You can slide the button to turn it on or off.

None of those 2 user-configurable items are on your screen.

Tesla is correct.

Yeah, that's not a thing on the configuration screen. It's a rotary dial on the end of the AP stalk.

Yes. It's also on the stalk but it's hard to take a picture of the stalk to prove that there's a "Cruise Follow Distance" option.

Here's a menu for FSD. Autopilot alone should have at least the first 2 items on the menu:

ZphIPML.jpg

... why would you even say this? Do you brag about how well you can run whenever you meet someone in a wheelchair? I don't understand people

That’s Model S, not 3?

Model 3 and S/X menus were different when S/X had Version 8 prior to October 2018.

As of October 2018, Version 9 which is the picture on post#1 in S/X which was downgraded to look like Model 3 (S/X's screen has 17" but version 9 acts as if all have Model 3 15" screen and can't swap 2 different top/bottom windows any time you want).

For the purpose of this thread, all S, X, 3 have the same Autopilot menu.

...purchased used 2017 model S...

By the way, someone sold you a 17" with yellow border.

It'll cost you several thousand to replace it without warranty.

You might as well start documenting the problem with Tesla just in case you want a free replacement because an easy way out for Tesla in the arbitration is they claim they never heard any yellow border complaint from you:

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

Reactions: srredbeard
By the way, someone sold you a 17" with yellow border.

It'll cost you several thousand to replace it without warranty.

You might as well start documenting the problem with Tesla just in case you want a free replacement because an easy way out for Tesla in the arbitration is they claim they never heard any yellow border complaint from you:

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!
Yeah. I filed claim already.