Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model 3 Need Additional Window Tinting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need some advice on tinting my Model 3. My Model X has very dark tinting and does not get hot at all, but it looks like the Model 3 is much less tinted. I live in CA Central Valley where 100' F is common in the summer.

1. Do the Model 3 windows need additional tinting?
2. If so, which windows should be tinted and what % tinting is best
3. Is it advisable to tint the back 1/3 of the glass roof where it is not presently tinted as dark as the top 2/3s of the roof?

Update: I just talked to a detailer that has been installing 35% tint to all glass on the Model 3. I have no frame of reference to know if that is too much or too little tint. If you have experience with tinting, please let me know your thoughts.

Update: I just talked to a detailer that has been installing 35% tint to all glass on the Model 3. I have no frame of reference to know if that is too much or too little tint. If you have experience with tinting, please let me know your thoughts.
The top of the rear window will be pretty dark if you add 35% tint the the existing heavy tint.

Also, the front side windows are illegal to tint in California, so just be aware you may get ticketed, have to remove the tint, get inspected, then retint after the ticket is resolved.

We're probably going to eventually do 45 Photosync tint on the Model 3, but we're waiting to see if we really need it.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
My installer is suggesting 35% for the rear window so that blends nicely with the OEM tint. You certainly don’t want 35 on your front windows. Similar to my X, you can do 55 in the front and then darker in the back...it will blend.

I got mine done on Friday 30% Suntek all around 75% windshield. Only one I didn't do was the roof in the front seats. The rear window is very long so my tinter had to use two sheets to fit the whole window. He made the cut along the antenna or rear defroster line so it looks seamless. There are two short lines that goes from the endpoint defroster lines to the edge of the window. The rear window tint is gradual so tinter recommended I tint the whole window rather than stop where the OEM tint starts.

Just be careful not to do any illegal tint. My sister is an attorney and has handled a few cases where there are accidents with injuries involved where the guilty party had illegal tinted windows. Judge "threw the book" at them for negligence over the tinted windows and the insurance companies get off making zero payment as the insurance company contracted with what they were to believe was a legal vehicle. Not legal? No contract. The worst of her cases was a child hurt badly. The driver with illegal tint got 12 months incarceration and I forget how much but maybe a million dollars fine and no insurance. Illegal tint is playing with fire.

Think about it. If you ever hit a pedestrian that you just did not notice, and you have illegal tint? You are in some serious trouble.

My installer is suggesting 35% for the rear window so that blends nicely with the OEM tint. You certainly don’t want 35 on your front windows. Similar to my X, you can do 55 in the front and then darker in the back...it will blend.
I got mine done on Friday 30% Suntek all around 75% windshield. Only one I didn't do was the roof in the front seats. The rear window is very long so my tinter had to use two sheets to fit the whole window. He made the cut along the antenna or rear defroster line so it looks seamless. There are two short lines that goes from the endpoint defroster lines to the edge of the window. The rear window tint is gradual so tinter recommended I tint the whole window rather than stop where the OEM tint starts.
Maybe I am misreading what you wrote.... did you put 75% tint on the windshield? If so, that seems like it would be really dark.

Just be careful not to do any illegal tint. My sister is an attorney and has handled a few cases where there are accidents with injuries involved where the guilty party had illegal tinted windows. Judge "threw the book" at them for negligence over the tinted windows and the insurance companies get off making zero payment as the insurance company contracted with what they were to believe was a legal vehicle. Not legal? No contract. The worst of her cases was a child hurt badly. The driver with illegal tint got 12 months incarceration and I forget how much but maybe a million dollars fine and no insurance. Illegal tint is playing with fire.

Think about it. If you ever hit a pedestrian that you just did not notice, and you have illegal tint? You are in some serious trouble.

Thanks for the info, I looked up the California laws on window tinting and came up with this:

Back windshield and back seat windows: No tinting restrictions, but you must have dual mirrors if you apply any tint to the back windshield.
Driver and passenger windows: Film must allow a minimum of 88% light transmission and the total of factory tint + aftermarket tint must allow 70% visible light transmission (VLT)*
Front windshield: No tinting allowed, except top 4-5 inches.

*In order to know what kind of tinting is allowed on the driver and passenger windows, we would need to know what the factory tint VLT is on the Model 3. Does anyone know?

We live in a similar climate to California, (mid summer here right now) and I couldn't live without good tinting.
I go for the darkest legal, (top quality is important) and also have a good tint on the top 5" or so of the windscreen (depending on rake -ie: not interfering with your line of sight) as well.
There is a HUGE difference between cheap tinting and top quality.

A good quality tint will also give about 99% UV protection as well, unlike most side glass.

I just got DUB IR tint on the top glass with 35% VLT ceramic film. When I put the sample piece up to the roof it looked like it would be fine, but the roof turned out pretty dark once installed and doesn't give that airy feel it used to. I'm sure everyone will have their own personal preference, but I'd recommend 50% or greater VLT on the two piece glass roof. During the day time, looking up through the roof makes it feel like its night time. The performance of the film itself is great though.

I’ve been hearing mixed reviews on tinting the windshield. One poster said it made his car useless. Can anyone advise I always do my windshields.

I did the rest of my car and left the windshield. I now realize the shape of the windshield gives the sun a good path to glare in my eyes the majority of the day. I am going to do 70% on the windshield now to protect a bit from the sun glare. 70%+ you don't even notice it is there from the inside, I would recommend it based on my month or so driving the car without it.

For California drivers, be careful the cops love giving tint tickets out there. It is one of the few states you can be pulled over for tint alone, most states make tint a secondary offense that you need to be doing something else illegal to get pulled over for it. I wouldn't go darker that 55% unless you want to be pulling it off at the courthouse two weeks later. The earlier point about insurance was a good one as well, my windows are illegal and my biggest concern is an accident that insurance denies coverage due to tint. I think the model 3 looks like a new car with tint, it is a huge improvement in aesthetics but I don't know if it is worth the risk.

40685297_10216828331091724_7050036289210417152_n.jpg

I live in very sunny Florida. I’m considering ceramic for my model 3. Installer warned against back window because of cracking. Thoughts?

We have ceramic tint on our back window and have had some issues with cracks. The first was a stone chip, so I don’t blame the tint, but the replacement glass has also cracked in two small spots. I’m not convinced it’s the tint since the cracks appeared during cool weather. I would have expected the problems to manifest themselves in the heat of the summer.

Very happy with the tint’s performance, by the way.