Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Pano roof need sunshades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had no issues, even when it was 100 degrees here (one day a year). And I hate being hot. It seems to filter all the heat out and I never feel like it is too bright at all. I love the airiness.

When it's closed, it's just fine. It's when it's open that there is too much light.

I have the removable sunshade for the hatch and just leave it installed all the time. It helps a near-horizon sun not blind a child in a rear-facing seat. It's pretty reasonable to leave in all the time, so you could probably do the same with the roof if you're so inclined.

That said, the hatch is untinted. For the roof the only reason I can see for wanting a shade is you drive with the roof open constantly but don't want the full blast of the sun on you, or you live somewhere blazing hot like AZ and must leave the car outside or are without the ability to crack the windows.

Otherwise, the roof is already really dark. Even here in sunny CA, in my year and a half of ownership I've never wished it was tinted darker.
Same experience here. The pano roof is already tinted adequately, and I don't notice any heat coming from the roof, so never felt the pano roof sunshade was necessary. However, the liftgate hatch window is not tinted at all, and the area under the liftgate feels warmer as a result. Last fall it got pretty hot here in CA, and after purchasing the removable sunshade for the liftgate, I noticed a big difference: while the car was still plenty warm inside after sitting in the sun all afternoon, it wasn't oven-hot. (The app measured something like 108+ degrees F interior temperature without the liftgate sunshade, and 98 degrees F after installing it, under otherwise similar conditions.) I also leave it installed all the time.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Same experience here. The pano roof is already tinted adequately, and I don't notice any heat coming from the roof, so never felt the pano roof sunshade was necessary.

Right. It's not necessary for heat. The only time I've felt any heat from the pano is when it has been parked in the sun all day, and the sunscreen isn't going to help that more than a very minimal amount. Light and bugs are what the pano sunscreen is about.

I hadn't thought of that. Will it stay in place with the roof open and driving?

The metal band around the outside of the sunshade fits well into the groove. I suspect it would come out if a tornado came over your car and the pano was open, but should that occur it would be the least of your problems.

• Funny
I thought the same thing when I ordered the car-- do I need sunshades or extra tinting on the pano? Turns out, this is a non-issue. The OEM glass tint and heat rejection is completely adequate for sunny California where it rains like 5 days a year.

- K
Found this old thread when researching whether or not to get the sunshades for the apno roof.
I am now experiencing my first summer with the Model S. Sun is as high and strong now (end of June) as it ever is, and I felt like I was standing next to a pizza oven when driving two days ago on a bright sunny 85F day. The AC kept the air temperature OK (once it cooled down), but I still felt a blast of heat on my face and head, which must be from the roof. So I am thinking of getting the sunshade (despite the majority opinion that it is not needed, even in CA).

Question: I see in a post above that the sunshade can be left in place if the sunroof is open a little (20%) for ventilation. Can it stay in place for all amounts of opening? Or is it necessary to remove it for larger opening amounts? Thanks!

• Informative
Found this old thread when researching whether or not to get the sunshades for the apno roof.
I am now experiencing my first summer with the Model S. Sun is as high and strong now (end of June) as it ever is, and I felt like I was standing next to a pizza oven when driving two days ago on a bright sunny 85F day. The AC kept the air temperature OK (once it cooled down), but I still felt a blast of heat on my face and head, which must be from the roof. So I am thinking of getting the sunshade (despite the majority opinion that it is not needed, even in CA).

Question: I see in a post above that the sunshade can be left in place if the sunroof is open a little (20%) for ventilation. Can it stay in place for all amounts of opening? Or is it necessary to remove it for larger opening amounts? Thanks!
You can leave it in all the time. It fits in the groove that goes around each half of the pano, and once you get it in, it's very secure.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset and David29
Hmm, your comment certainly makes it sound like a waste of money. Is that what you meant? Other people seem to like it so now I am uncertain...

That would be accurate, except I would insert the word "complete" before "waste".

Don't take my word for it. My $0.02 would be to have the nearest SvC acquire a set if they don't already have one and ask them to install them into your car whilst loaning them to you for a morning or afternoon.

Either that or buy and return if you don't like them.

It's entirely possibly you'll like them - others do. I don't. $160 is a lot of money for 2 panels that are not opaque and that block neither heat nor overhead sunlight. Note that Costco sells sunshades suitable for the windshield for $9 each. I have one and love it. Use it every day. I wanted to like the pano roof shades. Nope, In hindsight, I should have returned them, but never got around to it.

The analogy I now use is the tire repair kit. Great concept in theory and it's cool that Tesla offers it for peace of mind - except once you *use* the included inline can of slime, you can't get replacements (verified last week with a Service fellow who kindly called me after I emailed that question to Ownership). I'm still surprised by that (just figured the cans would have to be available somewhere), but that's what he said.

So now the panels in their attractive carrying case will go with the car along with the microwave/frunk bag to the next owner. I really like the microwave bag - it's well-made, holds a lot, and is easy to carry, but sadly the microwave has gone the way of the dodo. Change is hard :).

• Funny
I find there is a big difference in the light they block when the pano is partly open. (I can't answer for when it's all the way open as that's a position that I never use.) They don't block heat, but I don't see how they were ever intended to so I don't see that as being a negative. The one in the hatch is great for blocking the headlights of that pickup behind you. I've had mine on for a couple of years now and no regrets.

As far as "they don't prevent screen glare" goes, well, duh, screen glare comes from the side windows, they don't go over the side windows, so of course they don't block screen glare.

• Informative
I have the Tesla screens on both my panoramic roof and my rear window. They do reduce the workload for the A/C and reduce glare and wind buffet, especially with the roof open. I am sold on them but I also would call them 'necessary'. Of course I also have tinted windows and roof