Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on doing some tests with AutoPilot on and off, and at different speeds/angles. (My ultrasonics aren't doing great because of a minor collision.)

So far, i'm just going to use a cardboard box with aluminium foil covering the front of it as a "Dummy car".

I've already tried to use a cardboard person, but that didn't work out too well, i'll dig around for those videos.

Any suggestions are welcome! I hope to test tomorrow and the next day, and will post videos and photos on Instagram and YouTube as well as here.

Thanks!

I just recently had an accident and the damage looks like a collision at 30+ mph and it seriously was a tap - as there was no damage to the other vehicle at all. No jolt from the impact as it was not even felt, I thought I stopped the car, until the hood cam up in my face. The air bag did not deploy and I am puzzled. Anxious to see your results. thanks

If I'm not mistaken, AEB uses image detection from the camera so the cardboard box + aluminum should have a photo of a car on it.
Like this:
Euro-NCAP-AEB-Testing.jpg

Which is why, I presume, this test was not successful. Video has since been taken down.
Bjorn Nyland Tests Tesla Model S Automatic Braking Feature - Video

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I plan on doing some tests with AutoPilot on and off, and at different speeds/angles. (My ultrasonics aren't doing great because of a minor collision.)

So far, i'm just going to use a cardboard box with aluminium foil covering the front of it as a "Dummy car".

I've already tried to use a cardboard person, but that didn't work out too well, i'll dig around for those videos.

Any suggestions are welcome! I hope to test tomorrow and the next day, and will post videos and photos on Instagram and YouTube as well as here.

Thanks!
I wonder if something flimsy like cardboard will bounce back the sound waves in the way the car expects? In other words, could there be a material sufficiently flimsy that it was invisible to the ultrasound, but visible to the eye?

I just recently had an accident and the damage looks like a collision at 30+ mph and it seriously was a tap - as there was no damage to the other vehicle at all. No jolt from the impact as it was not even felt, I thought I stopped the car, until the hood cam up in my face. The air bag did not deploy and I am puzzled. Anxious to see your results. thanks

Were you driving a Tesla?

..in any event, you pressed the brakes, your car nose-dived and slipped under the rear bumper of the car ahead of you.. it's bumper pushed up into your grill and hood causing it to rise up.

Also in any event, you're at fault and you probably know that and these ones just suck. Did you get ticketed for following too close or not observing a safe distance in your direction of travel, as well as having your insurance pay for all the damage ahead of you?

Thanks!

Are you a testing agency, er, why are you "testing" this? ESPECIALLY if you currently have sensor damage from a collision! Do you know your radar is correctly aligned and not internally damaged at this moment?

Go for the gusto and replace the cardboard box with a brick wall.. THAT would be cool to see on youtube. Anything less is, meh.

Were you driving a Tesla?

..in any event, you pressed the brakes, your car nose-dived and slipped under the rear bumper of the car ahead of you.. it's bumper pushed up into your grill and hood causing it to rise up.

Also in any event, you're at fault and you probably know that and these ones just suck. Did you get ticketed for following too close or not observing a safe distance in your direction of travel, as well as having your insurance pay for all the damage ahead of you?
The hood pops up automatically during a collision to reduce injury to pedestrian.
Airbags are dangerous, so only go off when collision exceeds a certain strength. If you didn't face-plant the steering wheel then they did the right thing by not going off.

Tesla's ultrasound sensors are only effective to about 16' IIRC. I would expect the radar/camera to be used for object detection for AEB
You are right that the ultrasonics are not used for AEB. For anyone curious, this is from the owner's manual for the Model S:
"The forward looking camera and the radar sensor are designed to determine the distance from any object (vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian) traveling in front of Model S. When a frontal collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to automatically apply the brakes to reduce the severity of the impact."

Also note that the ultrasonics are used during Summon:
"Using data from the ultrasonic sensors, Summon maneuvers Model S forward or reverse into a parking space."

Reactions: Max*
Hmm, interesting. This is from the Australian Model S manual:
"Some Model S vehicles (depending on date of manufacture) feature a pedestrian protection system that reduces head injuries to pedestrians and cyclists in a frontal collision. If the sensors in the front bumper detect an impact with a pedestrian when Model S is moving between 19 and 53 km/h, the rear portion of the hood automatically raises approximately 80 mm."