Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t used unapproved 3rd party apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently had my car in for service and chatting with the manager. Found out you shouldn’t use apps not approved by Tesla. My wife downloaded a paid iPhone app and showed him. He said there have been several cases of unapproved apps preventing the car from sleeping and ruining the computer. Tesla had logs of it and said it wasn’t covered under warranty.

It says so right on the 8th page of the new vehicle warranty under warranty limitations 5th bullet.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...Limited_Warranty_NA_en.pdf?mod=article_inline

BE5269C2-0D47-406A-8A80-0059BD8243F1.png

Recently had my car in for service and chatting with the manager. Found out you shouldn’t use apps not approved by Tesla. My wife downloaded a paid iPhone app and showed him. He said there have been several cases of unapproved apps preventing the car from sleeping and ruining the computer. Tesla had logs of it and said it wasn’t covered under warranty.

And did he supply a list of approved apps? No? :eek:

I bet the only approved app is the one Tesla provides. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
And did he supply a list of approved apps? No? :eek:

I bet the only approved app is the one Tesla provides. :rolleyes:

Thats correct (I know you know that, but still for others, there IS no "tesla approved" 3rd party app. If anyone goes to tesla to talk about anything with their car (Especially battery related), if the words " I saw on teslafi" or "I saw on the stats app" or "I am monitoring my battery health with xxxx and it shows...."

The tesla employee will basically shut down, and tell you (either nicely or not as nice), that those apps are not approved, and any data you are receiving from them is not valid for any type of claim toward tesla.

Reactions: house9
This will be a reference to the limited wear life of the eMMC chip that the computer uses for storage.

You gotta wonder how some 2014 cars with over 100,000 miles have not had the MCU die while some cars just over 2 years old with half the mileage have eMMC's that have packed it in. If some app(s) causes the chip to log 5 times more often than the next that would definitely explain it. @EV-Fixme what do you think Tony?

I am going to log out of a couple iOS 3rd party apps to see if my car will sleep more. I have teslafi set to let it sleep but it never does. Any downfalls to having the car sleep?

Not really, it’s ideal so that it doesn’t use as much energy obviously. The only thing is it will take an extra few seconds to wake up and do whatever you want. I doubt you’ll even notice.

These apps provide an easily digestible way to see all the data your car is already producing and sending to Tesla. To each their own to do what they want, use a 3rd party app or don’t... it’s your property (unless you leased it).

You gotta wonder how some 2014 cars with over 100,000 miles have not had the MCU die while some cars just over 2 years old with half the mileage have eMMC's that have packed it in. If some app(s) causes the chip to log 5 times more often than the next that would definitely explain it. @EV-Fixme what do you think Tony?

I'm not aware of any apps that cause more logging. Most the apps get the info server side (Tesla) afaik. Some do have them die much sooner, hard to say without all the details about the environment of the ones that die early.My chip is from Dec 13, and I have over 155k miles on my car.

I've wondered that to.... while wading through pages and pages of posts about emmc....

I have a 2014 S (pre-AP). The first mcu died 2 years ago, the second is in the processing of dying now. I’ve (briefly) used the remote s app for an Apple Watch but otherwise no apps.

I think it’s just shitty quality control / design flaw, personally.