Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Nov. 2016 model S with EAP. AP 2.0. The site does not give me the option to purchase FSD at any price at this time. I've heard they have had website issues, and some people see different things at different times.

What's the consensus on here with whether I would be entitled to the HW3.0 upgrade if I pay the $2000, (presuming it can be ordered "off the menu" by phone)? And is there any consensus when such an upgrade would occur? I've seen places where it says the hardware is different between AP2.0 and AP2.5, and I have heard Tesla said 2.5 was really like 2.1 because it had more computing power. If the latter, HW3.0 would be a simple switch.

Being in 2.0 kind of sucks. None of the cool new stuff (dash cam, the new Sentry, etc.).

I do not want to light $2000 on fire, but if some of these things happen that they promise, even incrementally, it would make me happy and probably keep me in my MS for a long while.

I'm in the same boat as you with my 12/2016 AP2 Model X with the $5k EAP option.

I wonder if FSD isn’t an option for your car? It would be sad if a 2.25 year old car was already not supported with the latest features but at this rate it seems Tesla May be moving that fast.
For what it is worth, a Tesla representative today by phone checked my configuration and said FSD upgrade IS available for my 2.0 car. He said the option to purchase it would be on my account on March 8th. He did not know whether it would include a hardware upgrade though.

To me, HW3 is the part that's worth something. AP2 was a selling feature for me when I bought the car, if I had known it may have already been obsolete when I bought it I might have saved some money and bought a used AP1 car. It would be fine if it could be upgraded, honestly, even at some reasonable cost.

I still love my car.

EAP still available. It has recently been offered for only $2,000 to current owners if they wish to add it to their cars. Add another 3,000 for FSD if you wish. Supposed to qualify for free next generation computer at no additional charge, when it becomes available.

Guys! By the time FSD is ready in 2022 it'll be HW5 at that point.
Maybe the pickup truck or Model Y will come with it.
Free of cost
:)

What they are defining now as FSD already has features available (Nav on AP). Suspect they will deploy something they can call FSD to allow revenue from the feature to flow to the balance sheet.

For what it is worth, a Tesla representative today by phone checked my configuration and said FSD upgrade IS available for my 2.0 car. He said the option to purchase it would be on my account on March 8th. He did not know whether it would include a hardware upgrade though.

To me, HW3 is the part that's worth something. AP2 was a selling feature for me when I bought the car, if I had known it may have already been obsolete when I bought it I might have saved some money and bought a used AP1 car. It would be fine if it could be upgraded, honestly, even at some reasonable cost.

I still love my car.
I also have 2.0 and one of the more knowledgeable posters here believes I will be able to get HW3 though perhaps not all functions will work since I am missing what 2.5 included.

It is discouraging that Tesla staff often are in the dark. I spent about ten minutes an hour ago talking to a customer service rep at Fremont and he initially said my 2.0 2016 S would require four large for AP, instead of two. He was of course looking at my account which hasn’t been updated. I thought maybe I could make the $2000 AP purchase over the phone since the website hasn’t been updated. (Obviously that didn’t happen though I did at least get him to acknowledge the correct price.)

Wouldn’t you think these employees would be given a cheat sheet with the new pricing like some posters have provided on various Tesla websites or would at least read and thoroughly understand the unambiguous statement by Tesla posted two or three days ago on Tesla.com?

I also have 2.0 and one of the more knowledgeable posters here believes I will be able to get HW3 though perhaps not all functions will work since I am missing what 2.5 included. It is discouraging that Tesla staff often are in the dark. I spent about ten minutes today talking to a customer service rep at Fremont and he initially said my 2.0 2016 S would require four large for AP, instead of two. He was of course looking at my account which hasn’t been updated. I thought maybe I could make the purchase over the phone since the website hasn’t been updated. Wouldn’t you think these guys would be given a cheat sheet with the new pricing like some posters have provided on various Tesla website or at least read and understand the unambiguous statement by Tesla on Tesla.com?
Late 2016 AP2 X owner here with EAP, my Tesla account is showing the FSD option for $3K.

I don't how to be any more clear: I have an HW2 X and it has a broken ECU. Tesla will not put in a HW3 ECU even though I have said I will pay for FSD if they will do it. No matter if I buy FSD or not, they will replace my busted ECU with HW2. There is no "straight swap" retrofit. It is another scam of 3 months/six months, coast-to-coast demo, P100d service loaners, "driver only here for..." video, lighted vanities, etc.

Last edited:
EAP still available. It has recently been offered for only $2,000 to current owners if they wish to add it to their cars. Add another 3,000 for FSD if you wish. Supposed to qualify for free next generation computer at no additional charge, when it becomes available.
I think you may be misinformed but understandably so. I believe if/when I pay $2000 for the software for my HW2.0 2016 S I will get the slimmed down AP. But until they update my account such that I can buy it, who knows, you might be right.

BTW I have EAP on my 3 and at this point wouldn’t really care if I get AP or EAP on my S though some people might and at least should know what they are buying.

I don't how to be any more clear: I have an HW2 X and it has a broken ECU. Tesla will not put in a HW3 ECU even though I have said I will pay for FSD if they will do it. No matter if I buy FSD or not, they will replace my busted ECU with HW2. There is no "straight swap" retrofit. It is another scam of 3 months/six months, coast-to-coast demo, P100d service loaners, "driver only here for..." video, lighted vanities, etc.

I'm not entirely sure how they could swap you, HW3 isn't released yet as far as I know. I suspect once it actually exists, then they will know whether there is an easy swap. But it is understandable why they can't do it now, and can't now promise to do it later for you.

Apologies if I am missing something here.

I also have 2.0 and one of the more knowledgeable posters here believes I will be able to get HW3 though perhaps not all functions will work since I am missing what 2.5 included.

It is discouraging that Tesla staff often are in the dark. I spent about ten minutes an hour ago talking to a customer service rep at Fremont and he initially said my 2.0 2016 S would require four large for AP, instead of two. He was of course looking at my account which hasn’t been updated. I thought maybe I could make the $2000 AP purchase over the phone since the website hasn’t been updated. (Obviously that didn’t happen though I did at least get him to acknowledge the correct price.)

Wouldn’t you think these employees would be given a cheat sheet with the new pricing like some posters have provided on various Tesla websites or would at least read and thoroughly understand the unambiguous statement by Tesla posted two or three days ago on Tesla.com?
Hi neighbor.

Any idea which features it might lack? I especially like the Dashcam, and I am sad it doesn't work for us now.

I'm not entirely sure how they could swap you, HW3 isn't released yet as far as I know. I suspect once it actually exists, then they will know whether there is an easy swap. But it is understandable why they can't do it now, and can't now promise to do it later for you.

Apologies if I am missing something here.
It appears already to be in recent Model 3s according to the wiring diagram:

Tesla autopilot HW3