Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some features, I’m wondering if there’s a limit to what FSD is. They could come along and have a new system called “Full Autonomy” let’s say. Then cap the FSD feature suite and add the newer features and hardware to the new system.
That thought has occurred to me but Tesla's description of FSB doesn't leave a lot of room for further automation. Their description is to the point of lacking manual interaction to hook up at appropriately configured Superchargers.

What were those EAP features? Because there was not a defined list. When I was buying it, I was told that it is under development, and features are to be added later. In fact, it still says that it is BETA. Now, I am told that I need to pay $2000 for those features.

EAP has navigate on autopilot / lane change, summon and parking which are now included in FSD. TACC and lane-keep are the only features in current autopilot. You keep all your current EAP capabilities without needing to purchase FSD .

Attachments

• tweet about enhance autopilot March 2 2019.JPG
    tweet about enhance autopilot March 2 2019.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 66
According to Tesla's website, it IS autonomous. Unless it needs intervention from passenger's seat...

"
Full Self-Driving Capability
All Tesla vehicles have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at a safety level we believe will be at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distancetrips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle."
That was yesterday. If you go to the order page for the FSD upgrade now, you'll find this text:

"The current features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."

That was yesterday. If you go to the order page for the FSD upgrade now, you'll find this text:

"The current features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."
Is there fine print anywhere saying what the limit of FSD is? That last sentence makes it look like there isn’t.

Reactions: SammichLover
"<legal posterior covering> As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."

They are providing a lot better information now, to set current usage expectations. However they've got 10's of thousands of vehicles worth of FSB sold using that old text. That's their vision and they've put themselves on the hook for it.

That's on the ordering page. I'm a current owner of an X. If I paid $2k down today for FSD, I'd be expecting what Tesla's website says today.

Autopilot

I don't disagree with you. I think Tesla's marketing, including this particular web page, is at least borderline deceptive.
One is talking about today, the other is talking about their goal for the system at some indeterminate time into the future. They do use different tenses. Not deceptive, not even borderline. However I would agree that inattentive reading and/or wishful thinking could easily lead the reader astray.

EAP has navigate on autopilot / lane change, summon and parking which are now included in FSD. TACC and lane-keep are the only features in current autopilot. You keep all your current EAP capabilities without needing to purchase FSD .

Right, it was very nice of Elon to define what I paid $5000 for. Post-factum and in a tweet.

I wasn't buying some specific capabilities for $5000. I was buying a promise that they would develop some future features. Now, they said that they will stop developing those features for me, unless I pony up additional $3000. Bait and switch.

So (as an owner that paid for “FSD” in December 2016) I’m starting to feel like I bought Fool Self Driving.......

No because now Tesla have defined what FSD is and they just have to meet those goals even if the software is in beta and marginally useful.

Tesla definition of FSD doesn’t map to industry standard definitions of autonomous driving.

Not valid, sorry.

Tesla have described what capabilities FSD will allow you to access in 2019.

Eventually Tesla are targeting proper FSD and seem to think they will eventually get there, but we are several years away from that, which includes changes to traffic laws to allow you to completely let the car drive itself.

I'm very happy with the incremental improvements toward proper FSD, but please don't get oversold on what will be delivered and usable when.

Reactions: SammichLover
I'm very happy with the incremental improvements toward proper FSD, but please don't get oversold on what will be delivered and usable when.
So much this. It does give me pause for thought of how good, and how soon the stop sign/red light detection will be. Really that's what I expect I'll be buying this for, a hard material feature. That's why I didn't bundle FSD into my purchase last year, taking the risk that I'd end up wanting it and paying more for it ultimately, they didn't have actual concrete features. It was all vague future goals enabled via handwavium.