Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't go to Cali just to get your car-state tax still not waived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My plan is to pick up in (tax-free) OR, drive to CA for the factory tour, then drive home via (what's left of) route 66. Then register in (tax-free) NH and transfer the plate over (see my avatar).

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this is for state and local taxes or if it's only the California state sales tax?

Your question is vague. What is the difference between "state and local taxes" and "California state sales tax?"

The California state sales tax has different components. The statewide tax is composed of two pieces. The larger piece stays in Sacramento for statewide purposes, and the local piece is returned to the jurisdiction where the purchase is made. Then, many municipalities have voted to have an additional percentage for specific purposes for that jurisdiction--either city or countywide, and those funds are returned as well.

In olden days, new car dealers would assess sales tax on the residence of the buyer, and not on the location of the dealership. If I had to assume (always a dangerous proposition) I would think that a buyer from out-of-state would only be subject to the statewide tax and not any local tax that has been voted in by the City of Fremont or Alameda County.

Wow, I thought I had nothing to do.

You would drive from California to Ohio? Geeesshhh
I was seriously thinking about picking up my Model 3 in California and driving back to Michigan -- it would have been an awesome road trip! Unless it would get me more federal rebate, the numbers won't pencil out versus picking the car up in Ohio, which has a reciprocity agreement with Michigan, so I'd only be paying Michigan sales tax, and the Tesla store could take care of the Michigan registration.

My plan is to pick up in (tax-free) OR,

Nope, that won't work. You have to prove that you are a permanent Oregon resident with a permanent street address other than a private postal mail box. Oregon supports its infrastructure with property tax rather than a sales tax. If you are going to purchase sales tax free in Oregon, they want to make sure you are supporting their infrastructure with property tax. Oregon is aware of all the scams.

• Funny
Reactions: SaintD
You got me there. I have no idea what you mean.

Fremont, CA car sales tax is 9.5%. In my case, Virginia car sales tax is 4.15% (changed July 1, 2016). Picking up at factory means I pay CA car sales tax, according to CA laws. Virginia will only credit me 4.15% meaning I'm donating 5.35% of, let's say, $60,000 for a factory pickup.

$3,210 to CA that I'll never get back.

A lot of states are not this way. I can buy a car in MD, put 60 day temp tags on it, drive it home to VA, and only pay VA tax 59 days later.

Last edited:
The insane discrepancy between Fremont's 9.5% sales tax and Newport Beach's 8.0% sales tax is why we took delivery in Newport Beach instead on our 2015 P85D last year. HUGE difference... And we can always drive to Fremont for the Tesla factory tour and stay in a hotel for a LOT less than the 1.5% sales tax "surcharge".

I'm not sure if you're an out of state buyer and you take delivery from a Tesla store in a lower sales tax area that this works... But definitely worth checking out and adding a little to your road trip back to your home IMHO.