Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle pinched my hand while retracting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the data in the world, from experiments conducted on door handles other than the OPs, only proves that the retracting handles used in the "scientific experiment" didn't cause injuries.

Seems like something is wrong with the OPs handles & should be checked by a service center.
It's obvious that the OP's claimed results are much different from the normal experience of anyone here. Others have done extensive testing to show what "normal" is.

I think that it's now incumbent upon those who's experiences differ from the norm to show their experiments if they want to be taken seriously by those who have not had the same experiences.

I'm assuming that what they wanted was after all to be taken seriously here, as if they had simply wanted an issue resolved, they would have talked to a service centre at least a dozen pages back in this thread.

Nah, I don't want to be taken seriously. I think my first post was pretty clear, but it's obvious to most that my intention was to pinpoint members who would receive invitations to a secret society of door handle engineers, it's a very exclusive club and I had to be sure people knew their stuff before tendering enrollment instructions.

Nah, I don't want to be taken seriously. I think my first post was pretty clear, but it's obvious to most that my intention was to pinpoint members who would receive invitations to a secret society of door handle engineers, it's a very exclusive club and I had to be sure people knew their stuff before tendering enrollment instructions.

Some of us are interested if there is something wrong with your car as few people have experienced this and are interested. Mine leaves a small indentation if I let it sit on my fingers for a few seconds but doesn't hurt.

Taken seriously…
Well, I was the first reply to this thread and absolutely stand behind what I said, still. I'm surprised by 15 pages of replies and the lengths people have gone to, as well as the heights (depths?) to which tempers have gone.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the loaner I was driving when it happened to me, though I was surprised there wasn't a sensor preventing retraction. Now that I also have a S, I haven't had it happen again because I pay more attention now to how long the car's been waiting after extending the handles. Never felt a need to do it again and see how much force is applied now vs. on the loaner early on. I read the OP's post exactly as he meant it, I think, original title and all. He, like me, got pinched a bit, was startled by it, and was surprised it would happen. I told the service center about it when I returned the car. He posted here to see what others had experienced. Both were reasonable reactions, and if the humor of the title was taken as something serious and inflammatory, that's unfortunate. Frankly, I doubt there's anything wrong with the OP's car, but if he thinks the force might be too strong, he should absolutely get it checked out, and would love it if he reported back. Too bad the thread has framed it such that it nearly scared him off from posting again.

When it happened to me, I didn't think OMG I'm going to lose my finger, my first thoughts weren't of lawsuits, fingers falling to the ground, nor of Kleenex being folded over and used to test the force. Like others later suggested I, being startled as the handle started to retract, started pulling my hand out, and my fingertips got pinched. It hurt. It didn't damage, nor did I say anything about injury. I said it hurt a little - "somewhat painful" were my exact words. Anyone telling me that can't possibly be true, much less trying to prove it "scientifically" is astounding to me, to the point where I didn't figure arguing it was worth it. Things go so over the top here sometimes, it's amazing.

That said, I actually do appreciate the spring gauge test, and description of the actual construction of the door handle and how it works. That's good info and helpful to understand what's going on. It's too bad that so much condescending and flat out hostility went with it in many of the posts on this thread though. Makes me sad, and I've lost some of the respect for some of the members that had previously earned much respect from me from really great other posts.

My main gripe with this thread/issue stem from the second sentence in the OP:

It's a painful experience that left a mark on my finger for a few days.

The portions I made bold and the italic+bold portion in particular. Combine that incredibly hard to believe statement with the original thread title and I hope others will understand the reactions of myself and many here.

For the record, even pressing the handles into my finger at 6 lbs of force (adding 3 lbs of external force, measured by my new gauge, doubling the force of my handles) isn't painful and leaves an indentation on my finger that lasts a few minutes at most. I've hit a finger with a hammer on several occasions in the past and even then didn't have a mark that lasted "a few days." Come on now...

I made a short video of closing the handle on my finger, and it's taking it's sweet time uploading (and then processing I guess).

Waiting-Bear-OP-will-surely-deliver.jpg

Tossing around an idea I had. For fun. And for science! We are publishing a paper on this after it settled, right?

Assume the handle's spring is 5 lbs of force pulling it back in. A firm grip on the handle is about 10 square inches. So you're getting 0.5 lbs per square inch of resistance, right? Nobody would ever say that's a strain on your hand muscles. (Speaking of, I need to get in the gym. My adductor pollicis muscles are not ready for swimsuit season)

Now assume that as the handle closes on your finger, the handle presses a finger or two into that sharp edge on the body of the door. Now the same 5 lbs of force is pressing on only perhaps 0.2 square inches (the contact patch of your finger and that sharp edge). So you're feeling 25 lbs per square inch of resistance, on a very small and sharp edge.

Rudimentary math, and I'm many years out of school, but seems correct to me. 5 lbs on your hand is nothing. 25 pounds on a tiny spot isn't nothing.

Tossing around an idea I had. For fun. And for science! We are publishing a paper on this after it settled, right?

Assume the handle's spring is 5 lbs of force pulling it back in. A firm grip on the handle is about 10 square inches. So you're getting 0.5 lbs per square inch of resistance, right? Nobody would ever say that's a strain on your hand muscles. (Speaking of, I need to get in the gym. My adductor pollicis muscles are not ready for swimsuit season)

Now assume that as the handle closes on your finger, the handle presses a finger or two into that sharp edge on the body of the door. Now the same 5 lbs of force is pressing on only perhaps 0.2 square inches (the contact patch of your finger and that sharp edge). So you're feeling 25 lbs per square inch of resistance, on a very small and sharp edge.

Rudimentary math, and I'm many years out of school, but seems correct to me. 5 lbs on your hand is nothing. 25 pounds on a tiny spot isn't nothing.

This is like that fuzzy obfuscated math used in riddles. You're mixing pounds with pounds per square inch.

There isn't actually 25 lbs pressing on anything. It's 5 lbs (based on your example, not testing) pressing still, not "25 pounds on a tiny spot." There's 25 psi in your example. We can make it sound even worse and say that there is 17,576 kg/m^2 pressure, since that's the same as 25 psi. Throw that around. "Holy crap, the Model S door handles can retract and exert 17,576 kg/m^2 of pressure on your fingers!" This will make it sound much more terrifying I'm sure. Since that's obviously what you're trying to do with your post above, figured I'd help out.

Edit: Also, it's worth pointing out that the interior edge of the door handle opening is not actually sharp, it's a clean beveled edge similar to the edge of the door at it's opening.

sharp (adj.) having an edge or point that is able to cut or pierce something

There isn't actually 25 lbs pressing on anything. It's 5 lbs (based on your example, not testing) pressing still, not "25 pounds on a tiny spot."

Agree with wk057 (obviously), but as an easy example - if you pick up a 2L coke in a shopping bag it weighs almost 5lbs.

So if you then roll the bag handles up very thinly so that it's 0.2 square inches in size, the pressure of the bag handle becomes 25 psi. However, the bag still weighs 5lbs.

- - - Updated - - -

This thread cannot possibly be still going on....

You must be new on this forum...

Agree with wk057 (obviously), but as an easy example - if you pick up a 2L coke in a shopping bag it weighs almost 5lbs.

So if you then roll the bag handles up very thinly so that it's 0.2 square inches in size, the pressure of the bag handle becomes 25 psi. However, the bag still weighs 5lbs.

I actually quite like the shopping bag reference.

I routinely will carry 10+ plastic shopping bags loaded with groceries with one hand. I just keep looping them on to my right hand until I run out of room, grab a couple more with my left hand, and then carry them to drop them off in the kitchen. I can pretty much guarantee I've held 40+ lbs of groceries this way previously as I routinely stock up on 2L sodas.

I actually quite like the shopping bag reference.

I routinely will carry 10+ plastic shopping bags loaded with groceries with one hand. I just keep looping them on to my right hand until I run out of room, grab a couple more with my left hand, and then carry them to drop them off in the kitchen. I can pretty much guarantee I've held 40+ lbs of groceries this way previously as I routinely stock up on 2L sodas.

Sorry, I'm stuck at the part where you use plastic bags.

I routinely will carry 10+ plastic shopping bags loaded with groceries with one hand.

You still pollute the environment with plastic shopping bags. :eek: Recycled/recyclable canvas bags all the way, Baby! And just to stay on topic; the wider, none scrunching properties of the canvas bag handles allows you to carry more groceries on one wrist because the weight is distributed over a larger surface. (I won't tell you how bad that soda is for you.)

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I'm stuck at the part where you use plastic bags.

Beat me to it. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

On a lighter note, I just ran across this study that says that pain thresholds are highly influenced by the sex of the experimenter.

http://psych.unl.edu/psycrs/350lab/finalprep/finalprepa_story.pdf

If the experimenter is female, subjects have a 26% higher pain threshold than if the experimenter is male.

So just think of the Model S as a women, and it will solve the handle problem...

Didn't need a study for this, walk into any tattoo parlor and ask them which sex cries more often and/or passes out more often.

Didn't need a study for this, walk into any tattoo parlor and ask them which sex cries more often and/or passes out more often.

I think you misunderstood deonb's statement. Don't feel bad, I did too at first. He's referring to the experimenter, not the subject. So the subject's pain threshold actually increases if it's being measured by a woman. In the case of this study, the subjects were male members of the school wrestling team, age 18-23, and the experimenters were one male and one female, age 21. I don't think two experimenters makes a very thorough study, nor does the all-male subject pool, but it's pretty easy to see why they registered a higher pain threshold when being tested by the woman.