Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Slam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh dear, out yesterday and my new LR gets a real hard slam as the adjacent car door is caught be a gust of wind.

We were actually returning to the car when it hapened and spoke to the driver. In fairness the lady was very nice about it and we have her details. She will probably be less nice about it when she gets the quote for the repair bill.

Car door is dented and scrached, panel unclipped on door mirror and may be damaged.

Will be interesting to see the repair quotes and willingness of other side to pay up. So glad sentry caught everything. So glad.

Oh that's painful. Really sorry to see that. You have my sympathy. I always park away from other cars when I can, and i live in the kind of place where that is usually possible, Let us know how you get on with the repair and the 3rd party. You have her bang ( no pun intended) to rights should just be an insurance job cant imagine anyone is going to want to pay cash for that these days if its a body shop job.

Painful.

I do wonder whether or not you would’ve had a cooperative third party if you were nowhere to be seen? It’s the sort of thing I imagine most people just acting like “that’s what you have to expect with public parking”, etc.

Under the circumstances you are probably “lucky” that she didn’t just drive off, relying on you being able to get her plate from the other cameras.

Oh dear, out yesterday and my new LR gets a real hard slam as the adjacent car door is caught be a gust of wind.

We were actually returning to the car when it hapened and spoke to the driver. In fairness the lady was very nice about it and we have her details. She will probably be less nice about it when she gets the quote for the repair bill.

Car door is dented and scrached, panel unclipped on door mirror and may be damaged.

Will be interesting to see the repair quotes and willingness of other side to pay up. So glad sentry caught everything. So glad.

I do cringe whenever I see an unattended open door. I had a woman ask what I was doing when I put my hand between the edge of her door and my car ... "it's OK, let me help you" I said, as she stuffed various items into her vehicle, "It'll save your door getting scratched ... oh, and mine too!" Of course I didn't give a stuff about her door ... which we both knew!

Reactions: Godsense and Jez_GB
Painful.

I do wonder whether or not you would’ve had a cooperative third party if you were nowhere to be seen? It’s the sort of thing I imagine most people just acting like “that’s what you have to expect with public parking”, etc.

Under the circumstances you are probably “lucky” that she didn’t just drive off, relying on you being able to get her plate from the other cameras.

The irony is that I parked in a space with a really big gap next to me to be safe from dings. Of course that big gap is why the door was opened wide enough to catch the wind and slam really hard into the side of my car. Noooo!

I agree, I think if we hadn't returned to the car just as it happened (we could hear the bang as we approached) then she would probably have just left. They were part of a larger party, in a number of cars. Dad came over to chat, but I was very nice, given the circumstances. And only 400 miles on the car 😭

Thank goodness for sentry mode.

Door dent and scratch.

door-scratch.jpg

Body shop quote £800. Say they would need to paint adjacent panels as well as door to get colour match (eh?)
I'd prefer not to have car dismantled and resprayed so will look into dent removal as cheaper option if possible.

Door dent and scratch.

View attachment 661000

Body shop quote £800. Say they would need to paint adjacent panels as well as door to get colour match (eh?)
I'd prefer not to have car dismantled and resprayed so will look into dent removal as cheaper option if possible.
This is because of the metallic paint, they have to spray into the other panels otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb due to different paint batches etc

This is because of the metallic paint, they have to spray into the other panels otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb due to different paint batches etc

That said, I've had some stunningly fantastic matched paint/panel repairs on a couple of different metallic silver/grey cars... so a great result is possible. Anyway if someone else is paying I would be going for the "proper" deal.

Looking at the video, it is the door mirror that got hit hardest, hard enough to knock it forwards (which it isnt supposed to do) and scratch the offending door. The panel on the underside of the mirror that popped apart has since been pressed back together but it went together a bit too easily and I suspect the blow has broken the clips.
A ranger visit is booked to check if its broken, but in the meantime, if anyone could confirm whether the underside of the drivers mirror when folded, should or should not come apart very easily with a finger nail like this, that would be great.

Yes I have checked the passenger side to compare, but I beleive they may be different for antennas and things in the passenger side,

mirror.jpg

Ouch - one of my worst knightmares. I hate to cast aspersions but definitely got the feeling from the video that she was going to check her own door for damage and then bugger off.

People just don't think these days and are so careless.

£800....yeah that is not gonna sit well. Honestly if that had happened to me and then the guy rang me to tell me it was an £800 bill i'd think he was trying to have me over. But then seeing how much things are costing these days maybe thats just how it is. Hopefully you can get a better price that still comes with an excellent repair.

I suppose this is one benefit of Tesla having my car for a month now....no chance of that....at least, I bloody hope not!

Looking at the video, it is the door mirror that got hit hardest, hard enough to knock it forwards (which it isnt supposed to do) and scratch the offending door. The panel on the underside of the mirror that popped apart has since been pressed back together but it went together a bit too easily and I suspect the blow has broken the clips.
A ranger visit is booked to check if its broken, but in the meantime, if anyone could confirm whether the underside of the drivers mirror when folded, should or should not come apart very easily with a finger nail like this, that would be great.

Yes I have checked the passenger side to compare, but I beleive they may be different for antennas and things in the passenger side,

View attachment 661049
No, the wing mirror shouldn’t come apart with the force of a fingernail. As you correctly surmise it’s either broken clips or something else broken. I didn’t even realise that part is in two pieces.

Tesla don’t sell individual parts for the wing mirror separately, except the coloured plastic cover. The whole thing is supplied as one assembly (even if it does come apart). I’d expect that part alone to be £500+

No, the wing mirror shouldn’t come apart with the force of a fingernail. As you correctly surmise it’s either broken clips or something else broken. I didn’t even realise that part is in two pieces.

Tesla don’t sell individual parts for the wing mirror separately, except the coloured plastic cover. The whole thing is supplied as one assembly (even if it does come apart). I’d expect that part alone to be £500+
Had to have RH wing mirror replaced recently due to a meeting of mirrors on a narrow lane. Cost £525 including fitting and painting at Leeds SC.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB and Durzel
Had to have RH wing mirror replaced recently due to a meeting of mirrors on a narrow lane. Cost £525 including fitting and painting at Leeds SC.
Interestingly enough, its the connecting peice between the mirror and the door, but I'm sure it will be expensive to replace. Ranger coming out tomorrow to see how bad and give some costs.

My preference is to go for a localised repair instead of bodyshop for the door.

Does anyone have any experience of such jobs, including touch-up paint, like chips away? Are they any good? I don't epect it to be perfect, just less dent and some touch-up done well.

I'm baffled as to why you wouldn't expect a perfect repair on a new car when someones insurance can pay for it.
Totally agree with this statement, you didn't bash the door you didn't scrape the paint and crack the wing mirror this is what insurance is for is it not ? She has insurance its not like its coming out her pocket is it well bar the excess, and maybe it will teach her to be more careful and supervise her kids better, I never let them out of the car if they are on the passenger side or my side without opening the door for them for this very reason.

I would tend to agree. Accidents happen but I don't know particularly why you are doing her any favours. This won't be a cheap repair if it needs a new wing mirror, which seems likely. It'll certainly be far more than whatever her excess is on her car.

As brutal as it sounds I consider this to be an unfortunate cost she has to bear for not being more vigilant about her kid.

Totally agree with this statement, you didn't bash the door you didn't scrape the paint and crack the wing mirror this is what insurance is for is it not ? She has insurance its not like its coming out her pocket is it well bar the excess, and maybe it will teach her to be more careful and supervise her kids better, I never let them out of the car if they are on the passenger side or my side without opening the door for them for this very reason.
I agree with your sentiments entirely. Mrs door banger should pay for the damage. The downside with the body ship is I lose the car for a week, they dismantle it and spray a lot of the car that doesn't need to be sprayed with risk it may look, to the trained eye like it is concealing a much bigger repair. The dent on the door is pretty small and spraying half the car seems overkill.

However, I haven't decided what to do yet. I;m just getting all the facts. I have spoken to LV, they will pursue the other side and my NCB will remain intact so keeping this as an option.

After chatting to local SC this morning, I'm taking car in so they can assess mirror damage on thursday morning. That will likely be expensive to repair so this will have to go through insurance.

Reactions: Durzel and Jez_GB