Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double tap auto park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does double tap auto Park come with a 2021 model three Long Range with the standard Autopilot or does it have to have FSD? If you if you use it how many times did you have to do it before you felt comfortable white watching it do it. I have visions of it driving through the back of the garage.

Actually the info is right there on the Tesla.com. Also Autopark is old/legacy software by Tesla standards. It often doesn't work and will soon be replaced in the FSD rewrite.

For me I used it once or twice but only as a test/playing and never actually parking.

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 7.03.29 AM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier and hcdavis3
Actually the info is right there on the Tesla.com. Also Autopark is old/legacy software by Tesla standards. It often doesn't work and will soon be replaced in the FSD rewrite.

For me I used it once or twice but only as a test/playing and never actually parking.

View attachment 619683
I did not phrase it correctly. I wanted to know about having it park itself in the garage.

Summon used to be included in Enhanced Autopilot but I think they moved it to FSD in 2019 or so.

We tested out the double-tap parking a couple of times but never used it regularly. With the S & X, there's an option to require a "continuous press" on the keyfob and it turns the double-tap park functionality on/off as well. We enabled continuous press after the puppies (in the house) got ahold of my key fob once while I was in the garage and started to summon my S.

We do still use the manual summon option from time to time on the S, 3 and Y to back the car out of the garage but never really rely on the double-tap method.

We haven't tried the double-tap park on the 3 or Y. Might go try that out today, if possible.

Summon is great at getting your car in/out of a garage. I have it with my EAP and use it pretty much every time I take the car out as my wife parks really close to my car and I can't get in without dinging her car. Autopark, as previously-stated, is more of a novelty. I've used it probably twice, but only when no other cars are behind me as it's slow and a bit clunky when parallel parking.

Does double tap auto Park come with a 2021 model three Long Range with the standard Autopilot or does it have to have FSD? If you if you use it how many times did you have to do it before you felt comfortable white watching it do it. I have visions of it driving through the back of the garage.

It's part of FSD or Enhanced Autopilot. It is basically just the normal summon (not the enhanced one). Instead of using the app, it just go in the direction you asked in the car to go before you got out. It will stop when it detects obstacle. We can't use it in our garage as we have an incline on the driveway. Summon will not start when you are not on a leveled ground. I can summon it out of the garage though which is pretty cool for the first 6 months. Have not used it since LOL. I did summon it once out of a parking space as the car next to me parked too close and I can't get in.

Is Summon included or is it only in FSD?
I posted the pic (see post #2) from the Tesla site and it clearly states what is in standard AP and what is added in FSD.

1: Autopilot [standard] enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically within its lane. END OF FEATURES.

2: Full Self-Driving [FSD option] Capability introduces additional features and improves existing functionality to make your car more capable over time including: SHOWN BELOW in pic are Navigate on Autopilot, Summon, Autopark and Auto Lane Change

I confirmed today that the Y and 3 have the double-tap functionality as well. Just disable Require Continuous Press under the Autopilot Summon settings, double-tap the Park button, choose the direction and then exit the vehicle. It will then move forward or reverse, as selected.

Happy to hear that! Now the second question; how apprehensive were you the first few times you used it? I have visions of my new car going through the back of the garage.
You can set the minimum distance. It uses the Ultrasonics. The only areas you really need to worry about is hitting the sides of the car that don't have sensors or objects that perturb out from the wall a higher or lower level.

I believe Summon only uses the Ultrasonics while Smart Summon adds in some or all cameras too. Both (as well as Autopark and NoA) will be replaced with FSD 4D at some point.

I assume this is a very safe spot to tell it to self park?
So you decided to order FSD then.

That looks standard for Summon. Stand on left side to watch door jam/wall and be sure there are no cars or objects on the right side behind the Infinity as you backup so it won't turn away to avoid. As it passes the door jam the center of the car can't see the edge (it only uses Ultrasonics for now) and you want it to go straight.

BUMP
Picked the car up 12/29. Am I correct to assume that if it gets confused the car will just stop? The fear is strong.

DON'T use double tap (auto) to start. Just use the Press and Hold on the App to manually move. This way if it starts to do anything wrong you simple take your finger off and it stops. After you see it work a few times and feel more confident then use double tap.

Reactions: E-curb