Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dreading warranty repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been putting off warranty repair. However, after the 3rd item appeared, I would like to take in my 2017 Model X.

A) The driver door latch doesn't work unless I open with inside manual latch. The outside door press and LCD door open don't work anymore. I hear something trying to turn but just makes noise. Is this common?

B) The yellow ring around the main LCD screen is getting more noticeable. I hear others had this too. Do you know if this LCD will be replaced with a newer version with faster processor?

C) I lose audio randomly for blinker, nav, and music with this year. I have to do a full reboot to get it back (press all 4 scroll wheels and brake). Anyone else seeing this?

D) Car seems to turn on/off every few minutes while sitting in garage. Sounds like it is circulating something. It started with this year's software updates.

I have read many dreaded warranty repairs on forums, can you share your experience:

1) Will my car sit in the Tesla shop for months? I am in Denver if that helps.
2) Will I get a Tesla loaner?

Thank you for you help.

Welcome to a rather somber club. My Model S has suffered a few of the maladies that your vehicle is now experiencing. In particular, I experienced both 'A' and 'C' - and currently experience 'D'

1 - I have no idea about Denver - but if you lived in the Sacramento region it takes the service center an average of 2 to 3 weeks before they'll have a chance to look at your car. After that, parts and installation/repair have usually added another 2 to 3 weeks to the equation. After the parts are ordered, I strongly recommend you personally keep up on things. Meaning, you'll need to regularly call / visit the service center / holler from the treetops to get an update on things. Same thing goes for booking the actual service appointment after your parts arrive.

2 - Tesla loaner ? No longer exists. As a matter of fact, no loaners or rental vouchers whatsoever. Get ready for a big bushel of Uber credits. I'm not sure how attractive this is during Covid, let alone living a semi-normal life calling for an Uber 3 or 4 times a day.

Reactions: tmxninja
I have been putting off warranty repair. However, after the 3rd item appeared, I would like to take in my 2017 Model X.

A) The driver door latch doesn't work unless I open with inside manual latch. The outside door press and LCD door open don't work anymore. I hear something trying to turn but just makes noise. Is this common?

B) The yellow ring around the main LCD screen is getting more noticeable. I hear others had this too. Do you know if this LCD will be replaced with a newer version with faster processor?

C) I lose audio randomly for blinker, nav, and music with this year. I have to do a full reboot to get it back (press all 4 scroll wheels and brake). Anyone else seeing this?

D) Car seems to turn on/off every few minutes while sitting in garage. Sounds like it is circulating something. It started with this year's software updates.

I have read many dreaded warranty repairs on forums, can you share your experience:

Thank you for you help.

A) This is somewhat common for 2017s. The actuator in the door needs to be replaced. Easy fix for the SC.

B) Again common. They have a UV light fix to remedy.

C) I assume you have MCU1 since you have yellow ring. You may be running into MCU1 eMMc failure.

D) Do you have original 12V? This may be the problem. The SC should be able to diagnose.

Regarding your Service Center concerns. Your car will likely sit for 2-3 days before they can get to it (not months). Not sure if Denver gives loaners or Uber credits. They might. You will need to ask them.

Thank you for you help.

The yellow ring around the screen can be fixed by re-curing the glue with a lightbox that fits over the display. They will likely not replace the display unless you buy the upgrade to MCU 2 which has the faster processor.

My car has a circulating sound when garaged. It happens when the garage get's warm. I assume it is the coolant recirculation pump. It has done this new. And sometimes the fans spin up. I have noticed no ill effects, so don't worry about it. There are other cars run their fans when parked.

I would advise you to use mobile service for fixing the door. They will come to your home or office and home and work on your car only. They can usually fix things quickly and at your location so no need for a loaner car or driving to and from the service center.

Reactions: Stin121
Just make a service appointment in the app. All of my recent services have been handled quickly and easily by mobile service. They will contact you for the services which can be done by mobile. My experience is with Reno SC. Don't know about Denver but it should be similar.

I would advise you to use mobile service for fixing the door. They will come to your home or office and home and work on your car only. They can usually fix things quickly and at your location so no need for a loaner car or driving to and from the service center.

Is this "mobile service" a warranty add-on feature? I am not familiar with it. Thanks.

My experience in the SF Bay area has been good. I have brought my model X in for a variety of problems and at the most, it has taken 2-3 days to fix. If they don't have parts, they will order them and have you come back in a few weeks for the install. You can easily make a service appointment with your app and you can add things to it by the edit button. They will contact you a day or two before to clarify any issues and tell you what to expect, check logs and ask questions,. They don't give loaners any longer, only Uber credits. I have a backup car, a hybrid, so I have never used the credits.

You can easily make a service appointment with your app and you can add things to it by the edit button. They will contact you a day or two before to clarify any issues and tell you what to expect, check logs and ask questions,.

I am about 90 miles from the service center. Are you saying they will order the parts before I go in for the repair? Thanks.

@tmxninja, I’ve had issues A, B and C with my 2017 X. The first 2 are easy under warranty. Item C is something I had in the first year of owning the car, and was mostly fixed by them replacing the cell signal receiver. It continued to be an occasional issue until I went for the MCU2 upgrade for $2500 (Infotainment Upgrade). MCU1 from 2017 is just flaky and I blame it for most of my car’s flakiness.

I've had very good experience with Tesla service. Don’t immediately assume you’ll experience all the horror stories. When I make an appointment in the app and list my issues, the service center will then text me for more details. They usually can decipher what is going on and pre-order the necessary parts. I typically can get an appointment within a week, 2 at the max. And only 1 time have they kept my car longer than 1 day. When possible, they would rather have a service technician (“mobile ranger”) come to you. They can do amazingly complex things in your driveway or parking lot at work. But I think your yellow band will require a service center visit. I have always been offered a Tesla loaner vehicle, but that seems to vary by region.

• Helpful
Is this "mobile service" a warranty add-on feature? I am not familiar with it. Thanks.
Mobile service is for everything. They can do a lot with the mobile service. I had my airbag recall performed by a mobile service technician. When necessary they will have the parts needed for the service. I'm about 50 miles from the Reno SC and have had mobile service several times.

• Helpful
Regular mobile service ? Pure fantasy in the Sacramento region. Regular mobile service was the norm the first few years I had my Model S. It was convenient, innovative, and the mobile technician was almost always able to address the issue on the spot.

The last year or so -- virtually every concern (of which there have been more than I'd care to discuss) has now been re-routed to the service center. The mobile technicians and service center in my region are so overworked and cranky (which I too kinda understand) that I have sometimes thought of making an appointment in Reno, of possible. Driving 2 1/2 hours to an appointment sounds kinda crazy, but that shows how terribly things have regressed in my area.

• Helpful
This is a difficult question to get a clear answer on via a forum such as this, largely because the service experience can vary so widely between geographical areas.

Being in the north Dallas area, I'm fortunate enough to have a service center relatively nearby. If I make a service appointment, the next available appointment is usually the following week some time. Typically, a mobile service person will come to my house and fix the problem without any problem. If the nature of my request means that the car needs to go to the service center, they automatically change my appointment to the service center and, if specific parts are required, they may bump the appointment out a few days or a week to accommodate the parts order.

I've been very happy with the service experience overall, with two S's and one 3 over the past seven years. I totally understand that many are far less fortunate.

I believe it is available as part of your Tesla warranty.

Usually what I do is go to the Tesla app, select Service, and schedule service for my issue. If the mobile service team can handle it, Tesla emails me saying would you like to have mobile service fix this instead of bringing the car in? (and dealing with uber, loaner, getting ....)

I have used mobile service for the charge door not closing all the way (free under warranty entire back corner of the interior had to be removed to get to the mechanism), and a slow leak in a tire caused by screw ($60, patched and rebalanced tire. He also have a replacement tire with him in case the hole was in an area he could not patch ). On both these calls, I was up in my office doing work instead of going back and forth to the SC.

FWIW, I live near the factory and close to one of the large service centers, Dublin. I could bring in the car and run the 5 miles home. But, I still prefer to have the Mobile Service guy come to me since my car gets 100% of the tech's attention.

Regular mobile service ? Pure fantasy in the Sacramento region. .... The mobile technicians and service center in my region are so overworked and cranky (which I too kinda understand) that I have sometimes thought of making an appointment in Reno, of possible. Driving 2 1/2 hours to an appointment sounds kinda crazy, but that shows how terribly things have regressed in my area.

Yikes Cleo-n-Company :(:eek: That doesn't bode well for these expensive Tesla toys. I get great service and a current model year loaner every time I need a premium vehicle (non-EV) warrantied or serviced.