Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat: metal bar in the middle is pushing after just 1 month

Do you have same issue?

• Yes

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 70 73.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, that explains it and actually helps to understand that this is more of a problem for tall drivers and not only weight related

So we are on track on profiling a driver for whom that would be a problem.

It might also be the seating position people prefer. I like my seat upright. So there is weight on my feet. Others may recline more with less weight on their feet and more on their thighs.

So here is the update

Got the seat replaced. And it’s a little better but I believe only because the seat is brand new and because of that firmer, but pretty much same feeling, and I’m sure it’ll be same problem once the seat break in, in a month.

New thing that I noticed it is that it’s also related to hot weather. So the hotter the weather the faster metal bar is starting to hurt.

In the hot weather (above 90F) with thermostat set to 66-68F, I feel cool, but places where my body touches the seat fake leather (my butt and my lower back) after 15 minutes of driving, my skin is so hot (in those places) that it feels like the leather is actually burning, and after 20-30 minutes my butt and lower back are soaking wet. That is just plain: ridicules. I had 5 cars before Tesla, all with regular leather and never, ever had any problems like that.

• Love
Reactions: Taoweiji and P85_DA
Just to give you guys an update.

Little recap. When I'm sitting in a front seat, I can feel a metal bar in the middle (it starts with just feeling a bump in the middle), and after 8-15 minutes of driving the metal bar starting to hurt my butt pretty hard, and it's physically impossible to the driver (for me) more than an hour. What is happening is that the soft space (foam) on the back (behind the metal bar) collapses/compresses too much after 15 minutes, so it loses support and I starting to feel the bar a lot. They've replaced the seat, and I'm having the same issue with a new one as well

So I'm still annoying a service adviser and trying to come up to a solution for my problem.

At this point, I asked if they can hire a local upholstery professional to try to fix the issue I'm having with the seat and submit their log of work and explanation of this is happening to Tesla. They refused, stating that this cannot happen because there are sensors in the seat that they don't want to anybody mess with.

Now Tesla offered me to take a brand car as a loaner for a couple of days (when they'll have in next couple of weeks) to see I'll have the same issue on a completely different car. (will let you know how it went when I'll take it)

Does anybody have any other ideas what can Tesla do to help me with my driver seat? I knew I'm taking a chance with Tesla when I was thinking if I should take it or not, but did not see this happening in the million years. Now it literally became a pain in my ass

Reactions: Taoweiji and JQS3
Just to give you guys an update.

Little recap. When I'm sitting in a front seat, I can feel a metal bar in the middle (it starts with just feeling a bump in the middle), and after 8-15 minutes of driving the metal bar starting to hurt my butt pretty hard, and it's physically impossible to the driver (for me) more than an hour. What is happening is that the soft space (foam) on the back (behind the metal bar) collapses/compresses too much after 15 minutes, so it loses support and I starting to feel the bar a lot. They've replaced the seat, and I'm having the same issue with a new one as well

So I'm still annoying a service adviser and trying to come up to a solution for my problem.

At this point, I asked if they can hire a local upholstery professional to try to fix the issue I'm having with the seat and submit their log of work and explanation of this is happening to Tesla. They refused, stating that this cannot happen because there are sensors in the seat that they don't want to anybody mess with.

Now Tesla offered me to take a brand car as a loaner for a couple of days (when they'll have in next couple of weeks) to see I'll have the same issue on a completely different car. (will let you know how it went when I'll take it)

Does anybody have any other ideas what can Tesla do to help me with my driver seat? I knew I'm taking a chance with Tesla when I was thinking if I should take it or not, but did not see this happening in the million years. Now it literally became a pain in my ass

If the new car does not display the same issue after an extended use then you know that it is an issue with your car. Either you should have them fix that or initiate a buy-back.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
If they swapped seats for you, I am not sure what else can be done. I assume you have tried adjusting the seat. If nothing works, it may be that your specific body type does not work with their seats.

I have never had an issue. Expecting Tesla to reupholster the seat is asking a lot.

My November 2016 build X with ventilated seats are extremely comfortable. But, every loaner I have received with the non ventilated seats were not comfortable and couldn't find an adjustment in the days I would have the loaners. The side bolsters for me seemed to be the biggest issue. I felt like they would consistently place pressure on my kidneys. They definitely made major changes to the seats when they discontinued the ventilated seats. I haven't been impressed.

I have a model S with the same problem. Here's a mod which may help to reduce the pain caused by the metal bar/platform

I'm using this mod since about one month now and my problems are gone. Technically, I have increased the spring rates of the "springs" on the rear part of the seatbottom. To do so move the seat in the highest position and max. front position to have best access. Release the two clamps which keeps the lower end of the backcover attached to the seat. Then you may insert the pieces as per attached sketch. The tape enables easy movement as the wood tend to stick to the foam. Hope this is clear enough to follow. otherwise please let me know.

Good luck!

Movie:
18-8-7 Model S front seat mod

So @hoschilo trick did help with "not feeling the metal bar" but now I can feel the sticks.
I spent 2 hours yesterday trying different sizes and material of sticks and unfortunately, I can feel them all :(

Today I decided enough is enough and brought the car to an Auto Upholstering professional.
After reviewing the seat he was amazed how little of spring on the bottom they put (see images below), the number of springs is not enough to support my weight, that is why my bottom falls down and I start to feel the support metal bar.
Amazon Photos (1).png

He said it's a pretty simple thing to fix by adding more springs and a bit more foam that would cost me around $150-200.

But last time, I spoke with Tesla about my seat issue, they said that there is nothing more they can do, and they WILL NOT take the car back, nor they WILL NOT approve any custom upholstering work on a seat.

What are your thoughts on that? What can I do?

Reactions: Taoweiji
I think when you pay 100K+ for a car, the least the company can do is to ensure that they have seats that can keep the driver comfortable! You might have a case to make by providing these pictures to Tesla. If they still won't help then perhaps legal route might be an option and your attorney would have a strong case to make I think. Good luck.

Reactions: bell2041
So @hoschilo trick did help with "not feeling the metal bar" but now I can feel the sticks.
I spent 2 hours yesterday trying different sizes and material of sticks and unfortunately, I can feel them all :(

Today I decided enough is enough and brought the car to an Auto Upholstering professional.
After reviewing the seat he was amazed how little of spring on the bottom they put (see images below), the number of springs is not enough to support my weight, that is why my bottom falls down and I start to feel the support metal bar.
View attachment 340058
He said it's a pretty simple thing to fix by adding more springs and a bit more foam that would cost me around $150-200.

But last time, I spoke with Tesla about my seat issue, they said that there is nothing more they can do, and they WILL NOT take the car back, nor they WILL NOT approve any custom upholstering work on a seat.

Hopefully adding springs and foam should improve the seat comfort. Keep us posted.

I can't answer the poll with a Yes/No.

When I got my car, I could feel the metal bar and it was uncomfortable. I tried a few seat adjustments and it would be less of an issue for a while, but it would come back.

Now I've had the car for 20k miles and 18 months and I've been on 3 500+500 mile round trip road trips and I don't feel it any more. I can still sense where that bar is, but I don't experience discomfort any longer.

I'm 5-9 and weigh over 250 (working on that...).

• Funny
Reactions: Taoweiji

View attachment 340058

Thanks for the update with the upholstering professional. It is fully in accordance with my theory. For 200$ I would not hesitate a second and go for it. If it solves your problem you will never regret this expense if not you might have a problem in further claims to Tesla. I belive it will be impossible to achive something else in reasonable time on a leagal way if there is even a chance for success. Needless to say that the Tesla seats (latest generation) definitely needs improvement. Would be interesting to know based upon which feedback they are improving their design in general.