Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side Falcon wing door hinge snapping when opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you watch my video in this thread? Is your click the same slider? It sounds like it is. If so, they'll put friction tape or silicone spray on it and it'll go away (for now). Mine both stopped making this sound when they used friction tape and it hasn't come back.

Yes but my click is intermittent, sometimes it clicks and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it only clicks while opening and sometimes its clicks while opening and closing. I hope it clicks while the car is at the SC so they fix it but I will provide them with this video.

Yes but my click is intermittent, sometimes it clicks and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it only clicks while opening and sometimes its clicks while opening and closing. I hope it clicks while the car is at the SC so they fix it but I will provide them with this video.
Just watch the sliders as you open and close the door. You'll know immediately if they're the cause.

Reactions: K-MTG
I just got delivery of my Model X 60D today a few hours ago.
Love the car but found a problem with the driver side falcon wing door hinge snapping when the door opens next to something in close proximity (like a car or trash can).

It has caused some area of damage on the side of the door at the spot it rubs when opening.
Obviously I am sad about this and contacted tesla service but will find out tomorrow if this is an easy fix.

Here's a video of it happening.
Has anyone had this issue?

I had the same problem and took it in to the dealer. They fixed it while I waited. My click was not as loud. They said it had to do with a "hinge". I met someone at the dealer who's problem was not as easy to fix. She'd been back several times. Good luck.

The reason I keep bringing up the sliders in the hinge (see my video) is because I've heard this noise from at least three other Model Xs and it's the same cause. One of the Xs was @jackbowers when he was showing it at his investment talk with the Bowlus Road Chief. He opened the door, I looked at the hinge, watched the slider grab-and-slip, and heard the noise. He never mentioned it, so it probably doesn't bother him. I imagine that's the case with a lot of owners.