Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side Falcon wing door hinge snapping when opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out this FWD snapping noise. I had heard this snapping noise once during a tight parking within two weeks/500 miles of MX purchase. And since then FWD had been malfunctioning until recently when SC installed a new FWD sensor. However, this snapping noise has now gotten louder while FWD not opening all the way. I don’t see any broken part. Can anyone guess the cause of this noise?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Yep, that's the same thing that happened to me, except passenger side FWD. Door got stuck on the first opening during inspection in the delivery bay, which had a high ceiling, but somewhat narrow clearance. They "adjusted" it while I waited. Then it snapped when I opened it again just outside the delivery bay, where there were no obstacles. They took it back and "adjusted" it again. Finally, when I opened it in my garage at home with limited height and side clearance, it caught the trim and bent it. Also, the trim ripped a tear in the FWD gasket on the side.
It sure did rip the gasket / seal on the door as seen on my pic. They'd better see that and replace it as well.

My door gasket/seal also ripped off where it rubs against the silver metallic trim. Luckily my silver trim hasn't bent (yet) like those other photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 394
Same problem but not so severe ..snaps on open and close ..
Mine has gotten less loud as i have used it ..i think it has worn down the plastic piece that was catching ..you can see the plastic that is being chewed up by pushing back the cover at the hinge..only problem i ve had at 1700 miles
.my sc is 200 miles away so i ll get there when convenient ..

This is happening on our X as well. Husband can probably explain it better. Hopefully it can be fixed before trim/seals are ripped off like some of you have had happen. Yikes! @Evil.Labrat
Yes I happened to be staring directly at it when it happened. The plastic trim gets caught up on the body as the door opens and thr snapping sound is that plastic snapping back into place as it clears the body. Now that the plastic has deformed (broken) it doesn't make as much noise, so there is that I guess.

Attachments

• 20160930_183223.jpg
    20160930_183223.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 357
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
My driver's side FWD makes a snapping sound when it is parked closed to another vehicle or if it senses an obstacle in its way of opening. It is strange that snapping sound is very low, if there is any, when opening in an open parking lot without any vehicle around it. I doubt if there are different patterns/mechanisms of FWD openings during above scenarios.

I recently got some work done at the SC. At least this was one thing that went right. It was the cover piece covering the hinge, which would bend and snap back due to the stress of the hinge open/close.

From what I can tell, they replaced the two pieces and I think left some of it out versus putting it into the panel. Either way, I enjoy it much more now without the snap. With V8.0 and the doors being faster it makes for a much better experience without the doors sounding like it's snapping off.

The noise is the sliding pinch guard on the hinge. Annoying a bit but harmless.
I have the same noise from the same cause. I uploaded this video showing what's happening - all of the pinch guards (front and back of both left and right door) hang and snap at different times, causing a popcorn effect when the doors open and close. It definitely appears to be minor. I thought it was related to my doors not holding their height but was glad to see it's pretty minor.

Videos (fast and slow) attached. The slow motion isn't synced with audio but you get the idea.

I have the same noise from the same cause. I uploaded this video showing what's happening - all of the pinch guards (front and back of both left and right door) hang and snap at different times, causing a popcorn effect when the doors open and close. It definitely appears to be minor. I thought it was related to my doors not holding their height but was glad to see it's pretty minor.

Videos (fast and slow) attached. The slow motion isn't synced with audio but you get the idea.

I had a ranger out who took off the moulding. Its the pinch guard sliding and looks like it can be fixed with a slight tweak of the plastic. Not a huge issue. It occurs on only one of my doors, not the other.

Forget about snapping/cracking sound of FWD. Check out the attached pictures of the totally wild incident re my FWD. When 2nd row passenger opened the FWD by pressing the button manually, it extended more than its usual 90 degree and hit the garage door above. I have about 12” clearance from the garage door to the fully extended FWD. Since 3-month ownership of MX, FWD is a super-big pain. It usually never extends all the way, but now extending more than its normal range is unfathomable. Has anyone experienced this type of a malfunctioning FWD?
FWD1.jpg
FWD2.JPG
FWD3-CenterScreen.jpg