TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Driver side Falcon wing door hinge snapping when opening

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by plasmo, Sep 21, 2016.

1. tomtx37

tomtx37 Member

Check out this FWD snapping noise. I had heard this snapping noise once during a tight parking within two weeks/500 miles of MX purchase. And since then FWD had been malfunctioning until recently when SC installed a new FWD sensor. However, this snapping noise has now gotten louder while FWD not opening all the way. I don’t see any broken part. Can anyone guess the cause of this noise?

• Informative x 1
  2. plasmo

plasmo Member

sigh. If it were not for this issue, our Delivery would have been picture perfect. :(

3. BobCio

BobCio Member

Just opened my passenger side FWD inside my garage (limited space) and it too had a click that I had not heard before. I am starting to think that it is related to the close in opening of the doors (as mentioned by @tomtx37 noted. Definitely will have them look at that one too!

4. outie

outie Active Member

It sure did rip the gasket / seal on the door as seen on my pic. They'd better see that and replace it as well.

5. plasmo

plasmo Member

My door gasket/seal also ripped off where it rubs against the silver metallic trim. Luckily my silver trim hasn't bent (yet) like those other photos.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
  6. ditzpro

ditzpro Member

Same problem but not so severe ..snaps on open and close ..
    Mine has gotten less loud as i have used it ..i think it has worn down the plastic piece that was catching ..you can see the plastic that is being chewed up by pushing back the cover at the hinge..only problem i ve had at 1700 miles
    .my sc is 200 miles away so i ll get there when convenient ..

7. MomdelX

MomdelX Member

This is happening on our X as well. Husband can probably explain it better. Hopefully it can be fixed before trim/seals are ripped off like some of you have had happen. Yikes! @Evil.Labrat

8. Evil.Labrat

Evil.Labrat Member

Yes I happened to be staring directly at it when it happened. The plastic trim gets caught up on the body as the door opens and thr snapping sound is that plastic snapping back into place as it clears the body. Now that the plastic has deformed (broken) it doesn't make as much noise, so there is that I guess.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  9. LuckyX

LuckyX Stormtrooper X60D, Autopilot, and Hitch

My driver side fwd was making the snapping sound in my garage (restricted space) but now the sound as gone away and there's no signs of wear on the interior trim/seals

10. tomtx37

tomtx37 Member

My driver's side FWD makes a snapping sound when it is parked closed to another vehicle or if it senses an obstacle in its way of opening. It is strange that snapping sound is very low, if there is any, when opening in an open parking lot without any vehicle around it. I doubt if there are different patterns/mechanisms of FWD openings during above scenarios.

11. Jamaicaman

Jamaicaman Member

Yikes.. very disappointing I'm sure... (understatement) glad Tesla seems to be trying to fix the issues for you(s). It would seem that should now be on the list if quality control items to look at!

12. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I recently got some work done at the SC. At least this was one thing that went right. It was the cover piece covering the hinge, which would bend and snap back due to the stress of the hinge open/close.

From what I can tell, they replaced the two pieces and I think left some of it out versus putting it into the panel. Either way, I enjoy it much more now without the snap. With V8.0 and the doors being faster it makes for a much better experience without the doors sounding like it's snapping off.

13. ethank

ethank Member

The noise is the sliding pinch guard on the hinge. Annoying a bit but harmless.

14. plasmo

plasmo Member

I am still waiting for my service center to receive the parts for my repair. It has been 1 month now, waiting.
    Is this typical that it takes this long?

15. tomtx37

tomtx37 Member

I am waiting on my FWD two glass doors replacement for over 40 days.

16. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I have the same noise from the same cause. I uploaded this video showing what's happening - all of the pinch guards (front and back of both left and right door) hang and snap at different times, causing a popcorn effect when the doors open and close. It definitely appears to be minor. I thought it was related to my doors not holding their height but was glad to see it's pretty minor.

Videos (fast and slow) attached. The slow motion isn't synced with audio but you get the idea.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  17. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

Mine makes the same noise. Glad to know it's harmless.

18. ethank

ethank Member

I had a ranger out who took off the moulding. Its the pinch guard sliding and looks like it can be fixed with a slight tweak of the plastic. Not a huge issue. It occurs on only one of my doors, not the other.

19. tomtx37

tomtx37 Member

Forget about snapping/cracking sound of FWD. Check out the attached pictures of the totally wild incident re my FWD. When 2nd row passenger opened the FWD by pressing the button manually, it extended more than its usual 90 degree and hit the garage door above. I have about 12” clearance from the garage door to the fully extended FWD. Since 3-month ownership of MX, FWD is a super-big pain. It usually never extends all the way, but now extending more than its normal range is unfathomable. Has anyone experienced this type of a malfunctioning FWD? FWD1.jpg FWD2.JPG FWD3-CenterScreen.jpg

• Informative x 2
  20. outie

outie Active Member

Whoa that's really messed up. I haven't seen something like this on my car yet.