TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Drivers hogging the supercharger space without charging

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mingazoid, Jan 7, 2020.

1. mingazoid

mingazoid New Member

Hey guys. I saw this car in the Elements mall in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Is there any proper protocol for reporting these drivers so Tesla will charge them idling fee 0CD1FC15-B868-4C09-9080-A989A4996A13.jpeg s or something? They are hogging the space without charging, presumably so they Can “cut the queue” when they come back from shopping!

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

There's no official protocol but you can certainly take a cellphone picture and report the VIN to Tesla.

If there are enough reports maybe Tesla will act on the problem.

They'll have to weigh the cost. It is costly to hire an attendant to ticket violators. It's costly to implement an automatic system such as a sensor on the floor and cameras for proof. It's costly to get a software system to process violators and bill them...

However, it's cheapest if there's a law to tow a vehicle that is idling without charging.

There's already that law in California but to exercise that law, Tesla needs to pay money to post a sign that a tow is practiced at its station. Then, any bystander can just phone the police to get a free tow for Tesla and the witness but hefty fine for the violators.

In some cases even without that notice sign in California, bystanders still called the police to successfully get the violator car towed.

3. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

The driver might have forgotten to plug in. You could help them out by plugging in for them. If they intentionally parked without plugging in then Tesla would be able to charge idle fees after they reach the set charge limit.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  4. A-Wimoweh

A-Wimoweh Member

Yeah, they probably are in the early stages of Alzheimer's. Do them a favor and plug them in.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Definitely plug them in. It’s the right thing to do.

• Like x 1
  6. IslandHydro

IslandHydro Member

Will that work? I didn't think the charge door would open if you don't have the car fob.

• Like x 1
  7. someguy in KC

someguy in KC Member

my charge door will not open when my key is not nearby the vehicle.

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I thought tesla changed this at some point where if the car is locked and keyfob isnt near that the locking mechanism won't release thus preventing other people from plugging you in like this.

9. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

Pre refresh S so it should open without fob near by. I know mine does as did our 2018 loaner we had for a month.

10. EV-Fixme

EV-Fixme Vendor

Maybe they were in a hurry or emergency. Helping people plug in is nice. If I ever had an emergency and had to run and forgot to charge my car, I would be happy that someone helped me plug in my car and I came back to a charging car.

11. GreenT

GreenT verT

Do tell us how??? How does one report ANYTHING to Tesla?
    Did you read the OP??? It's in Hong Kong, not California.

12. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

Tesla contact info for supercharging issues is located on the pedastal

13. Chaserr

Chaserr Hyperactive Hyperdrive

Plug them in. Superchargers will open a locked car (I've tested this myself on my own car just a few weeks ago) but if it's "asleep" with power savings you might have to wait a minute and try again.

14. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

I have pulled into destination charging, no power to any of the units and false charge because Im not moving my car and there is no power anyway.

15. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Most websites still have a "contact" way for users to input comments.

For China, there's a link to input your comments:

联系我们 | 特斯拉中国 - Tesla

For Hong Kong, the link is:

Contact | Tesla 香港

16. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Model S charge port will open, even when the car is locked, with a button press on the supercharger, HPWC, or UMC handle. To my knowledge this is true for EVERY Model S. Doesn’t seem to be the case for X or 3.

17. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Definitely. And there’s the added bonus that if you’re indeed plugging in a selfish asshat, they’ll start accruing idle charges.

• Like x 2
  18. demundus

demundus Active Member

Have any of your considered that the supercharger was broken and the person didn’t want to go find another parking spot?

19. EV-Fixme

EV-Fixme Vendor

if it's broken they wont get charged, since car will never fill.... it also will fill the use on app so people wont drive there thinking a charger is available to find a car sitting there.

20. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

Broken or not, you should only park there if you are charging.

• Like x 2