Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers hogging the supercharger space without charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I saw this car in the Elements mall in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Is there any proper protocol for reporting these drivers so Tesla will charge them idling fee
0CD1FC15-B868-4C09-9080-A989A4996A13.jpeg
s or something? They are hogging the space without charging, presumably so they Can “cut the queue” when they come back from shopping!

...reporting...

There's no official protocol but you can certainly take a cellphone picture and report the VIN to Tesla.

If there are enough reports maybe Tesla will act on the problem.

They'll have to weigh the cost. It is costly to hire an attendant to ticket violators. It's costly to implement an automatic system such as a sensor on the floor and cameras for proof. It's costly to get a software system to process violators and bill them...

However, it's cheapest if there's a law to tow a vehicle that is idling without charging.

There's already that law in California but to exercise that law, Tesla needs to pay money to post a sign that a tow is practiced at its station. Then, any bystander can just phone the police to get a free tow for Tesla and the witness but hefty fine for the violators.

In some cases even without that notice sign in California, bystanders still called the police to successfully get the violator car towed.

Maybe they were in a hurry or emergency. Helping people plug in is nice. If I ever had an emergency and had to run and forgot to charge my car, I would be happy that someone helped me plug in my car and I came back to a charging car.

Hey guys. I saw this car in the Elements mall in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Is there any proper protocol for reporting these drivers so Tesla will charge them idling feeView attachment 497823 s or something? They are hogging the space without charging, presumably so they Can “cut the queue” when they come back from shopping!
Plug them in. Superchargers will open a locked car (I've tested this myself on my own car just a few weeks ago) but if it's "asleep" with power savings you might have to wait a minute and try again.

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Maybe they were in a hurry or emergency. Helping people plug in is nice. If I ever had an emergency and had to run and forgot to charge my car, I would be happy that someone helped me plug in my car and I came back to a charging car.

Definitely. And there’s the added bonus that if you’re indeed plugging in a selfish asshat, they’ll start accruing idle charges.