Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers seat a tad loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was speaking to a Tesla Ranger this past weekend at the Oakville SC and he mentioned that a new engineering bulletin has just been released on a permanent fix. He suggested giving the service depts some time to read and understand the fix, as well as get the parts in, then call in to arrange for repair. He mentioned two front bushings that need a swap, which requires the seat to be removed but not replaced, thus saves months of wait time. I don't have anymore details but have put a reminder in my calendar for four weeks.

I also notice a small amount of movement when I'm going over any bumps in the road. It's a fairly small amount of movement, more annoying than anything especially when on a bumpy road. I asked the service center about it when my car was in for some other stuff and they said it's within normal tolerances. Seems strange that any amount of seat movement is considered normal. The cars I've owned in the past never had any seat movement going over bumps.

Reactions: David99
I was speaking to a Tesla Ranger this past weekend at the Oakville SC and he mentioned that a new engineering bulletin has just been released on a permanent fix. He suggested giving the service depts some time to read and understand the fix, as well as get the parts in, then call in to arrange for repair. He mentioned two front bushings that need a swap, which requires the seat to be removed but not replaced, thus saves months of wait time. I don't have anymore details but have put a reminder in my calendar for four weeks.

So to close the loop on this: Tesla says that bulletin I was told about applies to the in-house manufactured seats and not the Reccaro series that my car has. They said they are aware of this issues but have no known fix at this time. I got the impression that since they now make their own seats, they are not likely to go back to Reccaro for a fix, as neither party has much to gain from the extra work. The latter is just my gut sense after speak to the Service Manager and hearing the comments about the small population affected by this complaint.

The drivers seat in my 2016 S also feels like it has some play in it. Asked a mobile ranger to check it out when he was here doing other random things. He couldn't actually work on it since it wasn't on his list but he said he definitely thinks it's looser than it should be. Took it to a service center and a tech came, tried to move it by hand for a sec and just said it's normal.

Doesn't bother me that much but I may try again at a different SC.

I've had another Mobile Tech visit last week. He did see it move, tried to take a video but it's really hard to capture it on a phone. He said he would open a case and if warranty is approved, I'd be notified. As expected, nothing so far. I'll wait a couple more weeks and open another service request. As I said, it doesn't bother me that much, but also as it was noted here, it's not normal.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
I have a 2020 Model S Performance and it was delivered with my seat moving. I had it replaced(seat came in a week). It was fine for about week and then back to rocking. It hasn’t gotten worse and it’s pretty slight and mostly felt on regen. Will probably wait for a while to see if it worsens since it’s only been a month

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I have a 2020 Model S Performance and it was delivered with my seat moving. I had it replaced(seat came in a week). It was fine for about week and then back to rocking. It hasn’t gotten worse and it’s pretty slight and mostly felt on regen. Will probably wait for a while to see if it worsens since it’s only been a month
My experience with my 2013 Model S is similar to yours. It happens on hard regeneration. I don't feel it while accelerating. But sometimes I do feel it turning harder than normal.

Any updates on this? I have a new Raven Performance MS and I feel a clunk on hard acceleration in the lumbar part of the seat. I am thinking maybe the seat is loose, but not sure of the cause.

My 08/2019 Long Range Raven also has a bit of play in the driver's seat. I took it in to the SC and was told it was "within spec". They stated they will document it just in case it gets worse in the future. Oddly enough, a few months later, it feels like the play in the seat has diminished...

or maybe i just got used to it?