TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

drivers seat

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by kort677, Sep 24, 2015.

1. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I find the drivers seat to be most uncomfortable, has anyone found any after market recaro like seats that would fit into the Tesla Model S?

2. green1

green1 Active Member

Which seat do you have? The next gen seats are made by Recaro so if you have the regular ones or the older ones you could ask tesla about the upgrade

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I have the original seats, are the next gen seats available? are they really an upgrade? I'd prefer getting a seat straight from recaro if there is one that can easily be fitted into the car.

4. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

They are "Ricardo style", made by another vendor.

I also have the original seats, but the discomfort is not worth the cost of the upgrade (€6500).

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Do you mean "Recaro"?

6. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

No, they are made of Fine Corinthian Leather.

7. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Lol, yes - autocorrect issue

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Presumably. Further, they were actually a joint effort with Recaro, not just a knock-off created by some other vendor.

In any case, yes, you can have the Next-Gen seats retrofitted. Supposedly that effort has begun, according to posts I've seen elsewhere. The cost is ~$5k-$6k, if I recall, which includes both front seats, new mounting rails due to the altered seating position, airbags, etc.

9. Majerus

Majerus Member

According to a factory tour they are still made by futuris

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Could be, but they were still designed by Recaro. It seems I may have misunderstood what was meant by "Recaro-style".

11. Majerus

Majerus Member

Were they? I asked this question because I thought the same thing. I was told they are "recaro-style"

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

They were, and at one point Tesla touted that fact on their website and window stickers. It was taken down relatively quickly after the airbag issues with the seats stymied early P85D deliveries, resulting in many of the vehicles needing to be reverted to the old seats.

It may be after that they took production away from Recaro, and Recaro responding by asserting that Tesla can't call them Recaros if they're made by someone else.

But that's all speculation.

13. kort677

kort677 Active Member

thanks to everyone for their responses.
    is anybody aware of any AFTER market seats that could be retro fitted into the ca?
    I would only do the drivers side and haven't a reason to shoulder the expense of doing the Tesla mega buck change.

14. scottm

scottm Active Member

I saw some pix floating around here, or somewhere on the interweb... some guy fitting air-cooled seats from a BMW (7 series I think) into Model S.

The headrests looked so out of place, having those two chrome bars running up holding the sides of the headrest. Looked so 1975 but to each his own.

Really, it's not going to be that hard to take any seat you like from a similarly sized car... but you're going to have to get adapter plates made at a fab shop.
    Getting all the electrical right... is up to you. If you stick to a manually controlled seat replacement, then who cares. Right?

What model of Easy Boy do you think works best?:tongue:

15. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I am more concerned with comfort over aesthetics
    if you mean car seats, the most comfy seats I've ever had in a car was in my volvo

16. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I was told that next gen cannot simply be bolted in. For those d cars that had temporary seats, that was a different deal. The software was already programmed for next gen. Bear in mind there is a sensor there to detect when you are sitting in the seat, otherwise the car won't turn on.

17. msp85+

msp85+ Member

Does any know of a good product to clean the seats?

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've never needed more than a damp cloth, but it depends on which seats you're referring to.