Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Melbourne to Brisbane in 45 Celcius heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people have gone out and got a puncture patch kit and compressor instead in the hope of avoiding using the goo and ruining the tyre completely.
I'm one of them.
Got a screw through the tyre, went flat in 10 minutes. Used a compressor a few times to limp back home then took another car to go buy a puncture kit.
Got another 40,000ks on that set of tyres :)

I'm one of them.
Got a screw through the tyre, went flat in 10 minutes. Used a compressor a few times to limp back home then took another car to go buy a puncture kit.
Got another 40,000ks on that set of tyres
:)
That's probably not the best way to emulate the Lotus - I think it used a propeller.

In all seriousness, my commiserations to just about all Australians right now. I was looking at the nationwide temperature map on the Melbourne Age last night - gracious. Hope Tasmania doesn't sink with all the refugees....

• Funny
Reactions: Hairyman and ICUDoc
I just did a road trip from Brisbane to Bundaberg and back, driving mostly in the middle of the day. It was around 35 outside. Before I had the roof shades and tinting done (especially the tinting) the a/c had to be on at least down to 20 to make the cabin comfortable. I'm now using 23, and it's just as comfortable. The Rayno S9 tint has made a massive difference with its 90+% IR rejection.

Arriving at the Maroochydore supercharger with only 7% battery was a bit arse-clenching though, especially since the trip planner said I'd have 12 when I started out. :eek:

the question is, should we now also tint the windscreen? (i. e. a 100%vlt tint)

Reactions: baillies
the question is, should we now also tint the windscreen? (i. e. a 100%vlt tint)
I'm not sure if I'd bother doing the windscreen. Nothing's quite as clear as pure glass, especially at night with oncoming headlights, and glass will be less likely to pick up microscratches over the years.
Also, that far North the sun is higher in the sky, so won't get quite as far into the cabin, ie won't hit the back of the driver's seat.

One of my favourite things about the car is the ability to pre-cool it. If you max the aircon for 15 minutes before getting in it really helps cool the roof as well, and I've never felt uncomfortable even on the hottest days.

Arriving at the Maroochydore supercharger with only 7% battery was a bit arse-clenching though, especially since the trip planner said I'd have 12 when I started out. :eek:

Also forgot to say, charging maxed out at 130kW after the latest software update.

cFShKQ2_WehbHkln-QbTZo47aXsD1HC6KjIl5LkUbj-mI4b5AiV9AJA0asof1G4IgDqpzv-RiWtIlyR5cP5nNS1snwlC5WF4zglsFWa61RmkTaMR9Mu0dBB3MR8qMjFeNpoMtsYFiqo3BN-PrA3Pmbh2DwaROvvL6ACNS9bJ1Ezd-v37bm6yWtfCNmHAofoSr94LV-C_bC9WvN43G1GV5TmmlYG1KQ1KzOrRIn-hN662ZTrnkOT1Td2_TZ4-SURJeCfABPhv1rxsNJzjL4tZoNqOj6JsN4XQ9zIL3lKS7zbkT5CsUdKyA_ryBkCTqcHcGRd8MXuZ9RYdfav4KXo_osBRLxMLZhKfUB9GknEyOuNXX8QUFuJK6XD2OLv6_IcYgARekjgf2d1NNG0_0dtISvz4_glqu2EhurWj0XQFFIntrk0lu_jZhMSiC1EqIjCpZWYfx44DKXmxS3wBZmBxRHXnWB_rJiA-IU34eaKL0Kco_5vYII6RRDxbYbetUODmBs9d9R8vlszX7xOP57fLos-cjdwXN3ERYIh_S-f-zjet_EbfJmoTwIEpAjraCB3aK8ITBMpfl7q-kHT-mHK3miAORL8-o91Yj8NiNJZNRasRNC5KOCag533gw9QzU34qgjyF2r0kKXvSpJ5LNgAvqfGW-Es3gFa9pTvYMX69qtIbtnMwHr7KOhKt=w1202-h901-no

I did ask about this at the place I went to and they said they can't / won't do that. I'm not sure if they thought it was illegal, or simply didn't have the right tint to do it.

Any coating (i.e. Tint) to a windscreen (other than noted below) that reduces its luminous transmittance is illegal in NSW. So it looks like even a clear film that passes 99.999% of visible light would therefore be technically illegal!

Relevant part extract from NSW Legislation:

Window tinting(cf ALVSR 2015 r 44; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 45)

(3) Glazing used in a windscreen of a motor vehicle must not be coated in a way that reduces its luminous transmittance.
(4) However, subrules (2) and (3) do not apply to the greater of the following areas of a windscreen—
(a) the area above the highest point of the windscreen that is swept by a windscreen wiper,
(b) the upper 10% of the windscreen.

Source: NSW legislation - clause 44 and 44A cover glazing and tinting

I just did a road trip from Brisbane to Bundaberg and back, driving mostly in the middle of the day. It was around 35 outside. Before I had the roof shades and tinting done (especially the tinting) the a/c had to be on at least down to 20 to make the cabin comfortable. I'm now using 23, and it's just as comfortable. The Rayno S9 tint has made a massive difference with its 90+% IR rejection.

Not really. I routinely arrive with 2-4% at a charger or 3 phase outlet due to lack of fast charging and large distances in north Australia. Some people up here with the less efficient Model S have scrape
I personally would not look at what the car says, I would just record your average efficiency using one trip meter and calculate the remaining range from there or set yourself a watt/km number you need to stay under. This is more accurate... I.e. I have one stop where I need to cover 520km so I know have I to get better average efficiency than 142W/km or I need to slow down.
Teslas internal calculator seems to ignore AC and HVAC usage.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
Not really. I routinely arrive with 2-4% at a charger or 3 phase outlet due to lack of fast charging and large distances in north Australia. Some people up here with the less efficient Model S have scrape
I personally would not look at what the car says, I would just record your average efficiency using one trip meter and calculate the remaining range from there or set yourself a watt/km number you need to stay under. This is more accurate... I.e. I have one stop where I need to cover 520km so I know have I to get better average efficiency than 142W/km or I need to slow down.
Teslas internal calculator seems to ignore AC and HVAC usage.
All fair comments. But bear in mind I have an SR+ so 7% is closer to your 2-4% in range terms for the LR. I had about 25-30km left. The whole trip averaged 149 Wh/km which was pretty decent considering I had a massive headwind for the first hour.