Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just backtracked through several pages of people going back and forth about the 'value' of this product without seeing what it was folks were discussing. I'm thankful that the snippiness stuff went elsewhere since it is already hard to figure out the root value proposition. So here's the root:

The current Tesla link for it -- http://shop.teslamotors.com/collecti...center-console
My view: nice enough, looks ok and has options for matching the rest of car. The TeslaAccessories CCI is better, imho, just looking at features. I'm still not getting either, because my wife doesn't really want either one. But I'm curious what they came up with.

Snipped version of the waiting list email:
Dear Tesla Model S Owner,

You are receiving this note because you are on the Tesla Model S Premium Center Console wait list.

We understand that the wait has been long and frustrating for many of you. We appreciate your patience and would like to offer the console to you at a special discounted aftermarket wait list price. The pricing is as follows:

Piano Black: $600
Obeche Matte: $650
Obeche Gloss: $650
Lacewood: $650
Carbon Fiber: $800

Wait list members will also be offered the iPhone 5/S lightning cable dock kit or the micro USB dock kit at no additional charge. There will not be a dock kit available for phones that use other charging cables (iPhone 4, etc.).
It appears the current waiting list gets the lightning cable or micro USB doc kit, but otherwise the prices are as listed. There may be some other discount, but that's hard to tell from the wording. This special pricing doesn't indicate what the final pricing/features are.
It wouldn't hurt to add yourself to the waiting list now, I guess. Don't know how far back it'll be grandfathered.

Last edited:
To be fair though, Tesla has given heads up in the past (car price increase and warranty price increase).
Well they've been better recently but January, 2009 will live on forever (with TomSax) & allowed me to become a legend in my own mind! :tongue:

I think that Tesla's "Concept" Console looks good and looks like a good price but both are, indeed, still concepts.
As I wrote way upstream that they would not have it in time for "Spring, 2013", nor "Summer, 2013".
I will now go out on a limb and predict that they will NOT be out in time before the end of "Fall, 2013" (12/20/13). IMHO

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla should have a policy and stick to it, not make up new protocols and randomly adhere to them.
While I do agree with you, I also agree with one of your previous posts that said something to the affect of 'if you're not happy, you'd walk away from the product.'
That is capitalism at work. If you're by yourself, then it won't have much impact, but if Tesla gets a reputation of bait and switch it will be far harder to recapture upset Teslaficionados on the back side! And that coming from an EARLY ADOPTER FAN BOY (there, got all the buzz words in) who is "Tesla Brand Ambassador" identification card # 1!

And that coming from an EARLY ADOPTER FAN BOY (there, got all the buzz words in) who is "Tesla Brand Ambassador" identification card # 1!

Now see? When I say I don't consider myself an early adopter, it's because of people like you who put serious money down not knowing if there would be a company (much less a car) a few months into the future. You, vfx, chad s, tom saxton, stevezzzz (+- some z's there), and many others here on the forum were the true early adopters and believers. Me? I put a deposit down on a Roadster from a publicly traded company, knowing I'd have one three months later. That's not the leap of faith that folks like you made. And I thank you for making the leap that you did.

You can wear that label proudly. :)

I will now go out on a limb and predict that they will NOT be out in time before the end of "Fall, 2013" (12/20/13). IMHO

Did you also check up-thread and realize that Tesla said:

Generally speaking, those that were placed on the wait list after August are unlikely to receive a console before the end of the year. When production has ramped up we expect to have consoles available to order for everyone on the wait list by January and February of next year.

But no wait list was documented here until 10/15....

;-)

Back to the console...

So how exactly does it open up? It slides forward all the way into the front? Even the big cf piece? Looks like the silver pull is in the middle so where does the cf go when open?

The original prototype design shown on the website had a roll-up section toward the front, and a flip-up décor-matched panel at the rear. The new design appears to have a two-piece sliding cover toward the front, and the section at the rear now has a little rubber-lined wall (where the phone dock fits). The décor-matched panel seems to missing in the "open" views, so it's hard to tell if it flips up the way the original design did. If it does, it will likely flip up and its top edge will rest against the front of the rise under the armrests.

I just Received this email from Tesla which to me means I'm eligible for the discount pricing and free iphone Dock even though I just signed up for the list:

Hello DRATIFK,

I added you to the wait list for the center console.

For more console information please see the email pasted below that was sent to those on the wait list last week.

Dear Tesla Model S Owner,

You are receiving this note because you are on the Tesla Model S Premium Center Console wait list.

We understand that the wait has been long and frustrating for many of you. We appreciate your patience and would like to offer the console to you at a special discounted aftermarket wait list price. The pricing is as follows:

Piano Black: $600
Obeche Matte: $650
Obeche Gloss: $650
Lacewood: $650
Carbon Fiber: $800

Wait list members will also be offered the iPhone 5/S lightning cable dock kit or the micro USB dock kit at no additional charge. There will not be a dock kit available for phones that use other charging cables (iPhone 4, etc.).

We are excited to announce that we have the first console samples installed in our Model S and we are going forward with production. The production rate will take some time to ramp up and the first few batches of consoles will be small. There are over 1100 people on the wait list. In the next couple of weeks we will start sending out emails to those at the top of the wait list with links to place orders for the console, and we will begin delivering the first batch of consoles shortly after that.

We do not have the exact delivery timing for each wait list entry so please bear with us as we work our way down the wait list and send out ordering information as more consoles become available. Generally speaking, those that were placed on the wait list after August are unlikely to receive a console before the end of the year. When production has ramped up we expect to have consoles available to order for everyone on the wait list by January and February of next year.

All available information regarding pricing, options and delivery timing is contained in this email. It is not necessary to reply to this email as we have all the information from you that we need and we do have not more details available at this time.

Thank you again for your patience and have a happy holidays.

Regards,
Hugh

http://shop.teslamotors.com

what about Day 2? sure, TM can change the price, what is your point? as I stated, a company can certainly change prices...but when something a) has a price announced and b) goes on sale, all people who PURCHASE it at that time should pay the same price. If TM asked for and took deposits, I can certainly see why those who did so get different pricing, however this was not the case.

When buying on Amazon I most often put the item in the cart and wait a few days or weeks before buying. If I come back and re-read the description I can determine whether I really want the item or was that just a weak impulse moment. ( a great technique to use for Skymall!) :)

When I return a week or two later there is a long list of price changes. "This book price has been raised 23 cents to $15.65" or "This component has been reduced $1.25 to $35.22". I assume they are adjusting these prices based on all sorts of criteria (anyone here know?) I'm guessing, in stock availability, demand, or lack of same, and a thousands of reasons the bots figure what they can get away with.

Do I get upset? Only at the ones that go up. ;)

I needed to get a last-minute one-way ticket to LAX today (at airport now waiting on flight) and not only was it cheaper than what I usually pay, the first class ticket was $50 LESS than economy. I can't figure those pricing bots out. And I'm sure I'm paying a different price than everyone else on the flight.

I needed to get a last-minute one-way ticket to LAX today (at airport now waiting on flight) and not only was it cheaper than what I usually pay, the first class ticket was $50 LESS than economy. I can't figure those pricing bots out. And I'm sure I'm paying a different price than everyone else on the flight.

That's a good point. Somehow I don't see the airlines offering most favored pricing clauses in their ticket contracts that would refund fares to people who paid top dollar. In fact, most if not all of the large legacy carriers change pretty steep change fees if you try to re-fare a ticket that was purchased at a higher price when the price later drops.

Airlines use very complex algorithms to determine ticket pricing to maximize revenue. They know what load factors to expect on any given day and adjust pricing to achieve the desired rate of bookings.... Remember, seats are perishable goods.
BTW, my favorite airline, Alaska, will refund or credit the difference in current ticket price and what you paid any time the fare changes... and you notice it...

When buying on Amazon I most often put the item in the cart and wait a few days or weeks before buying. If I come back and re-read the description I can determine whether I really want the item or was that just a weak impulse moment. ( a great technique to use for Skymall!) :)

When I return a week or two later there is a long list of price changes. "This book price has been raised 23 cents to $15.65" or "This component has been reduced $1.25 to $35.22". I assume they are adjusting these prices based on all sorts of criteria (anyone here know?) I'm guessing, in stock availability, demand, or lack of same, and a thousands of reasons the bots figure what they can get away with.

Amazon also charges different amount to different people at the same time, in part to determine what the sweet spot if for a product price. I've seen it myself when I log into a different computer and look up an item without login into my account first.

Also, I've noticed several sites give different prices if you come in via a price searching site link.

So if one did not sign up for waitlist (didn't even know there was one) but is an MS owner and has been interested in the console for months, the price will be some higher amount?

Are you kidding me?
Before getting huffy about it, you might want to try contacting your nearest store and/or the email address on the page to find out if you can join the wait list. Do we have any evidence (from Tesla or otherwise) that the wait list is closed already?

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly the type of pricing behavior that should not happen.
Disagree. But something you might also agree with is this...

Given that at least one person will post such emails to TMC or other forums, they really should announce the non-waitlist pricing at the same time. That way people can (properly) calm the f down if it's only like a 5-10% discount and (rightly) contact Tesla immediately if the discount is something amazing like 90%.

- - - Updated - - -

Market resach now constitutes an offer. And yes I've put my name on the "list" does that mean tesla will honor the discount price that prior list participants get? Who knows. Not sure what your point is.
Her point about asking if you're on the wait list is to try to help you out and make sure that you saw the link and positioned yourself properly (on the waitlist, rather than missing out by an hour or whatever because you're busy on the forum). Take it for what it was -- a nudge from a friend. Yeesh.

- - - Updated - - -

My intent wasn't to put words in your mouth. But when a roadster owner said she doesn't consider herself an early adopter, what's the insinuation to those that are MS owners?
None. You're overreading.

George Clooney bought a Roadster. From what I've seen of how he (under)used the car and (under)supported Tesla, I don't consider him an early adopter.
More than zero people bought the 40 kWh Model S. I consider all of them early adopters.

Deal with it. "Early adopter" is not a simple timeline measurement. It's much more than that.

Calm down. Stop assuming hostile intent. Please. I'm not a moderator, just a poster like you. But I feel for them trying to keep this discussion on course.

I've been on the waiting list for the console since shortly after I placed my order for my P85 on Halloween. Factory delivery on 12/21 (woohoo!)

For what it's worth, I sent the following email a few days ago after they sent out the email blast to those on the waitlist:

Quick question for you, and something you might want to put on the website / description / photos regarding the iPhone dock kit:

I was wondering if your docking kit has enough clearance behind the lightning connector to allow an iPhone in a slim case to mount correctly. I think many if not most iPhone owners put their iPhones in protective cases. It would be impossible to design your console to accommodate all cases, especially thick ones like the OtterBox or ones with built-in batteries, but having one or two millimeters of clearance to accommodate thin cases will be important - the console and docking kit will lose its appeal if one has to take the iPhone out of a case each time you want to dock it. Might be worth photographing an iPhone in the kit/console with a few different cases. The photo on your website shows an uncased iPhone, which is the reason for my query.

Got a nice email back today:

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your feedback. We are looking closely at the dock kit fitment now and the questions you raised are being considered. We will certainly be clear with the dock kit description so that customers will know if the dock is the right fit for them.

Thought I'd share this with the group.

Jamie

Thanks for sharing Jamie...

That's a really good point to bring up. I've been looking for an alarm clock dock that works without removing the Apple leather case for my 5S and can't find one. Here's hoping Tesla finds a solution that works with most cases (especially since many have a similar opening to the Apple case -- and some are thicker or thinner...

I emailed them on Sunday night about my interest and tonight I got an email saying that I was on the wait list and they copied the email with the pricing as shown earlier in the thread. So its still possible to get on the wait list.

Same here. I now will get the wait list pricing.

Queue the tide turn. Now it'll be the "people who long suffered on the wait list when it was originally posted not getting any better deal than those who are just signing up now" angst.

I'm kidding. Well maybe only half-kidding.