Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up our car from the Santa Monica service center this morning, and I asked my service rep if they had gotten any of the consoles in yet. He said they had just gotten one -- apparently it's the first or second one to have actually been produced. He graciously let me take a look at it, still in the box.

It looks like it does in the pics and video. Though it actually is a bit more spacious than I expected. It had only a small bit of carbon fiber trim (the plate that flips up for the phone dock) -- so if cost is a concern, the piano black is probably a good way to go.

I'm still not convinced I want a center console - from an aesthetic standpoint, I'd still much rather get the Yacht floor!

How was the build quality?

How was the build quality?

I'd say it's good, or maybe very good. Honestly, it was hard to tell, since it wasn't installed. The whole box had some flex to it. But once the console drops into place, it locks into extra side walls (sort of a panel that goes on either side of the box). I expect once it's locked it, it would feel very solid.

The flip-up part for the phone holder/charger felt nice, and it had a smooth spring/opening action to it. The only part that was not great was the sliding hatch - it was a little tough to slide open, and the silver handle was very small, so it was a little tricky to open (it was a little stiff, and my hand slipped off of it as I opened it). But again, this was while it was sitting in a cardboard box and not installed, and I think it would be better once installed. I also think this may have been more of a prototype than a full production model - so I don't know if we can accurately extrapolate build quality anyway.

Gee, re-reading that, I'm pretty sure that wasn't helpful at all, sorry! ;)

Andrew, does the cup holder rings (or whatever you call it) stay inside the storage and can pop open when needed?

Hmm. I didn't get a good look at them, and I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but: The adjustable dividers that go inside the storage compartment stay in there all the time (though are easily removed), and then you just slide the hatch open (forward) or closed (back) to access the inside. Does that answer your question?

Did you get a feel for how permanent the installation will be? I love that the CCI can be popped in and out in seconds. But Tesla indicates in the waitlist email that there is service installation required...makes me wonder if the install is permanent?

I would guess that the installation anchors it to the car so that it will be safe in a roll-over accident--even though roll-over is an unlikely event.

Did you get a feel for how permanent the installation will be? I love that the CCI can be popped in and out in seconds. But Tesla indicates in the waitlist email that there is service installation required...makes me wonder if the install is permanent?

I didn't get a good look at the side panels that the box snaps into (they were still in plastic wrap in the shipping box). However, my service rep was particularly excited about how easy it was going to be to install. iI'm just not sure about the side panels, so I'm not sure what it would take to roll back those to the original.. I'm guessing it's pretty doable, though.

I'd rather have the option to not pay for either option instead of having the cost bundled into the cost

I agree with you GDH 100% and that may be the reason they only charge $650 (non carbon fiber) to prevent owners yield and scream. They can easily charge $1500 or more.

I like the open space. I would never ever ever ever pay for the CCI as those costs are absurd, but I still won't pay for the Tesla one either. I really like the open space, and I'll probably just feel claustrophobic with any type of center console insert regardless of who it is from. *IF* I were to really want one though, I think it's actually a very simple decision to get the Tesla one. Looks better. Fits better. Much more versatility. OEM. likely higher quality. and also at half the cost (50% cheaper). it's a no brainer really.

I spoke with the SM here and he said the new console's iPhone5x / MicroUSB dock might possibly still make available the two existing USB ports. This might mean there is a 3rd USB port that can be used.

Also, if you want to get the super special pricing, you can get on the wait list late and still get the offer.

Wow, they're fast. I just got this email:

Thank you for your interest in the Tesla Model S Premium Center Console. We added you to the waitlist for a console with the piano black décor. We expect the console will be available to those recently added to the list around March of next year. Below is the pricing and availability information that was sent to customers on the waitlist last week.

Depending on décor choice, the Premium Center Console ranges from $600-$800 as an option with new vehicle orders and from $800-$1000 as a service installed aftermarket accessory. The difference in price is due to increased expense related to shipping and installation time at the local Tesla service center.
As an early Model S owner we recognize that the Premium Center Console option was not available at the time you ordered. Therefore, we are offering you the Premium Center Console at the new vehicle order price. Shipping and service installation are complimentary.

Detailed pricing for each decor style:

pic.png

We are also offering the iPhone 5/S lightning cable dock kit or the micro USB dock kit at no additional charge. There will not be a dock kit available for phones that use other charging cables (iPhone 4, etc.).

We are excited to announce that we have the first console samples installed in our Model S and we are going forward with production. The production rate will take some time to ramp up and the first few batches of consoles will be small. In the next couple of weeks we will start sending out emails to those at the top of the waitlist with links to place orders for the console, and we will begin delivering the first batch of consoles shortly after that. We do not have the exact delivery timing for each waitlist entry so please bear with us as we work our way down the list and send out ordering information as more consoles become available.

We are excited to launch the Premium Center Console and hope that you are enjoying your Model S. Thank you for your continued support and please let us know if we can assist with additional questions.

I wonder if it's safe to assume from the above message (which is worded differently than what I received) that the discount is just in the installation cost and that possibly all current owners who were not able to add this to our original orders (which is basically everyone) will receive complimentary installation without having to be on the wait list?

I was actually hoping that the installation would not be a permanent one.

I wonder if it's safe to assume from the above message (which is worded differently than what I received) that the discount is just in the installation cost and that possibly all current owners who were not able to add this to our original orders (which is basically everyone) will receive complimentary installation without having to be on the wait list?

I was actually hoping that the installation would not be a permanent one.

It is confusing. I see it as free installation plus the free iPhone 5/S lightning cable dock kit or the micro USB dock kit, if you don't get on the list. Perhaps installation will be free if not on the list (but the pricing is not worded that way) and I also doubt the dock kit will be free since in the Tesla store it reads: "optional iPhone-5 Lightning Phone Dock (sold separately)."