Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor no longer offers range choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Canadian deliveries cited above are for mid-2018; do you think it is likely that the 200,000th US delivery will be after the third quarter 2018?

If Tesla can off load a lot of production to other countries, they may be able to push the 200,000th US car sale to Q3. So Canada would get a heap o' Tesla in Q2. I'd call mid to late Q2 part of mid 2018 (if mid is 6-4 months, that includes most/ all of Q2).

If Tesla can off load a lot of production to other countries, they may be able to push the 200,000th US car sale to Q3. So Canada would get a heap o' Tesla in Q2. I'd call mid to late Q2 part of mid 2018 (if mid is 6-4 months, that includes most/ all of Q2).

Note that they might not all make it to Canadian customers by the end of June. That does require international shipping and at scale to Canada that Tesla has not done prior.

The Canadian deliveries cited above are for mid-2018; do you think it is likely that the 200,000th US delivery will be after the third quarter 2018?

see the running total and math at US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

Though I don't think 3 months will matter for those wanting the full credit, AWD, and SR on the same car now that SR is a 2019 thing.

Here is the phase out for the two scenarios

tesla200kphasout-png.288038

• Informative
Reactions: CheeseJam and mongo
The range difference is far from "modest" in the non "P" version of the Model S in real world testing. When my Model S was still a 60D, it had virtually the same highway range as an 85 RWD. Now that it's a 75D, I can easily achieve 275 miles highway while maintaining speed with traffic.

That's your opinion and your own anecdotal evidence being stated as fact.

According to the EPA and Tesla's numbers the difference in range is roughly 10%. I, and many other people would call that "modest".

All-wheel-drive Tesla electric cars rated more efficient, but how?

That's your opinion and your own anecdotal evidence being stated as fact.

According to the EPA and Tesla's numbers the difference in range is roughly 10%. I, and many other people would call that "modest".

All-wheel-drive Tesla electric cars rated more efficient, but how?
Virtually everyone that has tested their non "P" cars has had the same results. My results are based off of evidence and are repeatable. EPA tests are not real world tests and it's known that Tesla has voluntarily reduced the rated range more than once.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Possibly it's because you're a current owner, but let's see if it changes for you in the next week or so.
It's because he's an owner that is also an early first-day reservation. You can tell because he's in the US and his AWD is mid-2018. The small group of reservations that fall into that group have been late 2018 on SR since the big estimate adjustment last month.

Official Tesla target is still to get the first SR battery packs build and shipped to customers before the end of the year.

It doesn’t make sense to make AWD SR when all AWD and LR and most likely
AWD + LR + PUP + EAP + Paint production is going to be consumed through 2018 with certainty.

It’s nothing personal just supply/demand.

Add in P and it will delay AWD SR even further.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
I read the change as giving Tesla wiggle room to decide which battery to put in the AWD cars. They used to say 'your pick;' now they say 'our choice.'
"What comes off the lines we've managed to get working so far." :p They haven't gotten to the SR pack production lines yet, so of course they can't build that. Which was always the case, it's just that they used to think they were going to get the battery pack to the point of making SRs before they had the front axel motor production worked out.

I think this is due to so many like myself...we've been invited but we are waiting for dual motor. They are realizing with all of us who are waiting for that, the possibility of releasing dual motor AND getting the SR battery out the door this year are becoming increasingly slim..

With production delivery moving to Canada, to give US buyers the maximum chance of receiving the full tax credit, that is taking up the SR battery pack cars that would have gone to day one reservation holders. I can see no other reason for Canada to be receiving cars before US non-owners.

Reactions: preilly44
As far as timing, nothing has changed for me. My Order Page for my second reservation still shows Mid 2018 for the dual motor. I've already configured my first reservation. My Delivery Estimator says Late 2018 but that changed over a month ago.

I do notice that there is no standard range option on dual motor but I'm not sure how long ago that changed. Could have been when the Delivery Estimator went to Late 2018.

I'm in California, non-owner, early line waiter.

I wish Tesla would just break up with me instead of stringing me along.

I see you driving 'round town
With the car I love and I'm like,
Forget you!
Oo, oo, ooo
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn't enough I'm like,
Forget you!
And forget current owners too!
Said, if I was richer, I'd still be with ya
Ha, now ain't that some s***? (ain't that some s***?)
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish Elon the best with a
Forget you!
Oo, oo, ooo
Yeah I'm sorry, I can't afford a S Model,
But that don't mean a 3 can't get you there.
I guess he's an X Model and I'm no Ferrari,
About the way you play your game ain't fair.
I pity the foooool that falls in love with alcantara
(Oh s*** she's a long-distance digger)
Well
(Just thought you should know n****)
Ooooooh
I've got some news for you
Yeah go run and tell your little reservation holder
I see you driving 'round town
With the car I love and I'm like,
Forget you!
Oo, oo, ooo

(for the less musically inclined: