Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor priority?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The spreadsheet doesn't have to include every reservation holder in order for it to be a statistically significant sampling of the population group.

But common sense says that it isn't even close to being a statistically significant sample. Many people only enter their data when they configure (I certainly did), so I imagine it under-represents deferred orders by a huge margin.

Reactions: goto10 and EinSV
But common sense says that it isn't even close to being a statistically significant sample. Many people only enter their data when they configure (I certainly did), so I imagine it under-represents deferred orders by a huge margin.

I fully understand the implications of statistical significance and sample size.

I was responding to one thing only: The assertion made by LCR1 that in order for the spreadsheet to be useful it has to include every reservation holder. Period.

Responding as though I said anything other than that is arguing a point that I didn't make.

Pure speculation, but I have a feeling that Tesla is planning to turn on AWD configurations ~ June 10th, with deliveries starting July 2.

If my suspicions are correct, the white interior could be enabled anytime from mid-March too, depending on Q1 & Q2 projected S/X deliveries.

Reactions: preilly44
No the assertion was that you need some sort of reliable number, not only do you not have every reservation to know for sure, you don't have even half a percent of them to get
But, once they are at 5k / wk, all the deliveries to date will be outnumbered in one week of non-owner deliveries.
Has nothing to do with what my statement was referencing.

Original post:

I have a feeling they are going to release these in stages and the people who wanted a Telsa now bought one then when the AWD comes out they'll trade in, then when a performance comes out they'll trade in again.

The rest of them:

I doubt that will happen much at all with 3. People buying 3 don't have the same kind of disposable income S/X owners have.

Except for the fact that 99% of the M3s sold right now are current S/X owners and how many more deferred to the AWD?

But, once they are at 5k / wk, all the deliveries to date will be outnumbered in one week of non-owner deliveries.

Has nothing to do with what my statement was referencing.

Refers to your original post to which I replied earlier.

So my original post was that people would trade in, then the comment about money, my response that 99% of current M3 owners already owns an S/X so money isn't a concern for most. Nothing said after that is relevant to my post that people who wanted a M3 now are willing to trade later for an dual motor and/or performance model.

And to think that a car selling for $10K over net price now will suddenly be a 30K loss is ridiculous, even for me to say. Sure they won't carry a premium but they won't loss half their value over night.

Additionally: Your comment also assumes that only people who currently own teslas have money and once they are producing 5K/wk those people couldn't afford to upgrade if they want. 25% of households in america make more than 100K. Of the 127 million households in America, that's 31 Million homes, tesla has sold less than 200K cars. Think about it .

Last edited:
No but it has to include a large enough sample from each demographic. Of the 450K reservations you have 917 reported, that's 0.2% of reservations, not much of a statistical analysis. That spread sheet also only included people that know about it. How many of those 450K reservations holder are members on here? And even on the spreadsheet, of those that reported deferring, 44% didn't even list a reason.
Quinnipiac is well known and trusted in the polling industry. Their sample rate for a US national poll is around 1,250 US voters. Given that US voters in the last election were about 63 million people that works out to a sample rate of about .002% of the voters. That means the spreadsheet has a 100 times larger sample rate than trusted national polling. Now it's probably skewed somewhat because almost everyone on the forum would be considered an enthusiast but the sample size is not insignificant.

Quinnipiac is well known and trusted in the polling industry. Their sample rate for a US national poll is around 1,250 US voters. Given that US voters in the last election were about 63 million people that works out to a sample rate of about .002% of the voters. That means the spreadsheet has a 100 times larger sample rate than trusted national polling. Now it's probably skewed somewhat because almost everyone on the forum would be considered an enthusiast but the sample size is not insignificant.

The sample is hugely skewed. Not only is everybody an enthusiast, but mostly people who are eager to configure are the ones paying attention and entering information in the spreadsheet at all (as I said before I didn't fill out the spreadsheet until after I ordered). The entire science of polling is getting a representative sample. To try and argue that the spreadsheet is reflective of anything is just wrong. And if you are making some abstract point that has nothing to do with how accurate the percentages on the spreadsheet are then who cares.

Like the voter polls that showed Hillary ahead the entire campaign and exit polls that showed her winning? Yea those polls are so trust worthy.

• Funny
Reactions: McRat
3/31 line waiter and non owner . Got invited to configure last week. Waiting for dual motor. Does anyone have any insight into how they will prioritize when those with invites to configure can order a dual Motor M3? First come first served or will when go employee, owner, non-owner?

I got my configuration email 2/4 and am waiting on the dual motor as well. My estimator currently says mid-2018.

I'm not sure which one to trust. Mine shows late 2018 in the estimator but mid 2018 in the configurator.

Attachments

• AWD1.jpg
    AWD1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 78
  • AWD2.jpg
    AWD2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 66
I'm not sure which one to trust. Mine shows late 2018 in the estimator but mid 2018 in the configurator.
I would think the configurator reigns supreme as between the two. Though, to reconcile, it may mean that dual motor will be "first" available in mid 2018, but not "really" available until Late 2018. I have decided not to rely on (at least pay no attention to) the estimator or configurator. I sleep better that way. :)

Like the voter polls that showed Hillary ahead the entire campaign and exit polls that showed her winning? Yea those polls are so trust worthy.
You may want to read a bit more on this. The national polls were within margin of error. What they got wrong was specific swing states, that happened to matter a lot. Ofcourse, the pundits got it quite wrong.

Trump Is Just A Normal Polling Error Behind Clinton

It Wasn't the Polls That Missed, It Was the Pundits | RealClearPolitics!

We are a very late reservation holder and owner (invite 2/14/18) and received the exact same windows as you posted. I think the window where you get to "configure or hold place in line" is just an estimate when Tesla in general expects to start shipment of those versions out, not that you will get one then. The window you get with the actual Delivery estimate for each version is your personal timeframe and the one I would go by. I think it more accurately reflects your place in line.

There were weeks/months of owner invites (those who reserved from 3/31 and before us) that will come before us in configuring for AWD and it seems reasonable to me that they would be able to order their AWD weeks/months before us. Some of the early owners have said they have a mid-2018 AWD delivery estimate and ours was Aug-Oct 2018 and last updated to late-2018. It also makes sense that early (3/31) non-owners would fall in the delivery line right behind the end of the line deferring owners.

No the assertion was that you need some sort of reliable number, not only do you not have every reservation to know for sure, you don't have even half a percent of them to get any sensible guess.
It's not the absolute number of people in the spreadsheet, it's whether or not they are a statistically representative sample of the orders. There are many reasons the people in the spreadsheet could be "different" than the reservation population. However, for this purpose, the only thing that matters is people who have received invites and have deferred (or not).

We are a very late reservation holder and owner (invite 2/14/18) and received the exact same windows as you posted. I think the window where you get to "configure or hold place in line" is just an estimate when Tesla in general expects to start shipment of those versions out, not that you will get one then. The window you get with the actual Delivery estimate for each version is your personal timeframe and the one I would go by. I think it more accurately reflects your place in line.

There were weeks/months of owner invites (those who reserved from 3/31 and before us) that will come before us in configuring for AWD and it seems reasonable to me that they would be able to order their AWD weeks/months before us. Some of the early owners have said they have a mid-2018 AWD delivery estimate and ours was Aug-Oct 2018 and last updated to late-2018. It also makes sense that early (3/31) non-owners would fall in the delivery line right behind the end of the line deferring owners.
I also am a very late reservation holder.

I expect that Telsa will at some time decide that the dual motor is ready for production and at that time they will add it to the configurator for anyone that had previously been able to configure. So on that day, they will get more dual motor configuration requests than they can make. At that time all invitations to us very late reservation holders will stop. The time from configure to VIN will go way up. Maybe the 3-6 weeks will become 1-3 months for those that configure dual motors. Tesla will work through all of those and then get back to inviting the very late reservation holders to configure after they have shipped dual motor cars to all the earlier people that had deferred configuration.

By the way, the same thing will happen when they allow the SR battery.