Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor priority?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3/31 line waiter and non owner . Got invited to configure last week. Waiting for dual motor. Does anyone have any insight into how they will prioritize when those with invites to configure can order a dual Motor M3? First come first served or will when go employee, owner, non-owner?

Tesla should be able to produce both these fittments down the same assembly line, as the Model 3 frames already have provisions for an extra motor in the front.

Probably released alongside the RWD models as an option, rather than a whole different vehicle.

That is how it was done with the Model S. Wait was not changed because of number of motors ordered.

Think the dual motor will be a super popular option, especially in the regions with snow.

I have a feeling they are going to release these in stages and the people who wanted a Telsa now bought one then when the AWD comes out they'll trade in, then when a performance comes out they'll trade in again.

I have a feeling they are going to release these in stages and the people who wanted a Telsa now bought one then when the AWD comes out they'll trade in, then when a performance comes out they'll trade in again.
I doubt that will happen much at all with 3. People buying 3 don't have the same kind of disposable income S/X owners have.

Amusing that you think that somebody who can afford to flush $40-50k down the toilet by doing this kind of double trade in would have bought an M3 in the first place. It has never been an acceptable financial deal for the customer when they do a Tesla-for-Tesla trade in unless money is no object.

The pre-owned market is basically non-existent right now. It will likely still be scarce when awd and performance are produced. If it is, an eBay or for sell by owner may still fetch a decent price. Money will still be lost, but I would think there are at least some owners planning this.

If I recall correctly, according to the spreadsheet, only about 25% have deferred.
Not everyone puts their data in that spreadsheet. In our household, we had 4 reservations. One has been purchased, two are deferred and one has been cancelled. Looking at my spreadsheet, that's a 50% deferral rate right there! 66% if you don't count the cancelled reservation. ;)

The mechanics of prioritizing AWD orders might be interesting with the design center open to many people already. It could simply be a free-for-all when AWD shows up in the design center. Or maybe they can restrict AWD to appear in the design center only for accounts that have early priority? Doesn't seems like they have done that before. Or maybe a special web page for those allowed to order AWD?

The other interesting thing is if they will continue batching builds (as far as we can tell), or start mixing different car configurations on the assembly line. Will AWD cars be mixed in or made in batches? If they have the capability to mix different builds in assembly, maybe the white interior will show up, and they'll be ready for the SR battery and standard/premium interior when they become viable.

The spreadsheet doesn't have to include every reservation holder in order for it to be a statistically significant sampling of the population group.
No but it has to include a large enough sample from each demographic. Of the 450K reservations you have 917 reported, that's 0.2% of reservations, not much of a statistical analysis. That spread sheet also only included people that know about it. How many of those 450K reservations holder are members on here? And even on the spreadsheet, of those that reported deferring, 44% didn't even list a reason.

Reactions: davedavedave
We may never know when the AWD first happens. They can do Employee's with non-disclosure agreements and never tell the public. It is not like when they started production last fall.

After that they can contact people that deferred and set up private agreements. This of course is more likely to leak out but it still could be 100's of AWD cars made and shipped before the public is aware, or before the configuration is available in the design center.

When the AWD configuration is available, there will be a glut of people that configure it but that may make them take 3 or 4 months to get an AWD VIN while those getting the RWD could get VINs quickly. At that point AWD will be just like Aero wheels are today.

All of this is up to how Tesla wants to do it.

No but it has to include a large enough sample from each demographic. Of the 450K reservations you have 917 reported, that's 0.2% of reservations, not much of a statistical analysis. That spread sheet also only included people that know about it. How many of those 450K reservations holder are members on here? And even on the spreadsheet, of those that reported deferring, 44% didn't even list a reason.

This is a very different rationale than the "Yea, because every reservation holder is on that spread sheet." to which I responded. Had the above been your initial response, my post would have been unnecessary.

This is a very different rationale than the "Yea, because every reservation holder is on that spread sheet." to which I responded. Had the above been your initial response, my post would have been unnecessary.
The end result is still the same no matter which comment of mine you use, that user reported spreadsheet is useless for determining what all the reservation holders are doing. 180K people reserved on the first day, more than all the cars they'd sold at that point, even after that we're only to what, 8,000 VINs and we've already made it through the first round of employees and owners?