TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

E-mazing EV Cross Continent Race

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by JackA, Aug 6, 2013.

1. JackA

JackA Member

E-Mazing Race

Check this link out! Sun Country Highway is making a huge statement by sponsoring this race starting in Seattle and ending on Prince Edward island.

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Really interested in this next year as the superchargers will make it a bit easier to get back with our single charger 60kWh

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I need to somehow manage to get more vacation but still stay employed. :)

4. Saphire

Saphire Member

Very Cool...That would be a great road trip just for fun and beautiful country!

5. almostFitToEat

As much as I'd like to do this...I cannot. However, if there is a big send-off on the 3rd in Seattle at the Best Western (?) I'd be more than happy to be a "groupie" and show support.

6. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

+1 Saphire and almostFitToEat.

Somehow I don't think the winner of the competition to stop at the most chargers will be a Tesla driver. OK, I hope not anyways!

7. Seattle

Seattle Member

Wow, that would be a fun trip! Sun country default route suggests driving straight across the US to Chicago, and then a jaunt up to Canada. I altered the route to go up through Vancouver where all the chargers are and it was still about 3600 miles. Not a supercharger in CA at this time (?)

Not clear what the tour/contest is really about, I guess just enjoying the trip. A great excuse to use up my vacation. And the perfect time, the kids will be back to school!

Suppose you could drive 240 miles, charge at 55 miles range per hour on a high power charger, call this a "tank".

8 days, realistic trip
    Drive 240 miles, charge at 55 mprh, drive at 65, 2 tanks per day, charge 2nd time at night.
    Driving: 7.3 hours
    Charging: 4.3 hours.
    3600/480 = 7.5 days call it 8 days.

If you went crazy, tried 3 tanks a day, you could do 5 days but 18 hours on the road each day. That would drive you so crazy you might join the nsa or something.

Is 60 miles range added per hour what you can get on cs90 (72 amps) sun country charger?

I better get my second charger in case I decide to do it.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No Superchargers in Canada yet... they are promising some on the 401 in Ontario and in the Vancouver area this winter.

The point of the event is to promote Sun Country Highway's EV charging network, and get the word out that you can now drive an EV across the continent (for free!) using high power charging stations. Now that all of Canada is covered coast-to-coast, Sun Country has launched into the USA. Here's a thread on the Washington State launch:

Help Green All Of Washington State’s Highways In 90 Days!!

Yes, this is the best reason to get the dual chargers for your Model S!

And yes, depending on the voltage supply at the destination, 55 mph is a reasonable number for 70A charging. If the voltage is lower it may be 50 mph, or if it's higher it may be 60 mph.

9. mcx-sea

mcx-sea Member

Any updates for this event?

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I just learned that Justin Beiber's aunt is driving a Roadster in this race. Just sayin'...

11. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

bwahaha... I don't know if that's good or bad.