Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

E.on Next Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone using the eon next drive tariff for their cheap charging rates? Does it work as stated going through the app?

I called them up to switch to it and the guy just said oh that’s a special team, got a call back a few hours later to switch to it and get the app set up. After 5 failed attempts it finally linked to my Tesla account then it wouldn’t recognise my account number so emailed them. Got a reply saying it should be working it wasn’t until I reinstalled the app then it didn’t have any eon account details so another email to get that added manually.

Needless to say I’m not entirely confident it’s going to work as planned and I’ll have more fun at the end of the month getting my charging credit back if it does indeed actually charge as planned.

Saw this on their website a few weeks ago, it did make me laugh that they'd go through all this faff of linking your Tesla account or a compatible charger because god forbid they only charge you 5p kw for running your dishwasher at 2am.

Still better than their last pitiful EV tariff of offering '800 miles' of free charging per year.

Well it’s supposedly scheduled my first charge for midnight, but I fear the problem will be getting the credit in my bill each month but we’ll see.

Octopus is back up plan just can’t be arsed with the ordeal of getting a SMETS2 meter installed. But maybe the upgrade to the old ones will be complete by then so it isn’t needed anymore.

Well it’s supposedly scheduled my first charge for midnight, but I fear the problem will be getting the credit in my bill each month but we’ll see.

Octopus is back up plan just can’t be arsed with the ordeal of getting a SMETS2 meter installed. But maybe the upgrade to the old ones will be complete by then so it isn’t needed anymore.

If it works out if may well be something that others would be interested to consider so do feedback once things have settled in.

Reactions: C225
Well it failed to start the charge at midnight last night, although I think that’s more to do with very poor cellular signal not being able to wake car up. I’ll leave sentry mode on tonight and see if that helps it.

Serious question, why would you consider this tariff over Octopus Go? Seems to be more complicated and more restrictive.
I was already with eon next anyway so an easy switch for the same price as octopus would be without the hassle of switching supplier and a SMETS2 meter install.

I thought I’d give it a go and if it doesn’t work out in a few months my current SMETS1 meter should have received it’s update to make it work like a 2 version so would be an easy switch then to octopus.

Reactions: btc1k
The reason I actively avoided Octopus was due to three people I know personally that are having/had a terrible time with them. All of their collective problems involving issues surrounding the smart meter either not working or not being installed.
I had no such problems with Eon, one phone call and all set up.

Well my second charging went much better last night, I left the car in Sentry mode as advised so it stays awake and it charged as expected overnight. So assuming the credit to my bill every month works as expected then should be fine.

I'm currently with shell, don't have a smart meter and shell aren't responding to requests, my current contract expires next month so likely to go with this over octopus to avoid smart meter hassles.
Other than a slight hassle to set up(Which in fairness was my own fault being too quick after my tariff switched it is pretty much) it's really just set up and leave it does all the rest. And the app which is run by EV.energy has great support with replies to my issues within minutes of sending them.

Other than a slight hassle to set up(Which in fairness was my own fault being too quick after my tariff switched it is pretty much) it's really just set up and leave it does all the rest. And the app which is run by EV.energy has great support with replies to my issues within minutes of sending them.
Seems I'm just out of contract with shell so went to sign up using your referral, it decided I don't have gas so after 30mins on phone fixed that so we should both get £50, they'll contact me on start date to activate the drive part.

Reactions: C225
The private "conversation" feature of the forum is handy for these bits of chat! ;):)
Am I missing some sort of forum rules? I was just reporting on my initial experience signing up with eon? I'm honestly not bothered about referrals beyond the saving it offers me and can't be bothered adding them to my profile (but I'll take what's going and don't see the harm in using someone on here who's given out helpful advice), but at the same time don't see the issue divulging how it's going signing up, it's quite the minefield out there with energy.

i.e. it took me 40 minutes on the phone, when I got a human they were "sure we'll sign you up", then when I went "yeah but I want the referral" I was then put on hold for 10 minutes while they "fixed" my address, then said if you want it you need to do it online, they can't deal with that over the phone.

I'll report back on how it goes when the account goes live, and how I "switch" to the drive tariff, to some considering their options it might be useful?

Is there something I did that's different to this beyond mentioning the sums involved?

1629495147734.png

So now switched to e.on next drive

I had to call them to activate the "drive" tariff.

Then I had to install the app "E.ON Next Drive"

Then in the app I had to create a new account with same email address as my EON account (bit confusing this bit, you'd think same account would work)

It then linked to my Tesla account and linked to my EON account automatically, also asked my exact location of charger.

App looked setup so at this point I plugged the car in and it started charging....

Unplugged, and told the car to be ready by certain time, still started charging

set it to off peak and then it help off charging and seems to have done what's it's told by EON.

Here's what it reports next day, seems to have started before midnight, not sure why. EON clearly varied the charge as there's a dip half way through, should only be 4p though, not 6p (wondering if that charge before midnight was at normal rate)

20210907_103159000_iOS.jpg

So now switched to e.on next drive

I had to call them to activate the "drive" tariff.

Then I had to install the app "E.ON Next Drive"

Then in the app I had to create a new account with same email address as my EON account (bit confusing this bit, you'd think same account would work)

It then linked to my Tesla account and linked to my EON account automatically, also asked my exact location of charger.

App looked setup so at this point I plugged the car in and it started charging....

Unplugged, and told the car to be ready by certain time, still started charging

set it to off peak and then it help off charging and seems to have done what's it's told by EON.

Here's what it reports next day, seems to have started before midnight, not sure why. EON clearly varied the charge as there's a dip half way through, should only be 4p though, not 6p (wondering if that charge before midnight was at normal rate)

View attachment 706168
Yeah thats a bit strange, I have the app only to charge at off-peak and also set the cost slider all the way down to 4p so it only does it then. In the car i have the start charging delayed until midnight but does seem controlled by the app.

My first credit to my account all worked as it should so it's all reasonably straight foward at the minute once you get past the initial set up gremlins i encountered as well.