Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eagerly Anticipating the First Non-Employee, Non-Current Owner Invite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@AustinPowers
It helps due to less effort needed to support the first group of vehicles, especially as SvC are ramping up. Just as starting in California makes things faster and easier.
It helps if the 3 will be used, ICE miles replaced are good regardless of family car count. I do agree if getting a 3 makes an S not driven, that is not helpful. However, it could also be the case that the older Tesla becomes a CPO for someone else.

I understand the annoyance and waiting longer, but once Tesla hits 1k cars per week, the line jumping of a new owner delays things by 10 minutes. If all new owners continually reserve a 3, that would be a problem.

Absolutely no consolation to me. And honestly, I used to be one of the very few extremely eager proponents of Tesla over here, spreading the faith so to speak among Germans, who on the whole are still extremely anti-BEV.
But I must admit my enthusiasm for Tesla is getting smaller and smaller, and with each passing month I am less inclined to fight against windmills trying to tell people over here how awesome Tesla is. As the more time passes, the less I believe in it myself. And that is coming from a day one reservation holder and TSLA stockholder.

@AustinPowers Was it really only every 'passing month' that changed your view? You must have known from the start that M3 was due for late '18. Why then the turnaround? The S is great, the X is great and the 3 looks like a great car also.

If anything Tesla needs support now more than ever. The legacy ice carmakers are getting more and more nervous and seem to increase their effort in 'killing Tesla'.

The fundamentals of Tesla are still the same, so I don't see any reason to change your sentiment only because of the waiting time that was clear from the start.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: preilly44 and DR61
@AustinPowers Was it really only every 'passing month' that changed your view? You must have known from the start that M3 was due for late '18. Why then the turnaround? The S is great, the X is great and the 3 looks like a great car also.

If anything Tesla needs support now more than ever. The legacy ice carmakers are getting more and more nervous and seem to increase their effort in 'killing Tesla'.

The fundamentals of Tesla are still the same, so I don't see any reason to change your sentiment only because of the waiting time that was clear from the start.

The waiting time was not clear from the start. On the contrary, my first delivery estimate on MyTesla was second quarter 2018, then it changed to second half of 2018, now it's late 2018. And going by the fact that all US owners and non owners who reserve now or haven't even reserved yet still get pushed in between us non-US customers, coupled with the production ramp up delays, I have the feeling that come second half of 2018, my delivery estimate will have changed to some time in mid to late 2019.

I don't want to see Tesla being killed, but I welcome competetion from established automakers, just like Elon himself does. The change towards sustainable means of transportation is his ultimate goal after all.
But it could mean that in the end my first BEV might be one from a legacy automaker instead of from Tesla, because as you say, legacy automakers are doubling their efforts to come out with attractive BEVs of their own in the near future. And that near future might, just might, be nearer than my delivery window.

Don't get me wrong, I still have hopes to get my Model 3, but as soon as that delivery estimator changes from late 2018 to late 2019, I'm out.

Absolutely no consolation to me. And honestly, I used to be one of the very few extremely eager proponents of Tesla over here, spreading the faith so to speak among Germans, who on the whole are still extremely anti-BEV.
But I must admit my enthusiasm for Tesla is getting smaller and smaller, and with each passing month I am less inclined to fight against windmills trying to tell people over here how awesome Tesla is. As the more time passes, the less I believe in it myself. And that is coming from a day one reservation holder and TSLA stockholder.

The original delivery window Tesla set for Model 3 delivery was late 2017. It is now late 2017 and they are delivering M3s by the hundreds if not thousands. So, I'm not sure I understand your angst. As for legacy automakers look at the Pacifica hybrid fiasco as an example or the Chevy Bolt which was guiding 50K and only delivered ~ 23K in 2017. Patience Grasshopper.

Leave you lying there because you don’t want to let me go?

The spoiled girl, not the band. But you knew that. :)

As for the other topic, delivery priorities, would we rather live in a world where past customers were rewarded, or one where they got no benefit? Once you are an owner, too, I'm sure you'll prefer the way Tesla does it. Once you have a 3, you'll be an owner, and—one would assume—you'll get special treatment.

<rant>
As an aside, my kids can tell you this topic of "fairness" is one which has always bugged me. I tell them the definition of fair: "Fair is what people say when they want something." One you start enforcing fairness, we all get less. The ultimate fairness is that we all get nothing; that's perfectly fair. Everything else leads to butt-hurt.
</rant>

The spoiled girl, not the band. But you knew that. :)

As for the other topic, delivery priorities, would we rather live in a world where past customers were rewarded, or one where they got no benefit? Once you are an owner, too, I'm sure you'll prefer the way Tesla does it. Once you have a 3, you'll be an owner, and—one would assume—you'll get special treatment.

<rant>
As an aside, my kids can tell you this topic of "fairness" is one which has always bugged me. I tell them the definition of fair: "Fair is what people say when they want something." One you start enforcing fairness, we all get less. The ultimate fairness is that we all get nothing; that's perfectly fair. Everything else leads to butt-hurt.
</rant>

To be honest I don’t expect model 3 owners to be treated like s/x owners for any sort of priority on future stuff.

I know life isn’t fair and never will be, I just want to know how it all works behind the scenes so I can find a way to cheat.

The Model 3 will always be considered the seminal idea that shifted the transportation paradigm.

I will always applaud the Roadster, Model S and Model X owners for their roles in advancing Tesla Motors.

Model 3 owners will “Change the World”.

The Model 3 will always be considered the seminal idea that shifted the transportation paradigm.

I will always applaud the Roadster, Model S and Model X owners for their roles in advancing Tesla Motors.

Model 3 owners will “Change the World”.
Best reason to put previous Tesla owners at the front of the line?
Best way to increase the used Tesla inventory !

The waiting time was not clear from the start. On the contrary, my first delivery estimate on MyTesla was second quarter 2018, then it changed to second half of 2018, now it's late 2018. And going by the fact that all US owners and non owners who reserve now or haven't even reserved yet still get pushed in between us non-US customers, coupled with the production ramp up delays, I have the feeling that come second half of 2018, my delivery estimate will have changed to some time in mid to late 2019.

I don't want to see Tesla being killed, but I welcome competetion from established automakers, just like Elon himself does. The change towards sustainable means of transportation is his ultimate goal after all.
But it could mean that in the end my first BEV might be one from a legacy automaker instead of from Tesla, because as you say, legacy automakers are doubling their efforts to come out with attractive BEVs of their own in the near future. And that near future might, just might, be nearer than my delivery window.

Don't get me wrong, I still have hopes to get my Model 3, but as soon as that delivery estimator changes from late 2018 to late 2019, I'm out.

Whatcha gona buy after you get that bad news for a late 19 delivery so that you have your new car before you would have got your Tesla M3 in late 19. What car do you KNOW that is going to be anywhere near as good as the 3 will be availible with all of its advantages like supercharging, before then at the same or lower price? I was just curious

Reactions: mongo and Brando