Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eagerly Anticipating the First Non-Employee, Non-Current Owner Invite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Master Plan is to advance sustainable transportation.

I for one want to see the base expanded. We are privy to front row seats..........to a changing world.

It's the current owners who got Tesla here, kept them from going bankrupt, and who are the sales team for the company. Getting them into Model 3 first is the smartest thing they could do, and the quickest way to "advance sustainable transportation" IMO. I picture driving the 3 into a parking lot to buy a water heater valve and spending an hour showing off the car. Non owners might do that, too, but present owners have years of history and much experience.

The base will expand. The late comers just don't get to jump to the head of the line.

It's the current owners who got Tesla here, kept them from going bankrupt, and who are the sales team for the company. Getting them into Model 3 first is the smartest thing they could do, and the quickest way to "advance sustainable transportation" IMO. I picture driving the 3 into a parking lot to buy a water heater valve and spending an hour showing off the car. Non owners might do that, too, but present owners have years of history and much experience.

The base will expand. The late comers just don't get to jump to the head of the line.

I think it's great that Tesla is giving owners priority. However, I think the priority should have been done within each quarter. However, I don't think it's right that an owner can jump to the front of the line with an order placed in the last few months. Just my $0.02!

I think it's great that Tesla is giving owners priority. However, I think the priority should have been done within each quarter. However, I don't think it's right that an owner can jump to the front of the line with an order placed in the last few months. Just my $0.02!

I understand how people feel but as a fellow non-owner, I look at the positive side in that others will find production issues for us and the vehicles we get will be more solid.

Reactions: GLDYLX and PoitNarf

1. If it were people who bought new cars before this year, sure. But for some reason, buying a used Tesla on the open market right now (not even a CPO) still gets you priority. That didn't keep Tesla from going bankrupt, certainly not the people who bought a car a few months ago.
2. A lot of the "current owner" cars are going to family or friends of current owners. There's no "years of history or experience" there.
3. Late comers are absolutely jumping to the head of the line.

I'm not mad about these things, but let's make sure we're calling it like it is.

Reactions: 9erDog
1. If it were people who bought new cars before this year, sure. But for some reason, buying a used Tesla on the open market right now (not even a CPO) still gets you priority. That didn't keep Tesla from going bankrupt, certainly not the people who bought a car a few months ago.

So Tesla has to make rules of a cut-off date, and not for used owners, in order to be consistent enough for you to reward owners for supporting their mission? That sounds silly to me. Once you get a Tesla you're part of the Tesla family and you're helping Tesla, period. So you get priority.

2. A lot of the "current owner" cars are going to family or friends of current owners. There's no "years of history or experience" there.

So now Tesla must police what the owners do with their cars to qualify, in your view? That also sounds silly to me. A priority reward for helping Tesla means you can do what you want with it. If it makes an owner happy to have it go to family members, that's his/her reward.

3. Late comers are absolutely jumping to the head of the line.

Yes, but only after they open their pocketbooks and buy a Tesla, used or new. You can do that too if you want. It's all part of the plan that doesn't contain nitpicking for used cars or coming late to the party, nor should it in my view.

I'm not mad about these things, but let's make sure we're calling it like it is.

You're calling it like it is from your perspective, which is different than mine. But I don't see you as mad but disappointed with the delay, which is certainly understandable. As a prior owner for 4 years now, with a reservation of a Model 3 on day 1, I won't be getting mine up here until late 2018 according to my reservation page, and it sure is disappointing -- but I'm looking forward to P/D being available by then so it eases the wait.

Nice clickbait title

Yes, it sucked me in. Hopefully a mod will correct it.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
So now Tesla must police what the owners do with their cars to qualify, in your view? That also sounds silly to me. A priority reward for helping Tesla means you can do what you want with it. If it makes an owner happy to have it go to family members, that's his/her reward.
I'm just saying that any claim of it making sense to give owners priority because they'll be lower maintenance people or better cheerleaders is bad logic

Yes, but only after they open their pocketbooks and buy a Tesla, used or new. You can do that too if you want.

I tried to convince myself to, truly. I took the time to do 4 separate test drives, one of which was three days long. I ran the numbers, I decided the math was easy and I could afford a new Model S. The problem is that I couldn't convince myself it was a good value when compared to a 3, and everything used with autopilot was an even worse value if I just wanted to buy my way into the priority queue and sell it as soon as I got the car I actually want. Honestly I'd rather just pay an extra couple thousand bucks and straight up pay for an earlier delivery.

You're calling it like it is from your perspective, which is different than mine. But I don't see you as mad but disappointed with the delay, which is certainly understandable. As a prior owner for 4 years now, with a reservation of a Model 3 on day 1, I won't be getting mine up here until late 2018 according to my reservation page, and it sure is disappointing -- but I'm looking forward to P/D being available by then so it eases the wait.

Reactions: AlanSqB
The problem is that I couldn't convince myself it was a good value when compared to a 3, and everything used with autopilot was an even worse value if I just wanted to buy my way into the priority queue and sell it as soon as I got the car I actually want.

Your logic makes sense to me -- you also sound financially prudent which is admirable, especially these days.

It's the current owners who got Tesla here, kept them from going bankrupt, and who are the sales team for the company. Getting them into Model 3 first is the smartest thing they could do, and the quickest way to "advance sustainable transportation" IMO. ... The late comers just don't get to jump to the head of the line.

I am a current non-owner who reserved on April 1, 2016, as soon as it was possible over here.

I don't understand why preferring current owners should be the quickest way to advance sustainable transportation. In what way does it advance sustainable transportation if someone who already owns a BEV gets another one instead of someone who has still got to make do with an ICE who would gladly change to BEV?

I for one am really pi**ed that US owners (and even non-owners) who reserve today still get ahead of me who reserved (and also showed faith in Tesla and gave them my money) more than one and a half years ago! Tesla should draw a line somewhere and for example say, all US owners and non-owners who reserved from March 31, 2016 to December 31, 2017 get preferrential treatment, but come 2018, those foreign owners and non owners wo reserved in 2016 get their cars produced and delivered before US citizens who reserve from 2018 onwards. I know if they keep doing it like they do and my delivery gets pushed even further back, i.e. into 2019, I will cancel my reservation and not give Tesla another glance in future. After all, three years since making the deposit, that's how it was back in communist Eastern Germany for crying out loud.

Reactions: DavidP
I'm just saying that any claim of it making sense to give owners priority because they'll be lower maintenance people or better cheerleaders is bad logic

I tried to convince myself to, truly. I took the time to do 4 separate test drives, one of which was three days long. I ran the numbers, I decided the math was easy and I could afford a new Model S. The problem is that I couldn't convince myself it was a good value when compared to a 3, and everything used with autopilot was an even worse value if I just wanted to buy my way into the priority queue and sell it as soon as I got the car I actually want. Honestly I'd rather just pay an extra couple thousand bucks and straight up pay for an earlier delivery.

Which makes you more informed that the average consumer and not fitting in the theoretical case I was speaking of (large numbers, not single individuals).
Just an extra 15 minutes at orientation would cut delivery rate 33% (assuming base cycle time of 30 minutes).
On average:
Current owners have a particular skill set that is very useful toward not needing support:
Charging (home and away)
Cold weather/ rain /snow impact
Aluminum body panel care
Autopilot (varies over model year)
Creep
Regen
OTA updates
Ranger/ SvC

Maybe the should they have had a 1 year/ 200 post TMC category also... (I am not an owner currently or previously).

@AustinPowers
It helps due to less effort needed to support the first group of vehicles, especially as SvC are ramping up. Just as starting in California makes things faster and easier.
It helps if the 3 will be used, ICE miles replaced are good regardless of family car count. I do agree if getting a 3 makes an S not driven, that is not helpful. However, it could also be the case that the older Tesla becomes a CPO for someone else.

I understand the annoyance and waiting longer, but once Tesla hits 1k cars per week, the line jumping of a new owner delays things by 10 minutes. If all new owners continually reserve a 3, that would be a problem.