Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP and BETA updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 Long Range is equipped with EAP. Autosteer, Navigate on Autopilot and Summon are all labeled BETA. Does anyone have an idea/opinion/knowledge about when these three features will no longer be in BETA? Will they become fully functional once FSD is rolled out or just improve as updates continue to be pushed out?

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
EAP is (likely) feature complete and will only receive safety improvements. It will NEVER be FSD and the functions you have now will be all you will get. However you can buy the FSD update at anytime to add functions. Beta is likely to be ?????????????????? or longer.

When FSD "rolls out" it will still be Beta for a LOOOOONG time too.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe
My Model 3 Long Range is equipped with EAP. Autosteer, Navigate on Autopilot and Summon are all labeled BETA. Does anyone have an idea/opinion/knowledge about when these three features will no longer be in BETA? Will they become fully functional once FSD is rolled out or just improve as updates continue to be pushed out?
Was there an official answer to OP on removing BETA from Autosteer, Navigate on Autopilot and Summon? Are those features still in Beta? Despite whatever is going on with FSD. Is calling something Beta indefinitely just a weasel word way for avoiding responsibility for it?

This is an interesting question. As far as I know, auto steer and summon type of features are now available for many cars in the market, and I don't believe any of the other manufacturers have labeled them as beta. Does calling it a beta give Tesla more legal protection in case something goes wrong?

I don't believe Tesla is using the beta tag in an appropriate manner. Beta should mean the SW may contain bugs, and issues that are being worked on. Where the company has a way to report issues, and they'll respond to them.

There is no evidence that I've seen that any improvements are actually being made to any of the "beta" features.

They suck just as much today as they did years ago.

Like today I had an intervention for only AP. The intervention was not letting it re-center when two lanes were merging into one where I was in the non-merging lane.

That issue existed the first day I got my Model 3 back in 2018. It's such a trivial thing to fix, but Tesla won't fix it.

At this point I can't help, but call it abandonware.

Tesla is so focused on FSD beta that until its release I don't believe any of the numerous issues I have with AP/EAP/FSD will get fixed until then.

I'm pretty excited that a Tesla owner in the Seattle area finally got the FSD beta. The only bad thing is he's a pro-Tesla bro dude that I normally steer clear from, but he's the only local. I'll have to play nice and hope that he takes suggestions for places to fail. I have not just places where AP fails, but I have places where I've failed due to confusion.

EAP is (likely) feature complete and will only receive safety improvements. It will NEVER be FSD and the functions you have now will be all you will get. However you can buy the FSD update at anytime to add functions. Beta is likely to be ?????????????????? or longer.

When FSD "rolls out" it will still be Beta for a LOOOOONG time too.

EAP may be feature complete, but the codebase will switch to the current private beta and then when that gets completely remediated the beta flag might get removed.

This is an interesting question. As far as I know, auto steer and summon type of features are now available for many cars in the market, and I don't believe any of the other manufacturers have labeled them as beta. Does calling it a beta give Tesla more legal protection in case something goes wrong?

The word "beta" does seem to get jumped on quickly by those defending poor performance. Here's a quote from the crash in 2016:

"It is important to note that Tesla disables Autopilot by default and requires explicit acknowledgement that the system is new technology and still in a public beta phase before it can be enabled."
A Tragic Loss

Yes, I believe that leaving something in beta allows this kind of legal defense, or at least encourages a blame the victim mentality. Are they leaving things in beta on purpose for this reason? Well that would be unethical, so of course not. Yes, surely it must be "abandonware" as S4WRXTTCS points out. They must have just forgotten to finish it.

The word "beta" does seem to get jumped on quickly by those defending poor performance. Here's a quote from the crash in 2016:

"It is important to note that Tesla disables Autopilot by default and requires explicit acknowledgement that the system is new technology and still in a public beta phase before it can be enabled."
A Tragic Loss

Yes, I believe that leaving something in beta allows this kind of legal defense, or at least encourages a blame the victim mentality. Are they leaving things in beta on purpose for this reason? Well that would be unethical, so of course not. Yes, surely it must be "abandonware" as S4WRXTTCS points out. They must have just forgotten to finish it.
Sort of my belief, too. Leaving it in Beta probably provides them with some sort of semblance of putting more of an onus on the customer to take responsibility. In fact, not sure why they’d ever want or need to remove the beta tag.

Reactions: Dan D.
Sort of my belief, too. Leaving it in Beta probably provides them with some sort of semblance of putting more of an onus on the customer to take responsibility. In fact, not sure why they’d ever want or need to remove the beta tag.
If your product is well-tested and safe for use under reasonable situations then it should not be beta. If you are leaving it in beta without regular updates then it should be pulled from use as it shows no progress.

If you have so little confidence in your experimental product that you have to continually call it beta, yet you allow everyone to keep using it; well, someone said this once: “Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.”

If your product is well-tested and safe for use under reasonable situations then it should not be beta. If you are leaving it in beta without regular updates then it should be pulled from use as it shows no progress.

If you have so little confidence in your experimental product that you have to continually call it beta, yet you allow everyone to keep using it; well, someone said this once: “Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.”
I agree. With so many people buy FSD at what is now $10k/pop though, beta doesn’t seem to be a deterrent. So if it limits liabilities to some degree, there’s probably not much reason for them to remove that tag.

Coming from the software world, it just sounds amateur to me and that it isn’t ready for the real world, but that’s just me. :)

Reactions: goRt
I agree. With so many people buy FSD at what is now $10k/pop though, beta doesn’t seem to be a deterrent. So if it limits liabilities to some degree, there’s probably not much reason for them to remove that tag.

Coming from the software world, it just sounds amateur to me and that it isn’t ready for the real world, but that’s just me. :)
I think it may also be a marketing thing. It just sounds cool to say you're using some beta product, especially to certain kinds of people who like exciting stuff.

That's all fine until something bad happens and then you find out that the 'cool' company is actually using the word beta as legal protection against you.