Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly would "just auto lane change" consist of? And where are these subset subscription availability dates coming from?

Funny about "drunken sailor". Evidently a lot of them on the road in front and to the sides of me. People driving manually don't center in their lanes worth a blapp. Musk was right when he said you can spot a car in autopilot by the way it centers. My Nicki's no sailor. When I turn off NOA, that's when it's actually worse, as evidenced by MY lane departure warning (surprise!) kicking in now and then, LOL.

One detail about trying out EAP briefly. It's not a very good test. It took me weeks to get the hang of it. It's not like you click it on and it's your chauffeur. It's a different way to drive. There are option tweaks for your driving prefs, and there are mental tweaks to get the most out of it. For one thing, always start out setting the Speed Limit Assist to Relative and 5 MPH under the speed limit. That prevents the bat out of hell drunken sailor effect, and you scroll up the speed after a few seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: PACEMD
Wonder why only some folks are getting an email regarding the EAP until Sep 30th. Nothing “official” out there or on the Tesla website, just the same screenshot. Seems odd.

Well considering it shows in the upgrade section, I wouldn't peg it as that odd.

What exactly would "just auto lane change" consist of? And where are these subset subscription availability dates coming from?

Funny about "drunken sailor". Evidently a lot of them on the road in front and to the sides of me. People driving manually don't center in their lanes worth a blapp. Musk was right when he said you can spot a car in autopilot by the way it centers. My Nicki's no sailor. When I turn off NOA, that's when it's actually worse, as evidenced by MY lane departure warning (surprise!) kicking in now and then, LOL.

One detail about trying out EAP briefly. It's not a very good test. It took me weeks to get the hang of it. It's not like you click it on and it's your chauffeur. It's a different way to drive. There are option tweaks for your driving prefs, and there are mental tweaks to get the most out of it. For one thing, always start out setting the Speed Limit Assist to Relative and 5 MPH under the speed limit. That prevents the bat out of hell drunken sailor effect, and you scroll up the speed after a few seconds.

In June of this year, Elon tweeted that there will be a subscription based option of FSD. Other than that, I have no idea why people think an ala carte option is coming where you can pick and choose features. I highly doubt that will be the case. I think it will be a straight up FSD subscription option, and there will be no middle option of EAP in subscription form.

Reactions: Fernand and MP3Mike
Well considering it shows in the upgrade section, I wouldn't peg it as that odd.

In June of this year, Elon tweeted that there will be a subscription based option of FSD. Other than that, I have no idea why people think an ala carte option is coming where you can pick and choose features. I highly doubt that will be the case. I think it will be a straight up FSD subscription option, and there will be no middle option of EAP in subscription form.
Lol same

I don’t know why people think they will just make people choose auto lane change for cheaper...

DAFC7C92-20BD-48C9-A675-D10D27437F1B.jpeg

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
How do you like it so far???
So far I'm on my third day of commute. I've just clocked in over 200+miles with NoA. I thought this morning, how did I change lanes before EAP? Oh ya, I'd slightly pull the wheel toward the lane change side and tap the blinker at the same time to disengage autosteer, then change lane, double tap right stalk to reengage autosteer. Now, the car will change lane when it detects the car in front of me going slower than my set speed (mine is on avg setting, not mad max) and it did want me to cut more than I'd like, so I'll change settings to low. Since I've gotten my Tesla, I don't mind the slower driving. It is way more efficient going +5 above 65mph zone than 80mph like this E63 amg wagon every morning weaving traffic.

Overall, I don't regret not requesting a refund. This is a different feeling than "I'm so glad I paid $4000 for eap" if you want what I mean. The latter emotion comes with excitement. The true feeling I have is that this is a nice feature to have and I can see myself using it for the next 15years.

I'll probably never trust the car to do summon or auto park. Just seeing cringy videos of scraping makes me never want to try it.

• Informative
Reactions: Noodles
Hmm... I'm still on my 48-hr. window for trying out NOA. So far I'm lukewarm on its performance... it's bouncing me around like a drunken sailor. If I'm to believe what Elon Musk just said about re-writing the entire software making it light years better, should I go ahead with the purchase? Well, do I feel lucky?
Try the NoA with lane change setting to low instead of avg or mad max. This way it doesn't bounce around as much. Also I am using the confirmation prior to change do I can stay in control.

So far I'm on my third day of commute. I've just clocked in over 200+miles with NoA. I thought this morning, how did I change lanes before EAP? Oh ya, I'd slightly pull the wheel toward the lane change side and tap the blinker at the same time to disengage autosteer, then change lane, double tap right stalk to reengage autosteer. Now, the car will change lane when it detects the car in front of me going slower than my set speed (mine is on avg setting, not mad max) and it did want me to cut more than I'd like, so I'll change settings to low. Since I've gotten my Tesla, I don't mind the slower driving. It is way more efficient going +5 above 65mph zone than 80mph like this E63 amg wagon every morning weaving traffic.

Overall, I don't regret not requesting a refund. This is a different feeling than "I'm so glad I paid $4000 for eap" if you want what I mean. The latter emotion comes with excitement. The true feeling I have is that this is a nice feature to have and I can see myself using it for the next 15years.

I'll probably never trust the car to do summon or auto park. Just seeing cringy videos of scraping makes me never want to try it.

A little tip most people do not know: When you are using regular AP and engage your turn signal, it actually reduces the amount of pressure you have to apply to the wheel to disengage AP. Like you, the auto lane change is something I really want, but not $4K want. I would personally rather pay the long term higher cost of a subscription based FSD than $4K for EAP today. That is me though, and has a lot to do with being able to use FSD start to finish, highway to city.

A little tip most people do not know: When you are using regular AP and engage your turn signal, it actually reduces the amount of pressure you have to apply to the wheel to disengage AP. Like you, the auto lane change is something I really want, but not $4K want. I would personally rather pay the long term higher cost of a subscription based FSD than $4K for EAP today. That is me though, and has a lot to do with being able to use FSD start to finish, highway to city.

I'm in the same boat. My plan is to just wait it out for FSD to be worth it. Having the standard AP is plenty enough for me right now. I'd love to have auto lane change, but it's not worth 4k to me especially for my all of 15 min commute. I just get on the highway and click AP on now.

I'm in the same boat. My plan is to just wait it out for FSD to be worth it. Having the standard AP is plenty enough for me right now. I'd love to have auto lane change, but it's not worth 4k to me especially for my all of 15 min commute. I just get on the highway and click AP on now.
Ya for those who don't commute much, no need for EAP. I do 90% driving daily totalling 55-60miles a day. So for me, it actually makes my commute fairly easy. This is even more worth while for people driving 100+miles a day. Even during COVID time, I still commuted daily for essential work.

• Informative
Reactions: bdub85
Ya for those who don't commute much, no need for EAP. I do 90% driving daily totalling 55-60miles a day. So for me, it actually makes my commute fairly easy. This is even more worth while for people driving 100+miles a day. Even during COVID time, I still commuted daily for essential work.

No doubt. I used to drive 80-90 miles a day when I had my last Tesla with EAP/NOA. Sometimes I'd hit 150 miles a day. I got a ton of use out of NOA. It makes a lot of sense for people who drive a bunch.